Help me decide?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naruto123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! 28/F non-trad here trying to decide on a provider path! Absolutely no one in my personal life knows what to tell me so I thought I would reach out here for some thoughts!

My main interest is psychiatry (although many things in medicine interest me!) and I am completely torn between pursuing a psych NP degree or going to medical school.

I graduated from a private college with a 3.3ugpa in political science. I struggled my first two years because I was holding down two part time jobs in addition to a full college class load, but have a nice upward trend, graduating in the traditional 4 years! I only took an entry "forensic chemistry" course and otherwise avoiding science classes. Got a B+ in that chem course. Otherwise, I'm the first person in my family to graduate college - my parents were heroin addicts.

I completed all the nursing pre-reqs at the local community college this past year thinking I would pursue nursing school. Frankly because I was worried that I wouldn't be any good at science. I found out that I actually LOVED science classes and that with my new adult study skills (and my adhd medicated and under control), I aced everything except microbiology which I ended with a B+. Anatomy and Physiology 1&2, nutrition, Chem (for Nurses) were all As.

As I'm getting started on nursing applications, I have this nagging doubt in my mind that maybe I should apply to medical schools. After all, the midlevel job market is becoming saturated, the education isn't as good, and I really do love getting deeper into scientific knowledge. It's kind of incredible how little science the general population knows!

What's holding me back from going for medicine?
The huge amount of debt I'd be taking on
Fear that psych will become super competitive/generally of step exams
8-9 more pre-reqs which is a ton of time and money.
My 30s are when I was hoping to start a family, which would be made complicated by medical education and residency.
I only just started living up the young professional lifestyle with a great apartment, a swrious boyfriend, and plenty of international vacation 2 years ago and I don't know if I really want to give it up for 10 more years.

So here I am wondering if I should continue taking classes at the community college and maybe some upper levels at the state university hoping for medical school, go to nursing school, apply for post-bacc programs... And I really just can't make up my mind. Every time I come to a decision, hours later doubts creep in.

I'm not sure I'd even be competitive for a post bacc like Goucher. And even if I got in, that's a ton of debt and depending on the program no guarantee of an acceptance on the other end.

I have plenty of community service experience, was a teacher in a low income neighborhood for two years, and now work in health education. I LOVE the health field. But I'm really not sure which programs to apply for or if I have a realistic shot at medicine.

I'd love to hear thoughts from other SDNers. Do you think I'd have a shot at post baccs like Goucher? How did you decide on your path? Are you worried about the huge lifestyle change that would accompany school and residency? Were you torn between medicine and another path/field and how did you decide?

Thanks for your time and thoughts!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Look, I'm going to tell it to you straight. Medical school is the toughest academic program you will encounter. So having said that, only the best make it in and the best of the best make it out.

A lot of people here sugar coat stuff which doesn't help anybody. To get into med school, you'll need a higher GPA and a very competitive MCAT. Those take a lot of hard work and effort. You say you are 28. If this is really what you want, you're going to have to make sacrifices and I'm not too sure you are aware of that.

Nursing school is nothing like medical school. If you got a B+ in undergrad micro, you'll guaranteed fail med school micro with a 50 or so.

We all want to become doctors but becoming a doctor is not for everyone.

If you want to go down that path, some of the sugar coaters here will tell you to do the post-bacc.

I would encourage you to take what the poster above wrote with a significant grain of salt (and this post as well for that matter). I do think the shock and awe factor is fairly tactless and equating a B+ in undergrad micro to a failing grade in medical is conjecture at best.

As for whether you should pursue medical school or nursing school, no one can say which one will be the best fit for you. I will say that when you make a decision and then second guess yourself, that does reveal something both about you and the choice you "made." I would use that to help inform your choice.

For medical school, you will likely need to take pre-req classes. You can take these at any university either as a second degree student, post-bac student, or in a formal program (you do not need to complete the program at Goucher to go to medical school). Your grades, as they are now, are outside the range for allopathic medical schools. With a lot of work, you may be able to raise it to a more competitive level for allopathic medical schools but you would likely need to apply broadly to osteopathic medical schools as well.

It is challenging to start a family before during or after medical school but many people have done it. Personally, I wouldn't let that deter you.

Ultimately, you have to envision what your life to be like for the next 5, 10, and 20 years to look like both professionally and personally.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
^ one of the sugar coaters I was talking about earlier.

Hey guys! 28/F non-trad here trying to decide on a provider path! Absolutely no one in my personal life knows what to tell me so I thought I would reach out here for some thoughts!

My main interest is psychiatry (although many things in medicine interest me!) and I am completely torn between pursuing a psych NP degree or going to medical school.

I graduated from a private college with a 3.3ugpa in political science. I struggled my first two years because I was holding down two part time jobs in addition to a full college class load, but have a nice upward trend, graduating in the traditional 4 years! I only took an entry "forensic chemistry" course and otherwise avoiding science classes. Got a B+ in that chem course. Otherwise, I'm the first person in my family to graduate college - my parents were heroin addicts.

I completed all the nursing pre-reqs at the local community college this past year thinking I would pursue nursing school. Frankly because I was worried that I wouldn't be any good at science. I found out that I actually LOVED science classes and that with my new adult study skills (and my adhd medicated and under control), I aced everything except microbiology which I ended with a B+. Anatomy and Physiology 1&2, nutrition, Chem (for Nurses) were all As.

As I'm getting started on nursing applications, I have this nagging doubt in my mind that maybe I should apply to medical schools. After all, the midlevel job market is becoming saturated, the education isn't as good, and I really do love getting deeper into scientific knowledge. It's kind of incredible how little science the general population knows!

My 30s are when I was hoping to start a family, which would be made complicated by medical education and residency.
I only just started living up the young professional lifestyle with a great apartment, a swrious boyfriend, and plenty of international vacation 2 years ago and I don't know if I really want to give it up for 10 more years.

So here I am wondering if I should continue taking classes at the community college and maybe some upper levels at the state university hoping for medical school, go to nursing school, apply for post-bacc programs... And I really just can't make up my mind. Every time I come to a decision, hours later doubts creep in.

I'm not sure I'd even be competitive for a post bacc like Goucher. And even if I got in, that's a ton of debt and depending on the program no guarantee of an acceptance on the other end.

I have plenty of community service experience, was a teacher in a low income neighborhood for two years, and now work in health education. I LOVE the health field. But I'm really not sure which programs to apply for or if I have a realistic shot at medicine.

I'd love to hear thoughts from other SDNers. Do you think I'd have a shot at post baccs like Goucher? How did you decide on your path? Are you worried about the huge lifestyle change that would accompany school and residency? Were you torn between medicine and another path/field and how did you decide?

Thanks for your time and thoughts!!
It's absolutely doable if you really want it! I know nothing about specific postbacc programs, but if medicine is your passion, you can do it. It will be a tough road, and it will take the bulk of your 30s, but you'll be 40 someday whether or not you're a physician. I decided against applying when I was around your age for similar reasons to the ones you listed, and decided while I was on maternity leave after having my first child that I would regret not applying. I was lucky that my husband was supportive; if you want to make this commitment when you have a family, it's critical that they are as invested in it as you are. The decision isn't an easy one, and not something anyone can help you make. You may have to move 2-3 times between school, residency, and fellowship if you do one. But it IS doable!

You cannot be luke warm about attempting the commitment that is premed and then medical school. You are either commited fully or go to nursing school.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, think about if it is what you really want.
Yes, you will have to scrifice a lot, and yes, it will probably be very hard, but it can be done.
Think about what will be in a couple of years.
Do you want to say, yes, good decision to go to medical school, or will you say, its ok for me to do something else.
No one can give you any answer except of yourself.
Good luck!

Why not shadow both NPs and physicians? Ask NPs why they chose that route, and ask physicians what they have to say. Before you do more classes, why don't you figure out if there are any that work for NP and medicine?

Yeah, it sucks to give up travel, etc, but it is doable and temporary. It's harder to have kids in medical training but it's possible and people do it.

For people on the fence that are already RNs, I see NP as a good option, but if you're starting from scratch anyway, you might as well do the one that you really want to do.

Reactions: 1 users

Here's my two cents, and bear in mind that aformerstudent is just about as pessimistic as they come, I'd take those posts and throw them out the window.

I was in your shoes, at just about the same age, with a serious BF, living a happy comfortable life, I had fallen in love with science and was debating between PA and MD. The key differences were these: I don't want kids (perfectly happy with my husband and the pets we have and will have); I'm looking forward to rocking the professional lifestyle in my 40's, and am a-o-k with putting off all the fun until 2024 (projected time frame for finishing residency). That said, I took community college classes for nearly all of my pre-reqs (4.0 in all of them), got a mediocre MCAT, and applied to my instate schools with a strongly non-traditional application (planned to retake MCAT if I didn't get an acceptance). My newer in-state school snatched me up with an acceptance a week after my interview. Why did I end up choosing MD? The education and the knowledge will better enable me to provide primary care in rural settings that desperately need physicians.

My story aside, here's what I'd suggest for you: I honestly don't think that MD is the right choice, for all the reasons you listed for what is holding you back. However, that doesn't mean you can't go into medicine. I'd strongly suggest you look into Psych for PA's. You could be a primary care provider, the route there is much less grueling, time consuming, and much less debt. You'd make a comfortable income, and be able to live that comfortable lifestyle you already enjoy (after the 2 years of difficult PA schooling).

Physician Assistants in Mental Health | Jobs, Requirements and Certification

Yet, if you do decide you want that MD, dedication and hard work yield results. You definitely can go for it, and I think you could achieve this. I just honestly think there are better ways for you to grasp the life you are looking for.

Best of luck to you!!

Speaking to the sacrifices...

I'm close to your age and, while I'm already in med school, I had a lot of similar concerns regarding my family planning + social agenda. I will say this: you can still have a life outside med school. It is ALL ABOUT PRIORITIES.

I've traveled to 4 different countries over the course of my MS1 year, and we have plans for another 2 during MS2. We know things are slowing down (we used to travel a lot more) but, we are also getting older and settling down. As far as family, plenty of people have kids in med school. It's going to be HARD, but not impossible based on past successes of other students.

The best thing you can do right now is decide medicine vs nursing - after you make that decision, the rest can be figured out. Seriously, just spend time thinking about that decision and then make the rest. It's a decision tree.

@naruto123, thanks for sharing your story, which resonated with me considering I am as non-traditional of an applicant as they can possibly get. The idea of pursuing Medicine came to me a few years ago but only truly crystallized last Summer.

Throughout my 20's and early 30's, I focussed on pursuing education that interested me without much regard for employment prospects. When I was 18, I decided to study Biology simply because I liked the subject, and then shortly after receiving my BSc (Hons) degree, I went on to pursue a Masters in Computer Science because again, it was something that interested me. When I was 24, I started to seriously think about how I could make contributions that would help society; I was self-aware enough to know that I harboured strong altruistic desires. This realization was reinforced when I spent my free time volunteering in residential homes for the elderly during the course of my studies. At that stage in my life, I knew that 1) I thoroughly enjoyed Science and 2) I derived pleasure and peace of mind from caring for others in need. My brother was doing his residency at John's Hopkins at the time, so I had years of exposure observing his life as an MD. However, I never saw myself doing what he did simply because I didn't consider myself suitable enough to be an MD. Long story short, inspired by my 3 month research internship at the NIH, I decided to enter research and spent the next 4 years focussing on my PhD. By the time I graduated with my doctorate, I was 29 years old and subsequently got accepted into a Postdoctoral Fellowship programme in London, which I completed in 2013. At that point in my career path, I knew that I wanted to enter Clinical research and I wanted to make myself believe that this was the path that would allow me to make contributions to help society. With this in mind, since 2014 till present, I have been working as a research scientist in Cardiology in Amsterdam with some nice success stories with respect to how I have made contributions towards the field by designing and conducting novel research to help improve treatment modalities. It goes without saying that research is something that I thoroughly enjoy, but I have always had a lingering feeling that something was missing; a vital piece in the jigsaw puzzle that was preventing me from being who I wanted to be.

During the last 2 years, several family members of mine were admitted to the hospital and for some reason, I found myself being dragged into their medical cases. For instance, my mother had a pericardial effusion coupled with atrial fibrillation, and I found myself studying the ESC guidelines and communicating with the consultants about ways to optimize her treatment. Similarly, my uncle was diagnosed with kidney failure a few years ago, and I have been actively discussing his case with his consultant till present. These experiences changed me in certain ways; after thinking hard about the significance of these experiences, I concluded that studying Medicine was the vital missing piece of the jigsaw for me. Since then, I haven't looked back at my decision to study Medicine. I am 36 years old, and despite having a stable career and degrees, I spend my days conducting research and my evenings studying for high school level exams that I need to secure a place in Medical School. It's the best feeling in the world to 'really know' what you want to do with yourself.

So what I am trying to say to you is that if you want to study Medicine, then you need to evaluate how sure you are about your decision. It would be unwise to invest your time pursuing this avenue if you are in doubt; you either want it or you don't. The first stage is the decision process; once you have firmly decided that Medicine is for you, then you will find a way to deal with the financial obstacles because you would be pursuing something that you truly want and would make possible at all costs.

Last edited: