This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am choosing between The Wright Institute and University of Denver PsyD programs. I got a great feeling from The Wright Institute and from the University of Denver. I like both programs but I am leaning towards The Wright Institute… I just got a better feeling during my interview/visit

Things that I am wrestling with:
Denver is hugely expensive (57k) and The Wright Institute is more reasonable (32k)…
Berkeley is expensive and Denver is more manageable...
Denver has a better match rate and smaller cohort-35ish. ..The Wright is 60ish.
Both programs require students to have to have a caseload in the first year. Denver asks students to work in their clinic and field placement sites. The Wright only has field placement sites.

I like Berkeley more than Denver but I am trying to not let that be a deciding factor. I am primarily interested in community health, working with victims of sexual assault and personality disorders. I believe I could gain a lot of experience and expand upon my interests at both schools…

Any tips for making a decision?

Members don't see this ad.

The Wiright Institute has a deplorable match rate and not a good reputation. If those are the only two options available, it'd be Denver, hands down. But, realistically, I'd be looking for fully funded options, there are dozens of programs where experience in trauma/sexual assault and personality disorder experience is obtainable without going 200k+ in debt.

I am choosing between The Wright Institute and University of Denver PsyD programs. I got a great feeling from The Wright Institute and from the University of Denver. I like both programs but I am leaning towards The Wright Institute… I just got a better feeling during my interview/visit

Things that I am wrestling with:
Denver is hugely expensive (57k) and The Wright Institute is more reasonable (32k)…
Berkeley is expensive and Denver is more manageable...
Denver has a better match rate and smaller cohort-35ish. ..The Wright is 60ish.
Both programs require students to have to have a caseload in the first year. Denver asks students to work in their clinic and field placement sites. The Wright only has field placement sites.

I like Berkeley more than Denver but I am trying to not let that be a deciding factor. I am primarily interested in community health, working with victims of sexual assault and personality disorders. I believe I could gain a lot of experience and expand upon my interests at both schools…

Any tips for making a decision?

I too interviewed and was accepted into the University of Denver psyd last year. I was impressed with the training and the program does have a good reputation. Honestly, I hear better things about it than the Wright Institute so DU would be my vote. As much as I loved the program, I ended up turning it down strictly for financial reasons. I just could not bring myself to take out that kind of money. Many of the current students confirmed they are facing 200k to 250k in debt and that even scholarships, TA positions, or working in the clinic does not seem to lower tuition enough. Hopefully you have a better financial situation because it really is a good program :) and congratulations on being accepted!! If not, do sit down and look at the monthly payment and have a game plan in mind - for both schools actually

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I need help! I am trying to decide between two schools, as I just got off of the waitlist for one at the eleventh hour:

School A: A clinical science PhD program that guarantees funding for 5 years. My POI shares a broad research interest with me, but they have expressed a willingness to be flexible for me to carve my own path and conduct research in my particular field of interest. My only concern with this school is the fact that it is a clinical science model that is primarily training researchers/academics, whereas I am looking for a healthier mix between research and practice. I don't know whether I would be happy conducting research for a majority of my time in what could end up being a 6-7 program (my master's thesis could potentially transfer in as my first doc, which could theoretically shave off some time). The other major concern is that I haven't visited the campus; I was not invited to interview day and was contacted a couple of weeks ago for Skype/phone interviews. The program seems really great, I just wish I could have had the opportunity to experience the feel of the place, considering it would also require me to move far away from my area of the US.

School B: One of the (arguably) top-ranked PsyDs in the country, and it provides guaranteed funding for the first year. Beyond that, there are opportunities to offset the cost of the program through paid clinical practica or research positions. The training at this program is stellar, and I don't think that I would get the same level of clinical training at the PhD program; none of the professors EXACTLY match my research interests here (I'm primarily forensic-oriented), but I got a good feeling on interview day that at least one of the professors with whom I interviewed was extremely intrigued by my research interests. That being said, I also think that this program offers a pretty solid research focus (considering it is a PsyD) - it is considered a scholar-practitioner model. Additionally, it is so much closer to me geographically and would not involve moving away from family and friends.

Basically, what it comes down to is: I have loans coming out of my masters at around 60k (from going to a program in a high cost of living area). Do you think it is worth it to go to a program that more closely fits my career interests but would require me to most likely take out a moderate amount of further loans? Or do I avoid the PsyD "stigma," avoid more loans, and move far away to a PhD program that I haven't yet visited that has more of a research focus than I would like?

Oh and, no pressure, I have to decide in roughly 24 hours :)

I'm really grappling with some dissonance here.

My entire academic life, I've been taught that the PhD is king. And for the position I'd like to eventually work in (UCC psychologist), there is no doubt that a PhD in Counseling Psychology (or an LCSW, apparently) is necessary. But here's the thing - the more I do research, the more I realize I don't like it. I love consuming it - reading new journal articles is actually pretty fascinating, and being able to implement those ideas immediately in my masters level coursework has been eye-opening. But I don't want to actually go through the arduous process of conducting research, publish-or-perish'ing, revising, submitting, revising again, presenting at conferences, you know how it is.

There don't seem to be many reputable PsyD programs out there. I absolutely cannot afford an unfunded program. Is this the end of the road for me? Should I just find a terminal masters program and graduate with an LPC or something and practice that way, even though it means the climb into my dream job is as steep as a wall? I'm so confused on what I want to do; quarterlife crisis has never hit this hard before.
I've been in your shoes, only I was halfway through a clinical psych PhD program when I realized research was not something I was as interested in as I thought. I had worked for a year as an RA BUT mostly collecting data. Once I started working on the statistics for my masters thesis I realized I had NO interest or desire to do my own research. Even the thought of my dissertation caused anxiety and hopelessness. Assessment was also something I figured out I didn't like with writing reports. I made the decision to leave my program after defending my thesis and being granted the masters, which was NOT terminal as almost everyone else went on to doctoral status. This was more than 10 years ago, before internship shortages apparently started happening lol. In order to get licensed in my state I am now in a post masters certificate program to meet state requirements. I appreciated the education and training I got in my masters as compared to colleagues in terminal MA programs I had more practicum and theory experience. But I am now stuck paying for classes that, had I finished the PhD, would have been free. Live and learn, I guess!

