Help with my school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fldoctorgirl

IM PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
[stats removed for anonymity]

Currently, my list consists of Nova and LECOM. If anyone has any further suggestions, I would very much appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
anywhere you want to go in the country with your grades

or is this a more "which are the best schools and why" post instead of a "where should I apply to ensure an acceptance"

The broad consensus on this forum seems to be that most DO schools are serviceable besides liberty and the coastal touros (according to Goro) with a few being slightly better.

anywhere you want to go in the country with your grades

or is this a more "which are the best schools and why" post instead of a "where should I apply to ensure an acceptance"

The broad consensus on this forum seems to be that most DO schools are serviceable besides liberty and the coastal touros (according to Goro) with a few being slightly better.
I have heard already that I can apply to any school with my grades. I guess I am asking more so which are the best schools and why. I am not super familiar with many DO schools, but I would like to add more schools to my app asap. I would also like to add more relatively close to FL, so eastern U.S. if possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard already that I can apply to any school with my grades. I guess I am asking more so which are the best schools and why. I am not super familiar with many DO schools, but I would like to add more schools to my app asap. I would also like to add more relatively close to FL, so eastern U.S. if possible.
From what I understand, the 'strongest' are sorted into old and private (PCOM, CCOM, DMUCOM, KCOM, KCUMB) and public (MSUCOM, OUHCOM, OSUCOM, Rowan).

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to the MSAR for DO schools, or do I just have to go to each school's website and try to find info on MCAT/GPA?

@YayPudding do you know anything about the Georgia PCOM campus? Is it lower quality than the main? It would be closer to home for me so just wondering...

@YayPudding do you know anything about the Georgia PCOM campus? Is it lower quality than the main? It would be closer to home for me so just wondering...
Sorry, I really don't know but no doubt SDN can help if you search around! NSUCOM is great school, though

Would like to chime in with a question. Are the state DO schools (MSUCOM, OUHCOM, OSUCOM, Rowan) basically no-gos for out of state students, or is there a chance to get in? If so, what factors are most important to getting into a state school as an OOS applicant?

Would like to chime in with a question. Are the state DO schools (MSUCOM, OUHCOM, OSUCOM, Rowan) basically no-gos for out of state students, or is there a chance to get in? If so, what factors are most important to getting into a state school as an OOS applicant?

There is always a chance to get in, but that chance is low. Most state schools have to fulfill a quota of in-state matriculants, and that percentage can range anywhere from 60% to 90%. Most have their quotas near the higher end, so in a class of 150 students, only around 15 seats are available to OOS'ers. Obviously not the best odds.

Some important factors I believe OOS'ers should have are:
- Higher than average MCAT scores and GPAs (this is almost a must)
- Strong ties with the state that the school is in
- Strong identification with the school's mission (e.g. rural general practice, helping the under-served, etc.)

Following because the OP is my doppleganger. I'm applying LECOM, Nova, PCOM, VCOM as far as location is considered.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally suggest PNWU, AT Still, ACOM, RVUCOM, and Des Moines

ACOM is still a fairly new school, PNWU favors the home team and is nowhere near the East coast. RVUCOM is far from where OP wants to go.

@fldoctorgirl
What would you rather be? A DO or MD? If it doesn't matter then apply to both but if you prefer MD, study for a Mcat retake and don't apply DO.

Last edited:
ACOM is still a fairly new school, PNWU favors the home team and is nowhere near the East coast. RVUCOM is far from where OP wants to go.

@fldoctorgirl
What would you rather be? A DO or MD? If it doesn't matter then apply to both but if you prefer MD, study for a Mcat retake and don't apply DO.
It doesn't matter to me. I just want to be a doctor at the end of the day, and I'm not interested in super competitive specialities like plastics, derm, or orthopedics.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Des Moines is on my list and actually one of my top choices, it looks like a fantastic program.

What are your thoughts on RVUCOM? I'm not opposed to the location, but when I saw it was for-profit I got kind of spooked.

It doesn't matter to me. I just want to be a doctor at the end of the day, and I'm not interested in super competitive specialities like plastics, derm, or orthopedics.
You seriously are my doppelgänger. I hope we go to the same school so I can meet you lol. And I see you like Grey's. I'll be Merideth to your Christina.

Reactions: 1 users

That's great to hear OP. You'll make a great doctor someday. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
You seriously are my doppelgänger. I hope we go to the same school so I can meet you lol. And I see you like Grey's. I'll be Merideth to your Christina.
Haha maybe I'll catch you at interviews some day soon! ;)
That's great to hear OP. You'll make a great doctor someday. Good luck.
Thank you for the kind words!

I went to a PCOM GA open house and was not very impressed with the school. The Osteopathic School was located in the same building as 3 other (I think) healthcare related schools (Pharmacy, Masters program, and something else) and everything felt disorganized and cluttered. So much that I'm a GA resident and I don't think I will be applying there this cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Is NSU your top choice? Should have no problem getting an II seeing as they love high GPA applicants over MCAT (and mind you, your MCAT is not bad at all!)

As a Florida resident, you might have an outside chance at instate MD. NSU should be your top choice for DO d/t location. Maybe kcu after that. Most of the other DO schools in the southeast have issues (LECOM-B, WCU) or are new and should really just be safety schools.

With your stats, you can go to just about any DO school so just pick where you want to live and make sure the school doesn't have mandatory attendance ;)

As a Florida resident, you might have an outside chance at instate MD. NSU should be your top choice for DO d/t location. Maybe kcu after that. Most of the other DO schools in the southeast have issues (LECOM-B, WCU) or are new and should really just be safety schools.

With your stats, you can go to just about any DO school so just pick where you want to live and make sure the school doesn't have mandatory attendance ;)
What issues does LECOM-B have? It's my top choice for DO right now.

NSU all the way!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Losing Florida rotation sites if I understand correctly. Also low Step2 pass rate?
Thanks for the info. I'm also applying to Nova, we'll see how it goes!

What issues does LECOM-B have? It's my top choice for DO right now.

Third year rotations are a disaster and their low level 2 pass rate is a reflection of that. If the tuition is the main selling point for you, the campuses in PA don't have those issues. Administration at all LECOM campuses is notoriously difficult to work with, but plenty of people can keep their heads down and get through it.

If location is the big selling point, nsu is the best and then acom is only like 20 minutes from Florida.

Thank you all for your advice!

NSU is definitely up there for me due to location, but I also really like DMUCOM and RVUCOM, so we'll see!

Oh, also apply to UM. My friend got taken off the waitlist a few weeks ago and his stats were similar to yours.

Oh, also apply to UM. My friend got taken off the waitlist a few weeks ago and his stats were similar to yours.
University of Miami? On my list, if so...I am applying to all the MD programs in my state because I figure I have the best shot there.

Is there a list of schools without mandatory attendance?

Is there a list of schools without mandatory attendance?

Not to my knowledge. Every time I see an attempt at a list like that, it never actually gets completed.

My own incomplete list of schools without mandatory attendance:

KCU
KCOM
DMU
OSU
BCOM (I think)
LMU-DCOM

With mandatory attendance:
LECOM-E (LDP pathway)
ACOM (80%)
VCOM and it's spinoffs (85%)
CUSOM
Touro-NY (clickers are 10-20% of grade)
WCU
UNECOM (recently went mandatory iirc)
KYCOM 1st semester

That's all I can recall off the top of my head.

I went to a PCOM GA open house and was not very impressed with the school. The Osteopathic School was located in the same building as 3 other (I think) healthcare related schools (Pharmacy, Masters program, and something else) and everything felt disorganized and cluttered. So much that I'm a GA resident and I don't think I will be applying there this cycle.

Not surprised you had this impression during an open house. Multiple sources have mentioned administration is subpar but faculty is solid and makes up for it.

Happily going here in the fall don't rescind my acceptance GA-PCOM

I wouldn't refuse to apply here if you are a GA resident. They love GA applicants and you never know how well your application cycle is going to turn out. Administration is getting better and has made some big changes to our incoming class.

No required attendance (except for clicker pts, guest lectures), lectures recorded. The school puts you in a position to succeed.

@fldoctorgirl GA-PCOM is obviously not on the same level as the philly campus but I would put it on the same level as the newer schools (ACOM). Going here is better than being a reapplicant.

I know a PCOM-GA EM doc who is fantastic. They do put you in a position to become a great doctor.

Not to my knowledge. Every time I see an attempt at a list like that, it never actually gets completed.

My own incomplete list of schools without mandatory attendance:

KCU
KCOM
DMU
OSU
BCOM (I think)
LMU-DCOM

With mandatory attendance:
LECOM-E (LDP pathway)
ACOM (80%)
VCOM and it's spinoffs (85%)
CUSOM
Touro-NY (clickers are 10-20% of grade)
WCU
UNECOM (recently went mandatory iirc)
KYCOM 1st semester

That's all I can recall off the top of my head.

Thanks for the list I appreciate it. I too have had a hard time finding a reliable list. I'm fairly certain PCOM is without mandatory attendance as well.

For a DO school in AZ (OOS), which one is "better": AT Still or Midwestern?