Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whipple1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever given up an out-of match fellowship position before starting?? I wont be able to stay in the country secondary to family stuff going on... and do not really know how to go about this.

Thanks for any help

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, this has happened. And it's easy. You send them a note (or even better, call the PD) and explain the situation. Apologize profusely, resign your position. Do it as early as possible, so they can hire someone new / fix the schedule. Since there's no match, there's no waiver needed.

Will you be able to get a spot again in the future? Hard to tell -- depends upon how competitive you are, and how non-competitive the fellowship is. If you're polite enough with the program and they liked you, they might consider you for the future -- although I wouldn't count on this.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for your reply, I sent them a note tonight to try and give them the most time before July 1st. Will call them in the morning.