Help with ranking programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FamilyMedDude1000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

So I am trying to figure out my ranklist. I have 6 very diverse programs that I am trying to figure out the rank order. I would be very happy with any of these programs. If you were to rank these, how would you rank them?

Ventura, OHSU Cascades East, Tacoma Family Medicine, Peacehealth Southwest, Thomas Jefferson Family Medicine, and Missouri University Columbia Family Medicine.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

So I am trying to figure out my ranklist. I have 6 very diverse programs that I am trying to figure out the rank order. I would be very happy with any of these programs. If you were to rank these, how would you rank them?

Ventura, OHSU Cascades East, Tacoma Family Medicine, Peacehealth Southwest, Thomas Jefferson Family Medicine, and Missouri University Columbia Family Medicine.

Thanks!

I'd personally rank them the way you have them. Would be tempted to move peace health higher, but mainly because I LOVE PORTLAND, OR.

Reactions: 1 user
yeah, I agree. Of course Ventura #1.

I need help with my rank order as well..actually my top 4, the rest i'm ranking below these:
UPMC, Casewestern (Metro), and 2 texas programs. I'm a Caribbean grad, so getting an interview in my home-state is extremely valued!

Would it be a poor choice to rank community Texas programs over the two prestigious family programs just because I want to be near my grandparents and parents?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just rank them in the order you want to go to them. There is no strategy beyond that.

Reactions: 3 users

I need help with my rank order as well..actually my top 4, the rest i'm ranking below these:
UPMC, Casewestern (Metro), and 2 texas programs. I'm a Caribbean grad, so getting an interview in my home-state is extremely valued!

Would it be a poor choice to rank community Texas programs over the two prestigious family programs just because I want to be near my grandparents and parents?

Dude, the match is about you. You'll come out of almost all programs with the ability to do pretty much the same things. Put the programs in order of how you liked them. You can't go wrong doing that.

Also, which UPMC out of curiosity? They each have very different characteristics and noticeably different patient populations.

Also prestige isn't really a thing in FM. Different programs offer different things. University vs. community honestly isn't a big deal, and in many cases you might get better training at a community or communiversity program than a straight heavily opposed university program.

There is no trick to the match. You rank the programs based on what you want. If being closer to family is very important to you and you liked the programs, do that. Location is the top reason people rank programs the way they do. Far after that its fit, opportunities, curriculum, perceived prestige, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I really appreciate your honesty.

It's UPMC Presbytarian-Shadyside. It's a very prestigious family medicine program, and established over 30 years. I really like the program and faculty. They see CMU patients, have Univ Pitt students rotating there, and have a connection with FQHC facility that treats under served populations. They rotate through MgGee women's for ob/gyn, and UPMC Children's for peds. Very diverse patient population in that socioeconomic aspect.

I'm seeing for family medicine, most people stay where ever they're trained...so I'm ranking the 2 texas programs higher...at this point I should be hoping to just match!

Not an FM person, but having spent three months at UPMC St. Margaret's for my inpatient medicine rotations on service with the FM folks, I can share some relatively unbiased thoughts. PM me if interested.

Hey, I really appreciate your honesty.

It's UPMC Presbytarian-Shadyside. It's a very prestigious family medicine program, and established over 30 years. I really like the program and faculty. They see CMU patients, have Univ Pitt students rotating there, and have a connection with FQHC facility that treats under served populations. They rotate through MgGee women's for ob/gyn, and UPMC Children's for peds. Very diverse patient population in that socioeconomic aspect.

I'm seeing for family medicine, most people stay where ever they're trained...so I'm ranking the 2 texas programs higher...at this point I should be hoping to just match!

Good luck on the match! I hope you get your number 1!

Presby-Shadyside has a lot of good features. There are other residents rotating through, but they have their own FM unit in the hospital. I'd say the patients they serve are relatively diverse, you'll see some lower SES as well as a good amount of middle, and some higher.

They seem to really only take DOs in the AOA match, so just a heads up for others, but this might change in the future.

I agree with everyone above, especially Hallowman's post, that mentioned that this match is really all about your priorities. Despite what US-News would say, the only national rankings for FM programs that truly matter are yours. I currently go to a "top" Med school, received interviews to all the programs I applied to and interviewed at "top FM programs" such as Ventura, UCSF, etc. I can tell you that I won't be ranking some of these highly touted programs because it doesn't fit with what I want out of life and what I plan to do in the future. Ventura isnt and should not be everyone's default #1 just because they have a huge banner on their hospital that says they're the #1 fm Med program in the nation. If prestige is what you want, chase it, though as some have mentioned, prestige in FM isn't really thing in FM... Anyways, best of luck to you all on the match!

Reactions: 1 users
I wanted to say THANK YOU for everyone's advice and input. I MATCHED MY #1. Nothing can compete with hearing the sound of your grandfather laughing hysterically with sheer joy after hearing his granddaughter is coming back home for training. :)

Reactions: 3 users