If you really feel you will not enjoy doing the research in a PhD program (working in a lab, presenting at conferences, submitting for publication to help you get internship, thesis and dissertation, etc), my advice is DONT DO IT. Apply to masters programs that you can be licensed from, whether LCSW, LPC/LMHC, MFT. one of my former classmates in the counseling PhD is director of a UCC, and she recently had a position for licensed masters level therapist. If you know what state(s) you would like to work in, figure out the license requirements and pick a masters program that meets that. Find out what positions the UCCs in that state hire for. Public universities and private colleges all have UCC, maybe a different name but the same essential services. Some jobs/careers have more than one path, while others are restricted to one degree/license. Good luck!

I'm really grappling with some dissonance here.

My entire academic life, I've been taught that the PhD is king. And for the position I'd like to eventually work in (UCC psychologist), there is no doubt that a PhD in Counseling Psychology (or an LCSW, apparently) is necessary. But here's the thing - the more I do research, the more I realize I don't like it. I love consuming it - reading new journal articles is actually pretty fascinating, and being able to implement those ideas immediately in my masters level coursework has been eye-opening. But I don't want to actually go through the arduous process of conducting research, publish-or-perish'ing, revising, submitting, revising again, presenting at conferences, you know how it is.

There don't seem to be many reputable PsyD programs out there. I absolutely cannot afford an unfunded program. Is this the end of the road for me? Should I just find a terminal masters program and graduate with an LPC or something and practice that way, even though it means the climb into my dream job is as steep as a wall? I'm so confused on what I want to do; quarterlife crisis has never hit this hard before.

I understand- I had my own crisis a year ago. The good news is things worked out and I'm sure they will for you as well. I remember very well the first day of my masters program. One professor asked the 12 of us in my cohort who wanted to go on to a PhD. 10 people raised their hands. It's been 3 years since we finished and so far two of us have gone on- one psyd and one phd. My masters program required a great deal of research and some just plain realized that they hate conducting it. Although some people from my cohort left the field this was by choice.... Many are working towards or already have an LPC. They are working as therapist and enjoying their lives. And the ones I've spoken to lately express absolutely no desire to go back to school & these were the ones that were absolutely adamant that they would be doctors one day. The point is things don't always turn out the way you thought they would and that is OK. I am sure that even if you decide not to get your doctorate your career can be filled with opportunity for growth. But I would not spend time earning a degree that requires a lot of research if you do not like it. One caveat to this (I only say this because I don't know much about your situation) is that sometimes the area of research really matters. I started out doing social psychology research and hated it. Once I discovered more applied clinical research I loved it.

Hey all,
I'm deciding between several MA programs and could use some advice. I'm definitely going the MA route, heading to a Clinical Psych PhD to eventually do clinical child psychology. I got into a bunch of programs but my decision comes down to these 3 and each have huge benefits:

New School, their PhD students are directly from their MA program (15 out of aprox. 50 are accepted), it is based in NY so lots of opportunities in the city and they offered me a small scholarship
TC, awesome networking and connections through being in NYC and a part of Columbia, the program itself seems to have mixed experiences
Rutgers, huge research focus with great mentorship and support for grad students, also in-state tuition.

Some things I'm worried about:
New School PhD has a psychodynamic approach, I don't think that's the perspective I most closely align with. Also the program isn't very research oriented.
TC, the PhD program doesn't have a great reputation and both MA and PhD are super expensive
Rutgers, there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on here or grad cafe about the program, worried that it wont be enough of a boost to get to the PhD level

So, as someone with the PhD endgame in mind, what do you all think would be the strongest program with the best reputation? I need the academic boost and love working clinically and in research (3+ years of experience between grad and undergrad)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hey all,
I'm deciding between several MA programs and could use some advice.

Of the three schools you listed, Rutgers has by far the best reputation. You want solid research experience if you're going to get into a PhD program--To be honest, nothing else really matters. Rutgers is the obvious choice.

Hello friends!

Long time viewer, first time poster. I have received such beneficial advice from posters on this forum and decided I would muck up the courage and ask for some help/guidance on graduate programs. Currently, I am a junior undergraduate and am looking to take a year off after graduation to work in a research lab and then apply to PhD programs in Clinical Psychology (Health Psychology focus) and Counseling Psychology. However, I'm having some difficulty finding a distinction between Clinical and Counseling programs. I've done my research and understand that the fields now intersect very frequently, but I seem to be struggling in terms of which field would better fit my interests. I am more focused on working with individuals diagnosed with chronic illness (e.g., HIV/AIDS) and looking into cognitive restructuring models, such as posttraumatic growth and health-related quality of life. I have found PhD programs in Clinical and Counseling that both focus on these areas, but I would LOVE to hear some feedback from current graduate students/graduates from Counseling and Clinical Health programs about their experiences and some more specific information on both of the fields.

Thank you all so much!

Hey!

A lot of schools have the distinction listed on their websites (the counseling program at university of Maryland is one I know has the distinction listed). Every program (clinical or counseling) will vary with regard to what is emphasized so the similarities can be more salient when comparing certain programs while other programs may be highly overlapping. One important distinction is that counseling programs often have an explicit focus on social justice issues and will seek students with a desire to intervene not only at the individual level...but also at the societal level. It is important to note that this does not mean clinical programs will not train individuals in multicultural issues or even outreach activities, it is just that counseling programs are often more salient about it (publishing research in multicultural issues, maybe more coursework in this area). There are other distinctions but the disciplines are largely overlapping.

I applied to clinical and counseling and honestly focused more on fit regarding adviser, research, financial aspects, feel of the program.....
Hope that is helpful

Hello friends!

Long time viewer, first time poster. I have received such beneficial advice from posters on this forum and decided I would muck up the courage and ask for some help/guidance on graduate programs. Currently, I am a junior undergraduate and am looking to take a year off after graduation to work in a research lab and then apply to PhD programs in Clinical Psychology (Health Psychology focus) and Counseling Psychology. However, I'm having some difficulty finding a distinction between Clinical and Counseling programs. I've done my research and understand that the fields now intersect very frequently, but I seem to be struggling in terms of which field would better fit my interests. I am more focused on working with individuals diagnosed with chronic illness (e.g., HIV/AIDS) and looking into cognitive restructuring models, such as posttraumatic growth and health-related quality of life. I have found PhD programs in Clinical and Counseling that both focus on these areas, but I would LOVE to hear some feedback from current graduate students/graduates from Counseling and Clinical Health programs about their experiences and some more specific information on both of the fields.

