This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littleraindrops.j

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for MD/PhD last cycle and did not get any interviews or acceptances.
I think I know where my weaknesses are - MCAT and GPA.
My undergrad GPA was poor as I was ill most of the time, but postbac work proved I could do better (3.9 for three years).

I'm in process of applying for master's programs in various disciplines so I can further prove that I can do better GPA-wise.
So my main concern is the MCAT.
I took the old one- did horribly. Prepped for the new one and received 499.
I am trying to improve the MCAT score, but I've never been good at taking standardized test (although I don't have anxiety.. in fact I am more anxious when I take class exams for school).
I have been enrolled to two different MCAT prep courses, but neither improved my score as I had hoped.
I do problems. I review them. I understand them at the time of reviewing them.
I have had trouble with application of the concepts even in classes in school, but with so much repetition and practice, I was able to get to a point where I felt comfortable.
With MCAT, it's a different story because the range of materials covered is so broad, so mastering in certain concepts may not be useful on some of the topics.
So I feel lost.

Currently I am watching Khan Academy videos, reading EK books, doing TPR problems, taking practice tests... etc. What else can I do to improve? Or how can I change the strategy at all to approach MCAT completely differently?

I need your wisdom. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the sections you think you can improve on- what were the breakdowns for your scores? I think anyone's advice to you will depend on what section you did more badly on, since the sections are pretty different. CARS vs Physics vs Bio or Psych/Soc are studied for slightly differently by most people, and because of that effective strategies for each section are not the same.

Aside from that, you can probably use some small study tools to help you focus (if you've done this already just ignore me haha). Things that help are:

-always taking a test as if you were taking an mcat (full day starting at 8, treat the breaks just as strictly as if you were taking the real test)
-studying at times you would normally take the test if possible, and getting up at the same time you plan on getting up for test day.

The more you can make test day feel to you as if it were just any other day, the easier it will be for your mind to utilize its limited energy towards recalling information and analyzing new information rather than managing the nerves and stimuli of test day itself. Small things like this, and eating the same food/smelling the same scent on test day that you smell/eat while you study surprisingly make a difference for most people if you adhere to the associations relatively stringently. Taking standardized testing oftentimes is a skill that can be learned even if you aren't "naturally" good at it, given that most are formulaic and as such can be broken down into whether the difficulties arise from dealing with the type of problems given to you or the particular environment the test is administered in.