Help with calculation regarding tuition and living expenses for NYU please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Demidude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to be starting as a D1 at NYU in a few weeks and I felt like I was in a slightly better financial situation than most students starting at NYU but some recent threads about NYU have started to scare me. I've always been aware that the cost to attend NYU is high, but I'm unfamiliar with living expenses in the NY area and I'm not sure how quickly the tuition will change over the next 4 years (D1-D4). Thus, I was wondering if an NYU student who is familiar with these details could help gauge my financial situation upon graduation. Here's where I stand at the moment:

1. My family definitely has at least 200K on hand to contribute towards my tuition (my grandparents are responsible for 1/2 of that and I have to pay them back but at no interest)
2. I'm living in the basement studio (30-40 mins commute) of an apartment my parents own (I don't have to pay rent)
3. I will be responsible for all food, travel, and miscellaneous expenses.
4. I plan on only taking out the max amount of federal unsubsidized loans each year (so $40K?) but if that isn't enough my parents can still support me to an extent.

I know I'm still short because of the compounding interest and because tuition increases year to year, but by how much? I am of course willing to take out additional loans. I am deeply grateful to my family for sacrificing so much for my education and truly hope I can repay them some day. I just want to know how much debt I'll be looking at when I graduate so I can plan appropriately. Sorry if this post is overly personal but I just want some genuine advice. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.