Thank you all so much!
I wasn't sure when I applied either so I applied to both types of programs that appeared to have good fit and went with the one that accepted me. Whether it is clinical or counseling is relatively low on the selection criteria. Funding, research fit, access to solid and varied practicum experience would be way above that.
Edit: and dot forget to look at the outcomes for match rates and maybe even mean completion time.

Without knowing the particulars of your other research exp, but I'd say the neurology research position would be beneficial.
Neuropsychology seems to be in demand, lots of people require rehabilitation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to start by saying that I have read every post in this thread from start to finish, and I learned a lot more useful information than I thought I would. I would to present my situation in the hopes that someone can help shine a little light on this matter.

I am a Senior at a major university in Texas, and I am a disabled veteran. I am 41, married, and I have two small children (I tell you this because it is relevant with regard to relocation and cost of living, etc). Since I have a service connected disability, I am enrolled in Vocational Rehabilitaion through the VA. I won't go into too much detail about Voc Rehab here, but if anyone has any questions about it, or if you'd like to learn more, please feel free to PM me. Anyhow, the VA is paying for my entire education from undergrad through Masters. If I choose to pursue a Psy D or a Ph D, then that cost will be on me. This is the crux of my quandary. I won't have to worry about a single expense given that Voc Rehab covers every expense from books to fees, supplies, tuition, etc. so I'm looking for some insight on two things:

1) If I choose to only pursue a Masters degree in Clinical Psychology, which school would you guys recommend?

2) I'm really only interested in therapy, specifically Marriage and Couple counseling, and I realize that all I need to do this is to have my LPC or MSW/LMSW, but I want to be a doctor. The reason I want to get my Psy D is because I made a promise to myself years ago, and I don't like breaking my promises to anyone, myself included.

One of my professors is well acquainted with a professor at one of the top ranked Psy D schools in the nation, and he has promised to help however he can to get me an interview with said professor. If I get accepted to this school then my Psy D will be fully funded via stipends, tuition remission, RA positions and the like. I also have three stellar LOR's from the professor I referred to earlier, as well as the professor who runs the research lab, in which I am an RA (I will have 2 years and three months in a research lab by the time I graduate). This is promising, and it is the driving force behind my wanting to pursue a Psy D. My cumulative GPA is only 3.5, but it rises every semester, and I am on track for a 3.7, maybe a 3.8 by the time I graduate. I have not yet taken the GRE, but I will be taking it in July. I'm confident I will do well given that I am currently enrolled in a prep course, and I tend to test well on standardized tests if I'm properly prepared in advance.

My question is this: If money were not an issue, and you were to get your MA then become an LPC through a Masters program that terminates in an LPC, would you stop there, or would you carry on to the Psy D?

Thank you for reading this.

Thank you got your service, first of all. The main question is, what do you hope to gain from a PsyD or PhD other than the title "Doctor"? How would a doctorate support your career goals?

Thank you got your service, first of all. The main question is, what do you hope to gain from a PsyD or PhD other than the title "Doctor"? How would a doctorate support your career goals?
Thank you. I was happy to serve. To be honest, all I really want to do is therapy. I believe I would be perfectly content with my LPC, but I made a decision years ago to be a doctor. That's has been my life plan for years now, and I like to stick to the plans I make. I'm not really sure how a Psy D will support my career given that I'm relatively new to psychology, and don't know all the ins and outs of the field. I do believe I will reach an income with my LPC, and that I can make more money as a doctor. Sorry if that sounds shallow, but I do have a family to support. That said, I did meet an LPC in my hometown who is in private practice, and she once told me that she works Monday, Tursday and Wednesday, half of Thursday, and never Fridays or weekends. She takes 30 days vacation every year, and she makes close to $140K a year. That sounds almost too good to be true, but she has been in private practice for 20 years, and as far as I know, she has no reason to lie to me.

Last edited:
Thank you. I was happy to serve. To be honest, all I really want to do is therapy. I believe I would be perfectly content with my LPC, but I made a decision years ago to be a doctor. That's has been my life plan for years now, and I like to stick to the plans I make. I'm not really sure how a Psy D will support my career given that I'm relatively new to psychology, and don't know all the ins and outs of the field. I do believe I will reach an income with my LPC, and that I can make more money as a doctor. Sorry if that sounds shallow, but I do have a family to support. That said, I did meet an LPC in my hometown who is in private practice, and she once told me that she works Monday, Tursday and Wednesday, half of Thursday, and never Fridays or weekends. She takes 30 days vacation every year, and she makes close to $140K a year. That sounds almost too good to be true, but she has been in private practice for 20 years, and as far as I know, she has no reason to lie to me.

The LPC you met is an outlier, but the right location, a sound business plan, savvy marketing, and developing a steady stream of referrals can go a long way.

I understand that you don't want to break a promise to yourself, but your reasoning sounds a little rigid. A good marriage and family therapy program would probably meet your needs if you want to focus on marital/couple therapy. If you decide to go for a doctoral degree, make sure you know what you're getting into (including the realistic costs of that education). Down the road, after 5-6 years of little income and accruing what could easily be a 6-figure debt, you might find you need more than "I had to be a doctor" to be at peace with your decision.

The LPC you met is an outlier, but the right location, a sound business plan, savvy marketing, and developing a steady stream of referrals can go a long way.

I understand that you don't want to break a promise to yourself, but your reasoning sounds a little rigid. A good marriage and family therapy program would probably meet your needs if you want to focus on marital/couple therapy. If you decide to go for a doctoral degree, make sure you know what you're getting into (including the realistic costs of that education). Down the road, after 5-6 years of little income and accruing what could easily be a 6-figure debt, you might find you need more than "I had to be a doctor" to be at peace with your decision.
You raise valid points. I am admittedly rigid. However, there is more value to the promise than the principle of the promise in and of itself. I also want to set the best possible example to my children. I have had to overcome extreme hardship in my life. The long story short version is that I lost everything I had, and I was a heartbeat away from being homeless. If not for the kindness of an estranged family member, I would have been sleeping on the streets of Las Vegas (not for the reasons you might think). I made a resolution that I would overcome my plight, and I have. To that end, I want to demonstrate to my children, and other less-confident members of my family that no matter what happens in your life, you can achieve whatever goal you set for yourself, if you believe in yourself and work hard.

I have considered the debt load, but I'm in a situation where nearly have of the debt would be off set by the VA program since they would cover all costs through the master's curriculum.

I have also considered setting waypoint objectives in order to complete the primary objective. In other words, first obtaining my MA, assessing my situation at that time, then deciding whether or not to pursue the PsyD.

Does that sound reasonable?

I think another way to look at it though, is what purpose does the goal serve, in the long run? That is, are you pursuing a goal merely to pursue the goal, end result be damned? For some things, sure, I can see it being important. But this is a course of action that involves an incredible amount of time and resources. Resources includes money, yes, but also the time and effort in training. That's a lot of investment by others along multiple steps along the way. If your career desires necessitate a doctoral degree, go nuts, but if it's just to say that you did it, and you won't be using that degree in a meaningful way, remember that those resources are valuable and could have been allocated elsewhere.

I think another way to look at it though, is what purpose does the goal serve, in the long run? That is, are you pursuing a goal merely to pursue the goal, end result be damned? For some things, sure, I can see it being important. But this is a course of action that involves an incredible amount of time and resources. Resources includes money, yes, but also the time and effort in training. That's a lot of investment by others along multiple steps along the way. If your career desires necessitate a doctoral degree, go nuts, but if it's just to say that you did it, and you won't be using that degree in a meaningful way, remember that those resources are valuable and could have been allocated elsewhere.
This is what I like about this forum. Invaluable insights, and perspectives that are hard to find in an everyday setting. You are right, WisNeuro. There would be a lot of resources allocated to this endeavor that could be better allocated elsewhere. The incredible sacrifices my wife and kids would have to make over the next seven years would be hard to justify in order to satisfy my arguably selfish ambitions.

So, you believe I should pursue a master's degree and obtain licensure as an LPC, or MSW, or the like?

So, you believe I should pursue a master's degree and obtain licensure as an LPC, or MSW, or the like?

Considering the career goal that you stated earlier, I do. Especially if therapy/counseling is the extent of what you envision yourself doing. If you envisioned other things (e.g., teaching, in-depth assessment, ongoing research), it may be different advice. But, with the former, there is little reason to devote the time and resources to gain training in things you will not be doing.

You raise valid points. I am admittedly rigid. However, there is more value to the promise than the principle of the promise in and of itself. I also want to set the best possible example to my children. I have had to overcome extreme hardship in my life. The long story short version is that I lost everything I had, and I was a heartbeat away from being homeless. If not for the kindness of an estranged family member, I would have been sleeping on the streets of Las Vegas (not for the reasons you might think). I made a resolution that I would overcome my plight, and I have. To that end, I want to demonstrate to my children, and other less-confident members of my family that no matter what happens in your life, you can achieve whatever goal you set for yourself, if you believe in yourself and work hard.

I appreciate your commitment and the thought you are giving to the lessons your children will learn from your career development. The questions I would pose to you are:

(1) Should the pursuit of a goal ignore new information that might change or shape that goal?
(2) What other examples might you set aside from the ones you intend to set?

I appreciate your commitment and the thought you are giving to the lessons your children will learn from your career development. The questions I would pose to you are:

(1) Should the pursuit of a goal ignore new information that might change or shape that goal?
(2) What other examples might you set aside from the ones you intend to set?
No, I would not ignore new information. I like to evaluate all the information available to me in order to make the best decision I can. I try to be a good role model for my children everyday. Naturally, I fail sometimes, but I always try to learn a lesson then carry on. I have always believed that it's not how many times we fall that matters, but how many times we pick ourselves up and move on. That's the lesson I want them to learn. My pursuit of higher education is my way of showing them how far someone can go no matter how far they have fallen.

No, I would not ignore new information. I like to evaluate all the information available to me in order to make the best decision I can. I try to be a good role model for my children everyday. Naturally, I fail sometimes, but I always try to learn a lesson then carry on. I have always believed that it's not how many times we fall that matters, but how many times we pick ourselves up and move on. That's the lesson I want them to learn. My pursuit of higher education is my way of showing them how far someone can go no matter how far they have fallen.
Getting your masters degree after the bachelors IS pursuing higher education. You don't need a doctorate to prove or show that. If you have no desire to teach full time in a college setting, or do psychological assessments, or conduct your own research...the doctorate is not worth the time, effort, and income loss for 5+ years. Also, although the VA pays for your Masters, your masters credits may not transfer into the doctoral program you get accepted in. You might repeat classes. So the "50% paid for" might not end up true, depending on what funding you get.

When I was in 7th grade I took career Ed class...and decided I wanted to be a psychologist. Studied psych in college, became involved in the department, did research in and out of college, took a year off after graduating to work as an RA and applied to clinical psych PhD schools. I was accepted and excited. Then I got to grad school....and as I tried out the responsibilities (thesis research, interpreting and writing testing reports, clinical work)...I realized what I thought I wanted was not making me happy. Reading research is very different than conducting and analyzing research. I was willing to change my plan for career goals because plans change. Life happens. That is not breaking a promise. Sometimes the best lessons in life are to do what makes you happy, and learn how to accept change and transitions. My classmates who finished the program seem happy, and I am much happier with my decision to leave after my masters than continuing with what might have felt like torture (to me). I enjoy the clinical work waaaaay more than the other areas. Modeling for your kids how to cope with changes and goal setting will be far more important than doing something because it proves you can do it. I am sure there were plenty of policies in the military that you questioned (in your head) "what is the purpose of doing this just to do this?" :thinking: Time to break that habit.

Getting your masters degree after the bachelors IS pursuing higher education. You don't need a doctorate to prove or show that. If you have no desire to teach full time in a college setting, or do psychological assessments, or conduct your own research...the doctorate is not worth the time, effort, and income loss for 5+ years. Also, although the VA pays for your Masters, your masters credits may not transfer into the doctoral program you get accepted in. You might repeat classes. So the "50% paid for" might not end up true, depending on what funding you get.

When I was in 7th grade I took career Ed class...and decided I wanted to be a psychologist. Studied psych in college, became involved in the department, did research in and out of college, took a year off after graduating to work as an RA and applied to clinical psych PhD schools. I was accepted and excited. Then I got to grad school....and as I tried out the responsibilities (thesis research, interpreting and writing testing reports, clinical work)...I realized what I thought I wanted was not making me happy. Reading research is very different than conducting and analyzing research. I was willing to change my plan for career goals because plans change. Life happens. That is not breaking a promise. Sometimes the best lessons in life are to do what makes you happy, and learn how to accept change and transitions. My classmates who finished the program seem happy, and I am much happier with my decision to leave after my masters than continuing with what might have felt like torture (to me). I enjoy the clinical work waaaaay more than the other areas. Modeling for your kids how to cope with changes and goal setting will be far more important than doing something because it proves you can do it. I am sure there were plenty of policies in the military that you questioned (in your head) "what is the purpose of doing this just to do this?" :thinking: Time to break that habit.
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. You make a good point. Life happens, and plans change. I am currently a research assistant in a lab, and while I do enjoy being in the lab, I, like you, don't feel that research is for me. I am much more interested in having a private practice, and working one-to-one with people.

One of my other concerns, though, is earning potential. I am aware that, while some mastet's level clinicians make $100K or more, most do not. I checked several sites, and I've noticed that, on average, a person with a PsyD can expect to earn a starting salary that is on par with the median salary of a master's level clinician. Now, I don't need a lot of money to get through life, and I'm not about chasing the dollar, but, in order for family to live comfortably, we would need to make at least $75K. Since we have had children, my wife no longer works, which means we are a essentially a one-income family.

I understand that a PsyD student still has to conduct some research while in college, but aren't they more focused on practice than research?

Hi all -

I've been refining what programs I would like to apply to; however, due to limited funds I can only select a few. Do you have any feedback on the quality, reputation, acceptance rates, and funding regarding these programs:

Memphis university - school psychology
University of Virginia – school & clinical psychology combined
Lehigh – school psychology
Univeristy of rhode island - clinical psychology
University of Houston – child clinical psychology
University of Pittsburgh - clinical psychology
Tulane – school psychology
university of Kentucky - clinical psychology
Loyola - School Psychology

I am a strong fit for each of these programs, but I want to narrow it down to 3 or 4 but I am struggling to do so. Any feedback?

Last edited:
Hello everyone -

Please help. This post is mainly for those who have participated/are enrolled in DU's PsyD program.

My background: I have a B.S. in Psychology from GA Tech in Atlanta, a very research-intensive school with little to no focus on clinical/counseling psychology. The goal of the school was to prepare students for PhD programs, which is what I thought I wanted to do. But while doing my senior thesis (I did 2 years of I/O research) I realized that while I have a genuine respect and admiration for research, I don't want to spend 7 years of my life doing it to get to where I want to be which is actually practicing psychology. So for grad school I have determined I truly want to go into a PsyD program. Despite the draw PhD programs have with being fully funded + a stipend, I feel I'd be much happier in a PsyD program. Shortly after graduating from undergrad, I moved to Denver and I've been working in the city ever since (unfortunately in a position that is not related to psychology or counseling whatsoever). I really love it here and don't want to move again as I've only been here less than a year, my husband's family and business is here.

The problem: I want to get into the University of Denver's PsyD program -- it's in a location that I love, they have recently enhanced their program, they have good match rates, etc. -- but I cannot wrap my head around the crippling amount of debt that I would have to go into if I took out loans. I paid my own way through undergrad and I'd be doing the same for grad school.

My question(s): Is there any way to make this program affordable without taking out loans? I've talked with a couple of administrators from the program, but they really just push getting loans. Do the TA/RA positions that are (limitedly) available come with a tuition waver, or is it just a stipend? Is there compensation associated with the positions available in the clinic? Is there anyone in the program that has been able to hold an outside job and also go to school?

Any info in this regard would be greatly appreciated!

Please note, many of us who have PhD's did more clinical work in graduate school than research and are now in primarily research careers. The research/clinical dichotomy is false. For the sake of your future financial security, please do some research and expand your search.

The problem: I want to get into the University of Denver's PsyD program -- it's in a location that I love, they have recently enhanced their program, they have good match rates, etc. -- but I cannot wrap my head around the crippling amount of debt that I would have to go into if I took out loans. I paid my own way through undergrad and I'd be doing the same for grad school.

This is a *huge* consideration. It would be crippling debt, particularly if you stay in CO, where the cost of living (COL) is higher than the national average, but the average psychologist salary is lower than other higher COL areas. Debt will follow you and impact you 10-20 years later.

FWIW, the financial info in their Outcome Data is scary. $172,656 estimated cost for three years of tuition. I'm not sure what it costs for internship or other years, but that is NUTS. I attended a uni-based Psy.D. program (albeit awhile back) and five years of tuition was HALF of that and it was STILL too much when I look at it now…as I pay back Sallie Mae every month for another 10 years.

Even with TA/RA-ship, unless it is 50-100% discount on tuition, it is waaaay too much debt to take on. Even if you have every single expense paid for by family, there are no other expenses your fourth/fifth years, that $172k+ is probably $200k+ once you compound the interest over 5 years (avg years to finish). I'd strongly advise you look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Please note, many of us who have PhD's did more clinical work in graduate school than research and are now in primarily research careers. The research/clinical dichotomy is false. For the sake of your future financial security, please do some research and expand your search.

Hi WisNeuro,

Yes, I've seen you mention that before. Thank you for your input. I'm in the very tentative stages of looking around and I will continue to view both PsyD and PhD programs until I make my final decision. Ultimately, I know that I love studying psychology and I want to become a practicing psychologist in the end. So I will choose the program most likely to make that happen. However, another large factor in my decision making is that out of the many friends and colleagues that I have had who are in or have completed PhD programs, all of them sound miserable when they talk about it. Even if they love their research, they sound like they feel suffocated by it and constantly give some variant of the advice 'You need to have a regular hobby you can do to get your mind off the research or you'll go insane,' whereas those I've spoken with in PsyD programs don't sound so low. That could just be a reflection of the workload of each program. In that regard, I'm not intimidated by the rigor of a PhD program by any means, but the outlook of the participants are definitely worrisome to me. What are your thoughts? How did you feel going through your PhD program?

This is a *huge* consideration. It would be crippling debt, particularly if you stay in CO, where the cost of living (COL) is higher than the national average, but the average psychologist salary is lower than other higher COL areas. Debt will follow you and impact you 10-20 years later.

FWIW, the financial info in their Outcome Data is scary. $172,656 estimated cost for three years of tuition. I'm not sure what it costs for internship or other years, but that is NUTS. I attended a uni-based Psy.D. program (albeit awhile back) and five years of tuition was HALF of that and it was STILL too much when I look at it now…as I pay back Sallie Mae every month for another 10 years.

Even with TA/RA-ship, unless it is 50-100% discount on tuition, it is waaaay too much debt to take on. Even if you have every single expense paid for by family, there are no other expenses your fourth/fifth years, that $172k+ is probably $200k+ once you compound the interest over 5 years (avg years to finish). I'd strongly advise you look elsewhere.

I know, I'm strongly advising myself as well lol. And as I mentioned to WisNeuro, my search has been cursory up to this point. I'm still exploring other options as well. Even though I'm pretty in love with their program (especially with their concentration in military psychology), the ramifications of that amount of debt would last wayyyyyyy too long. The cost for their internship year is actually next to nothing, but still, 3 years of coursework is just not worth almost $180k. Because of my nuanced interest in their military psychology program, I think I was hoping someone would help me justify such a high cost. Alas, here we are. I cri :'(

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate the input.

Hi WisNeuro,

Yes, I've seen you mention that before. Thank you for your input. I'm in the very tentative stages of looking around and I will continue to view both PsyD and PhD programs until I make my final decision. Ultimately, I know that I love studying psychology and I want to become a practicing psychologist in the end. So I will choose the program most likely to make that happen. However, another large factor in my decision making is that out of the many friends and colleagues that I have had who are in or have completed PhD programs, all of them sound miserable when they talk about it. Even if they love their research, they sound like they feel suffocated by it and constantly give some variant of the advice 'You need to have a regular hobby you can do to get your mind off the research or you'll go insane,' whereas those I've spoken with in PsyD programs don't sound so low. That could just be a reflection of the workload of each program. In that regard, I'm not intimidated by the rigor of a PhD program by any means, but the outlook of the participants are definitely worrisome to me. What are your thoughts? How did you feel going through your PhD program?

Sounds very program specific. I actually enjoyed my time in grad school quite a bit. If grad school had paid better, I could see having stayed an extra year or two :). But, it was nice to get through grad school with zero debt because I had full tuition remission and a decent stipend. In terms of outcomes, the vast majority of PhD students go on to clinical careers, and on average have better job prospects and salaries, according to the latest APA salary survey. Couple that with MUCH lower debt loads, and your after grad school years can look pretty good, indeed. There are plenty of balanced, or more clinically minded PhD programs out there. I'd suggest perusing the latest grad school guide from Norcross, it has rankings of how clinical or research oriented sites are.

I'd also recommend that you not focus too much on programs that have a "military psych" component, but rather look to sites that have active practicum placements with VA's.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds very program specific. I actually enjoyed my time in grad school quite a bit. If grad school had paid better, I could see having stayed an extra year or two :). But, it was nice to get through grad school with zero debt because I had full tuition remission and a decent stipend. In terms of outcomes, the vast majority of PhD students go on to clinical careers, and on average have better job prospects and salaries, according to the latest APA salary survey. Couple that with MUCH lower debt loads, and your after grad school years can look pretty good, indeed. There are plenty of balanced, or more clinically minded PhD programs out there. I'd suggest perusing the latest grad school guide from Norcross, it has rankings of how clinical or research oriented sites are.

I'd also recommend that you not focus too much on programs that have a "military psych" component, but rather look to sites that have active practicum placements with VA's.

Well jeeze when you put it that way... lol. This is all really great advice and gives me a great jumping off point. Thanks again for your input!

Hello everyone -

Please help. This post is mainly for those who have participated/are enrolled in DU's PsyD program.

My background: I have a B.S. in Psychology from GA Tech in Atlanta, a very research-intensive school with little to no focus on clinical/counseling psychology. The goal of the school was to prepare students for PhD programs, which is what I thought I wanted to do. But while doing my senior thesis (I did 2 years of I/O research) I realized that while I have a genuine respect and admiration for research, I don't want to spend 7 years of my life doing it to get to where I want to be which is actually practicing psychology. So for grad school I have determined I truly want to go into a PsyD program. Despite the draw PhD programs have with being fully funded + a stipend, I feel I'd be much happier in a PsyD program. Shortly after graduating from undergrad, I moved to Denver and I've been working in the city ever since (unfortunately in a position that is not related to psychology or counseling whatsoever). I really love it here and don't want to move again as I've only been here less than a year, my husband's family and business is here.

My question(s): Is there any way to make this program affordable without taking out loans? I've talked with a couple of administrators from the program, but they really just push getting loans. Do the TA/RA positions that are (limitedly) available come with a tuition waver, or is it just a stipend? Is there compensation associated with the positions available in the clinic? Is there anyone in the program that has been able to hold an outside job and also go to school?

Any info in this regard would be greatly appreciated!

Hello,

I applied to and was accepted to the Denver Psyd program for the fall 2015 application cycle . After being accepted, I looked into the finances of this program very closely because I also LOVED the program. Great interview experience. After this great experience, I spent over a month speaking with current students and learning about loans/funding options. I won't say much here but feel free to PM if you want more information.

So on interview day they passed out a "projected cost of attendance". This number included things like tuition and books but not stuff like gas for your car. The number was $67,000. (Per year) Here are some ways they said you can possibly lower that number: First, after you interview you may be offered a scholarship. This is based on credentials, need, so on....I will say that even students who were awarded scholarships were still taking out loans. You can get a TA position or job working at the clinic or teaching but I was told by current students that with tuition being so high they still have lots of loans. Finally, if you are coming in with a masters, you can shave some courses off and save money.

There were absolutely students there that said they have 200k in student loans from the program alone. I asked several students how they feel about their debt and got varied responses. Some said they have learned to laugh about it, others said they accept it but know it is a huge deal that they will be paying on for years to come, and others said it is "just a bill to be paid like any other". One man I spoke with said he can't handle looking at his statements and ignores the issue for now. I wish I could say the money will work itself out but it is a REALLY big deal and you will need a plan to pay. I know exactly what you mean by the pushing loans statement because they really do push the perception that taking out large amounts of loans is not a problem. It is and should not be taken lightly. I turned the program down because of the money. I attend a fully funded phd program and I am happy. Lots of opportunity for clinical work and research which is my primary interest as well (i.e. I can do applied clinical research).

Denver psyd program was the only program in that area and only psyd I applied to so it is hard to mention alternatives. DU does have a counseling program that offers at least some funding. I think they just started taking people w/o masters. I do not want to sound discouraging (it is a great program!)...I mean you may have personal means to help with cost of attendance but I ultimately decided not to take out the money. I hope this helps...sorry so long but it is important that you know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

I applied to and was accepted to the Denver Psyd program for the fall 2015 application cycle . After being accepted, I looked into the finances of this program very closely because I also LOVED the program. Great interview experience. After this great experience, I spent over a month speaking with current students and learning about loans/funding options. I won't say much here but feel free to PM if you want more information.

So on interview day they passed out a "projected cost of attendance". This number included things like tuition and books but not stuff like gas for your car. The number was $67,000. (Per year) Here are some ways they said you can possibly lower that number: First, after you interview you may be offered a scholarship. This is based on credentials, need, so on....I will say that even students who were awarded scholarships were still taking out loans. You can get a TA position or job working at the clinic or teaching but I was told by current students that with tuition being so high they still have lots of loans. Finally, if you are coming in with a masters, you can shave some courses off and save money.

There were absolutely students there that said they have 200k in student loans from the program alone. I asked several students how they feel about their debt and got varied responses. Some said they have learned to laugh about it, others said they accept it but know it is a huge deal that they will be paying on for years to come, and others said it is "just a bill to be paid like any other". One man I spoke with said he can't handle looking at his statements and ignores the issue for now. I wish I could say the money will work itself out but it is a REALLY big deal and you will need a plan to pay. I know exactly what you mean by the pushing loans statement because they really do push the perception that taking out large amounts of loans is not a problem. It is and should not be taken lightly. I turned the program down because of the money. I attend a fully funded phd program and I am happy. Lots of opportunity for clinical work and research which is my primary interest as well (i.e. I can do applied clinical research).

Denver psyd program was the only program in that area and only psyd I applied to so it is hard to mention alternatives. DU does have a counseling program that offers at least some funding. I think they just started taking people w/o masters. I do not want to sound discouraging (it is a great program!)...I mean you may have personal means to help with cost of attendance but I ultimately decided not to take out the money. I hope this helps...sorry so long but it is important that you know.

Hey! No need to be sorry about the long post; this is the exact kind of info I was looking for, thank you!! In reality, any way I look at this I just can't seem to justify the cost. Especially when the tuition for other graduate programs within the same university are significantly lower (their PhD programs through their School of Psychology are estimated at $20k lower per year than the PsyD program). It kinda puts a bad taste in my mouth and makes me think they're just trying to milk as much money out of people as possible rather than giving their program a reasonable and accurate valuation. I'm gonna take @WisNeuro 's advice and start with Norcross's guide to help me figure out what kind of program I really want to join and go from there. Thanks again for taking the time to give a thorough response!

Hi all -

I've been refining what programs I would like to apply to; however, due to limited funds I can only select a few. Do you have any feedback on the quality, reputation, acceptance rates, and funding regarding these programs:

Univeristy of rhode island - clinical psychology

I worked in a setting where we would have practicum students from URI. I cannot tell you all the horror stories but I can tell you two of the three students I met had funding issues. One student lost after their first year, another after their second year. Both were forced to take out loans despite all their promises of "full funding for X amount of years". To give you an idea of the politics in the program, let's just say there is a student currently in the program who was able to bypass many objectives of the program. This student was currently working under the supervision of their parent. Typical RI fashion.

Hey! No need to be sorry about the long post; this is the exact kind of info I was looking for, thank you!! In reality, any way I look at this I just can't seem to justify the cost. Especially when the tuition for other graduate programs within the same university are significantly lower (their PhD programs through their School of Psychology are estimated at $20k lower per year than the PsyD program). It kinda puts a bad taste in my mouth and makes me think they're just trying to milk as much money out of people as possible rather than giving their program a reasonable and accurate valuation. I'm gonna take @WisNeuro 's advice and start with Norcross's guide to help me figure out what kind of program I really want to join and go from there. Thanks again for taking the time to give a thorough response!

No problem! Completely agree .....as nice as their program is and as great as they were on interview day...... I have some bad feelings about the way they talk about large amounts of loans so nonchalantly!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I worked in a setting where we would have practicum students from URI. I cannot tell you all the horror stories but I can tell you two of the three students I met had funding issues. One student lost after their first year, another after their second year. Both were forced to take out loans despite all their promises of "full funding for X amount of years". To give you an idea of the politics in the program, let's just say there is a student currently in the program who was able to bypass many objectives of the program. This student was currently working under the supervision of their parent. Typical RI fashion.

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. If that's the case, i'd definitely like to stay clear!

Hello all,

I have ambitions to get my Phd in Psych, most likely in a clinical program. I have personal experience with schizophrenia during my undergraduate time, and have what I would consider an incredible amount of insight into the disorder and have recovered tremendously. (I have been out of the psychiatric ward for 3 1/2 years now). Unfortunately, during my undergraduate time, my GPA dropped to roughly a 3.00, and I have a degree in Finance with minors in Psych and Economics. I am curious to hear what professionals in this area think a good route to take would be, as in schools to apply to and research to perform if accepted into a desired program. I am eager to help others who have been through the same or similar experience I have, and I feel I can bring a level of insight, introspection, and empathy to the field not commonly found.
I appreciate any thoughts and opinions to be shared!

Hello!

I am deciding potentially between two PsyDs at the University of Hartford & La Salle University (I was accepted into Hartford and have an interview at La Salle, but since that interview is late I'd rather have a good idea of a decision in mind soon).

Doing a pros and cons list, they were both comparable as of last year's (2016) EPPP rates (UH Passing: 79%, LS: 94%) & APA accredited internship match (UH: 100%, LS: ~92%). Otherwise Hartford sounds like it would be ~$80k with limited stipend, whereas La Salle ~$100k with even more limited stipend (available only 1st year). Both CBT oriented. And a bunch of other little factors like La Salle having their own clinic in addition to practicum but Hartford potentially having better connection for externship/practicum & internship sites.

But, theoretically taking away money factor, I am curious as to which one is more reputable. It's hard finding unbiased answers on either, but is one program better connected/more recognizable in the clinical world than the other? Does anyone have an idea for what are the general reputations for each?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello!

I am deciding potentially between two PsyDs at the University of Hartford & La Salle University (I was accepted into Hartford and have an interview at La Salle, but since that interview is late I'd rather have a good idea of a decision in mind soon).

Doing a pros and cons list, they were both comparable as of last year's (2016) EPPP rates (UH Passing: 79%, LS: 94%) & APA accredited internship match (UH: 100%, LS: ~92%). Otherwise Hartford sounds like it would be ~$80k with limited stipend, whereas La Salle ~$100k with even more limited stipend (available only 1st year). Both CBT oriented. And a bunch of other little factors like La Salle having their own clinic in addition to practicum but Hartford potentially having better connection for externship/practicum & internship sites.

But, theoretically taking away money factor, I am curious as to which one is more reputable. It's hard finding unbiased answers on either, but is one program better connected/more recognizable in the clinical world than the other? Does anyone have an idea for what are the general reputations for each?

Thank you!

La Salle has the better rep overall. I wouldn't consider Hartford's EPPP rates comparable to La Salle, particularly when you look at subsection performance (e.g., Hartford Assesssment: 61.38%, La Salle Assessment = 71.35%; Hartford RM/Stats = 53.72%, La Salle RM/Stats = 71.41%).

Hello!

Thank you!

Just a small clarification, I think you are looking at overall match rate rather than accredited match rates. Last year UH was at 88% and La Salle was 92%. At least as reported by APPIC itself. Still pretty close, though. Reputation wise, not sure, I've never come across an application from either.

My girlfriend wants to go to a clinical psychology PhD program, but she's been having some trouble getting into them and she's at something of a crossroads. She applied to 5 schools last year, self admittedly didn't try too hard on the applications, and got waitlisted at one. This round she applied to 15 and really threw herself at the application process. She so far got one interview and will likely get no more.

The problem is that the school she got interviewed at is not funded, and doesn't appear to be very good. It is Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale. It is estimated that the PhD will put her 122k in the hole in tuition and fees alone; this does not take into account her living expenses which will also likely need to be covered in loans. The school appears to be very weak in terms of financial aid; one student snickered and said 'good luck' when asked about scholarships, and even if you work with the school in a TA type position you will only be compensated $1000 a semester. This school is also low-ranked, not even in the top 100 by the listings I looked up. When asked about the lack of funding, staff at the school tried to make it sound good by saying that at funded programs you are essentially 'at the mercy' of your advisor. They claim their program awards more freedom for independence, but I find this claim to be weak at best.

She is worried that if this is the only school that accepts her this year that she will have to go. Admittedly, she likes the professors she met with, and their research focus is very specifically what she wants. So it isn't all bad.

Here is some more background info to fill-in the situation:
  • She got a 3.9 GPA psych B.A. from a small, relatively unknown liberal arts college
  • She has one publication for which she is the second author out of 2. This publication is relevant to what she wants to study for her PhD
  • She has worked for 18 months as a clinical research assistant, though this research is not at all related to what she wants to study and what she's applying for
  • Her GRE scores are a little weak; I have no concrete numbers, though
  • She has some other work experience at a psych hospital from her undergrad years
  • She is 23 and has been out of undergrad for 2 years

I think going to this school is a poor choice, especially since it is a mediocre program at best and she will be paying back this debt for more than decade. She's also interested in academia over clinical practice and I know that the quality/prestige of your school has a lot more sway in that realm. This also means a PsyD is not preferable.

However, I am at a loss for what the next viable alternatives are since I myself am not in psych. What I've come up with is that she should perhaps try to get some research experience in her desired topic, whether that be by master's degree or a new job. She's very hesitant to do another cycle of applications given the time and financial burden of them, but to me it's clear that this headache would be astronomically smaller than the time and financial burden of paying back student loans until she's 50. But I also recognize that I can view her situation more clearly since I am not the one who is most acutely affected by it.

Any guidance? I'm sure a million stories like these come through here. What are some good courses of action here?

However, I am at a loss for what the next viable alternatives are since I myself am not in psych. What I've come up with is that she should perhaps try to get some research experience in her desired topic, whether that be by master's degree or a new job. She's very hesitant to do another cycle of applications given the time and financial burden of them, but to me it's clear that this headache would be astronomically smaller than the time and financial burden of paying back student loans until she's 50. But I also recognize that I can view her situation more clearly since I am not the one who is most acutely affected by it.

I agree with you. It's important to know how many graduates of a program are matched to an APA-accredited internship. Nova Southeatern's stats are better in recent years for the PhD program, but the PsyD program still doesn't have a strong track record. It was unclear from your message which program she was interviewed for, since you mentioned both. If it's the PsyD that is taking a huge gamble, at a hefty cost. I would still argue that the PhD isn't worth it when so many funded programs are out there.

When asked about the lack of funding, staff at the school tried to make it sound good by saying that at funded programs you are essentially 'at the mercy' of your advisor. They claim their program awards more freedom for independence, but I find this claim to be weak at best.

I look down on that kind of misleading rationalization. I'm not sure what they mean by "freedom" anyway -- freedom from accountability on their part is what it sounds like. This is a sales pitch, not a reflection of reality.

Any guidance? I'm sure a million stories like these come through here. What are some good courses of action here?

1. Be patient.
2. Re-take the GRE.
3. Ask mentors for an honest evaluation of application strengths and weaknesses, and come up with a plan to remedy them.
4. Consider whether poor fit or geographic inflexibility could have been contributing factors.
5. Come up with a solid Plan B as an alternative to a risky/mediocre Plan A.

I am pursuing a career in clinical neuropsychology. I recently gained acceptance into two clinical psychology PhD programs. The first is a joint-degree PhD program in behavioral neuroscience and clinical psychology. The second is a general PhD program in clinical psychology, but with a module in neuropsychology. The research between the two programs is very similar, so now I am perplexed as to which program I should attend. How necessary is the neuropsychology module for getting an internship in neuropsychology? Would receiving dual training in behavioral neuroscience and clinical psychology provide the same prestige (or more? less?) than a neuropsychology module?