HELP!!! Please assess my Postbacc Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misplacedshadow

Underclass Hero
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings fellow postbaccs,

I am in desperate need of advice. I had graduated College back in 2011 with a degree in Biochemistry. Since then the following two years I volunteered full-time at a lab for 2 years and gotten 2 publications. Then due to family issues I had to post-pone my medical school plans and was in desperate need to find a full-time job. I ended up working as a security guard for the past four years now. I am thinking about geting back into the Medical School tract.

A little about myself:
Current Age: 28
Undergraduate College= Hunter College
Undegraduate Major= Biochemistry
Undergraduate Overall GPA= 3.38
Undergraduate Science GPA= 3.1 (scored a b- in Physics 2 and b- in Biology and a b- in Quantitative Analysis which was part of my biochem science requirement, but besides those grades I got Bs and As)
I had 2 years fulltime volunteer research experience with 1 first author publication in a review paper from a peer-reviewed journal and 2 publications as a coauthor.
After leaving my full-time volunteer gig, due to family related issues, I had to find a full time job. I worked odd jobs (fast food restaurant, supermarket) until I landed a steady job working as a security guard.

I want to go back to college. Get my GPA up, get a really high score on the MCAT >520. Get a little more Research Experience under my belt. Volunteer at a hospital in a clinic (I have no clinical experience). Maybe even gain some leadership experience and teaching experience in college and outside college.

My Plan:
July 2017-July 2018 (1 full year) Prepare for the MCAT and try my best to score >520. Many students here in SDN have been out of college for more than 10 years and score >520 on their MCAT. Right now that is my goal.

Around October of this year I plan to apply for a postbacc at Hunter College and if I get accepted, start my program August of 2018. I plan on taking only Upper Level Science Class. The Classes I have in mind are Microbiology, Anatomy and Physiology, Cell Biology, Developmental Biology, Cancer Biology, Neurobiology and Immunobiology. Basically classes that are medical school related that will help me. I plan to take no more than 2 classes a semester for 38 credits. While doing some Volunteering in the Hospital (clinical experience), some more research experience, teaching experience and leadership experience. It shouldnt be too difficult to maintain all As in 38 credits and get that Postbacc 4.0 GPA right? I mean I am only taking 2 classes a semester only.

Do you guys think that if I could pull off everything I mentioned above:
Postbacc GPA with 38 Credits: 4.0
MCAT: 520+
2 Years Volunteer research Experience with publications.
2 Years Volunteer Experience in Clinical Setting.
2 Years of Shadow Experience with doctors.
2 Years of teaching Experience
2 Years of leadership experience

Would it be possible I might get interviews at top schools such as Harvard, Yale, Columbia?
Any recommendations you might have?
Any other postbacc programs you might recommend?

Many people might suggest I do an SMP because if I can score a 520 plus I am better off doing an SMP and saving time. The reason why I dont want to do an SMP is because that requires a lot of money. Also being in the SMP program there is a whole lot of competition in the SMP with your fellow SMP students. I think classes at an SMP will be way harder than taking the Postbacc route where you can take classes at your leisure. I mean the 4 month upper level science classes that I will take in my postbacc will be crammed into 3 weeks at an SMP. Also if I slightly mess up in my Postbacc program meaning I finish with a 3.1-3.3 GPA, I can always resort to an SMP after my Postbacc as a last resort. However if I get a 3.1-3.3 GPA at an SMP, I am basically screwed for life with no redemption.

Also many people might say go the DO route. I am a stubborn person. I know I can do an MD and I will never go down that route (nothing wring with DO, just my personal preference is MD.)

Members don't see this ad.

You need to take more than two classes. You will not be doing yourself any favors by playing it safe. Medical school is going to be very difficult...

I will be taking 2 classes a semester for 2 years. So all together thats 8 upper level science classes in 2 years or 38 credits. Keep in mind in addition to classes I will be doing hospital volunteering, research, teaching and leadership and club activities while in the postbacc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just told you that medical schools want to see potential applicants take rigorous course loads. Two classes a semester is a joke...seriously even if you are balancing those classes with other activities. You need to realize that you will be competing with people younger than you that will be doing all of the above extracurricular activities/working a job while taking 12-17 credit hours. You are not going to win any ADCOM over with 8 upper-level courses over a 2 year span. You can take my post with a giant grain of salt and keep doing what you plan to do. Good luck.

