Hi, If I take USMLEs as US citizen, do I have a good chance of residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hesham Aziz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also, do I get to get the same benefits (salary, placement, etc) as US MD graduates? I've seen stats from 2014, but I need more information, such as people who went down the same path.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, do I get to get the same benefits (salary, placement, etc) as US MD graduates? I've seen stats from 2014, but I need more information, such as people who went down the same path.

Thank you.
Your "chances" depend on so many variables. For example, your USMLE Step 1 and Step 2CK/CS attempts and scores, USCE, LORs, what specialty you are applying to, if you need a visa, how well you integrate into US society and culture which can affect patient care, etc.

NRMP has more recent data than 2014.

If you're accepted into a US residency program, then you would get the same salary as others at the same program at the same level.

Your "chances" depend on so many variables. For example, your USMLE Step 1 and Step 2CK/CS attempts and scores, USCE, LORs, what specialty you are applying to, if you need a visa, how well you integrate into US society and culture which can affect patient care, etc.

NRMP has more recent data than 2014.

If you're accepted into a US residency program, then you would get the same salary as others at the same program at the same level.

I am for neurosurgery or general surgery and I bet these are really high demand residencies, aren't they?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am for neurosurgery or general surgery and I bet these are really high demand residencies, aren't they?
According to the NRMP 2017 Advance Data Tables:
  • Neurosurgery: 183 US seniors filled 218 positions offered. I assume that left 35 positions filled by US-IMGs or IMGs.
  • General surgery (categorical): 1005 US seniors filled 1281 positions offered. I assume that left 276 positions filled by US-IMGs or IMGs.

Only 9 US IMG's attending medical school in Egypt matched into a preferred residency of any kind.
70 did not.

Those who matched will get the same salary as others in their residency and may compete on equal footing for fellowships and jobs or appointments.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've left out lots of information that's in your other thread, on the Premed forum. There, you mention that you're just now applying to college and have the option of staying in the US, or going to Egypt for a combined undergrad/medical program. If you stay in the US, you'll need to compete to get a spot in med school which isn't easy, but if you do get a spot then you'll have all options open to you. If you go to the combined program in Egypt, you'll find that getting a spot as an IMG limits your options, with best chances in Family Medicine. But as mentioned above, this would really depend upon your performance and you could easily not get a spot at all.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't really understand your logic...do you just want to study in Egypt? If so, why not attend
an American university and do a semester or year abroad. While American universities are considerably more expensive than universities abroad, you can still attend fairly cheaply if you go in-state and are strategic.

Ultimately, if you want to live and practice in the U.S., and you want the same opportunities as other U.S. citizens, then you'll have to make the same investment in terms of educational time and training that they do. Otherwise, you can go abroad for education but you won't have the same opportunities when you attempt to come back. If you're okay with that, and the potential that you may never practice in the U.S., then fine. But asking the same question, in different ways, isn't going to get you an answer that makes you feel better about making a choice that you clearly know has considerable risk.

My best to you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

According to the NRMP 2017 Advance Data Tables:
  • Neurosurgery: 183 US seniors filled 218 positions offered. I assume that left 35 positions filled by US-IMGs or IMGs.
  • General surgery (categorical): 1005 US seniors filled 1281 positions offered. I assume that left 276 positions filled by US-IMGs or IMGs.

IIRC US Seniors don't include DOs. So of the 35 positions left, most probably went to DOs, with only a handful for IMGs/FMGs.

IIRC US Seniors don't include DOs. So of the 35 positions left, most probably went to DOs, with only a handful for IMGs/FMGs.

US Seniors does not include DOs. Check the 2016 PD survey here:

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

For neurosurgery specifically, p. 63. n=29, but the statistics for PDs considering DOs for interview (versus US IMG in parentheses)

• Often: 7% (11%)
  • Seldom: 50% (79%)
  • Never: 43% (11%)
For ranking candidates, the PD survey looks like this (again, US IMG in parentheses)
  • Often: 7% (15%)
  • Seldom: 37% (70%)
  • Never: 56% (15%)
Neurosurgery is a very difficult specialty to match into regardless of where you're from, but it doesn't look like DOs have much of an advantage over US IMGs based on the data.

Last edited: