Hem/Onc Waiver Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

droption

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I am applying to fellowships this year and was wondering if anyone here has ever done a waiver in Hem/Onc.
- How easy is it to find one?
- Which places is it available?
- Compensation is the same, better or worse?
- Can a university offers you a waiver after you finish the fellow? How common is it?

Best

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not easy.

However, midwestern and northern states should have some opportunities.
I have heard of people doing waiver jobs in UNMC in Nebraska, Mayo Clinic, Rochester.
I have heard about waiver job postings in a suburb outside Houston.
NIH could be another place if you can get into the fellowship there and impress your way into a national interest waiver.
These are all in hem/onc.

Sorry to bump into an old thread...I am making my rank list for IM residency
Don't know how should I rank an H visa vs a slightly better J visa program

i've heard that most Hem-Onc wavier jobs are clinically heavy
and I definitely want to keep the door open for an academic career
Any suggestion on getting a clearer picture of Hem-Onc waiver jobs?
I've tried to google these Hem-Onc waiver openings, but there's no obvious search portal for them...

Members don't see this ad :)
As an IMG that just went through the fellowship match, I think you are getting WAY ahead of yourself. Your goal should be to get into the best IM residency possible. Ideally, a place that has a Heme/Onc residency in house if that's your interest. However, it's been said numerous times that career interest can change in residency, so you should go to a place that allows for a broad range of exposure. As an IMG from a community program, I can tell you that matching into fellowship is no small feat for an IMG. You will need to go to a place with connections, get research, and perform well enough to get LORs to open doors for interviews. Big time academic fellowship programs where you transition to an academic career tend to be harder for IMGs especially if you need visa sponsorship. I don't want to discourage you, just want to share my experience so you can make an informed decision.

As an IMG that just went through the fellowship match, I think you are getting WAY ahead of yourself. Your goal should be to get into the best IM residency possible. Ideally, a place that has a Heme/Onc residency in house if that's your interest. However, it's been said numerous times that career interest can change in residency, so you should go to a place that allows for a broad range of exposure. As an IMG from a community program, I can tell you that matching into fellowship is no small feat for an IMG. You will need to go to a place with connections, get research, and perform well enough to get LORs to open doors for interviews. Big time academic fellowship programs where you transition to an academic career tend to be harder for IMGs especially if you need visa sponsorship. I don't want to discourage you, just want to share my experience so you can make an informed decision.

Thank you for your advice. I definitely want to go into a program that keeps all the doors open for me :)