How do you suggest I win over the adcoms? Take 8 upper level science classes over the span of one year? Then apply. I actually do see your point Shotapp. What do you think I should do?

@misplacedshadow

@Shotapp

Here's what I would if I were in your shoes (I am in a similar situation myself), I would do a DIY post-bac consisting mostly of upper-level sciences related to subjects covered in medical school on a full-time basis.
Gain admissions to your local state university as a 2nd-degree student so you can get some financial aid and registration priority for classes you are interested in taking. While you are doing your post-bac/working a full-time or part-time job, try to squeeze in some volunteering (non-clinical and clinical). Unless you have been doing research for years and spitting out pubs, it's not going to be a substantial part of your application. Medical schools value your altruistic a lot more than doing bench work in the lab. Your priority as of now is to create a strong upward trend in a rigorous course load. After you are done with your post-bac, nail the Mcat on your first attempt and apply early/broadly to MD and DO schools.

First, thank you for this post. I was feeling a bit hopeless, but I am feeling a bit better that there maybe a good possibility that I stand a chance at an MD school. Don't get me wrong, I know that there is a long and tough road ahead of me, I am willing to bust my ass and shed some blood. Plus the journey ahead is nothing compared to 4 years of medical school.

A few questions:

1) Does it have to be my local state university? Local state university can be a bit expensive for me. I am considering going to my local city college (NOT COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
2) I did a Biochemistry Degree in Undergrad. Do you think I should do a second bachelors degree in Biology? Any other degree where I can take classes consisting mostly of upper-level sciences related to subjects covered in medical school?
3) I am planning on nailing the MCAT now. I am planning on studying my ass off and taking my exam in July of 2018. Would it be okay if I start my secondary degree Sept. of 2018?

1) Your local city college is fine. I'm currently doing a DIY post-bac at my city college as well. I have registration priority and financial aid.
2) Yeah, you can pursue a 2nd degree in Biology or anything really. My first degree was in Biology. I'm currently majoring in Environmental Science. I don't plan to finish my 2nd degree. I'm just in it for the upper-level sciences.
3) If you feel very confident in your preparation for the Mcat, then take it in July of 2018. When do you plan on applying to medical schools (MD)?

@Shotapp

I am not really sure when I plan on applying to medical school. I guess as soon as I feel confident that took every course that I can that is related to medical school I possibly can. I will probably apply when I become really competitive for an MD school.

1) What upper level classes have you taken so far?
2) What additional upper-level classes are you planning on taking?
3) An medical admission counselor which I had paid for advice had advised me that I should take upper-level science classes at school in which classes are known to be relatively easy. He said "as long as the college is not a community college" but is known to have classes that are easy to get an A with a little effort, I should take classes at that college. The class where I plan to take my 2nd degree is actually relatively hard to get As in upper level . Should I consider taking the classes at the relatively hard college class, because lets face it, the classes cant be harder than medical schools and the admission's committee in Medical Schools will know that I took the easy College route, OR should I play it safe and just go to the college with known relatively known easy upper-level science classes?

1)
Cell Biology: received an A
Ecology (retake): received an A
Genetics (retake): received an A
Biology I (retake): received an A

I took these classes before grade replacement had ended for DO schools. I was only taking two classes per semester. I didn't feel challenged at all. I am currently taking Human Anatomy this summer.

2)
This what my Fall /Spring schedule looks like:

Fall 17
Virology (3 credits)
Microbiology (4 credits)
Human Physiology (4 credits)
Experimental Methods in Biology (3 credits)

Spring 18
Immunology (3 credits)
Pharmacology (3 credits)
Biochemistry (4 credits)
Research Methods in Biology (3 credits)

Why did you pay an academic counselor to tell you that?

@Shotapp

I assume you started your DIY Postbacc in Spring of 2017. When do you think you will finish taking classes and apply to medical school?

Last edited: