Help me choose one of these two away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chongli04us

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Would appreciate your input so I can choose an away rotation between these two places in vascular surgery:

School 1
Pro:
1) In my home state
2) has 5+0 integrated vascular surgery residency (I will for sure apply for 5+0 route)
3) Scheduled my step 2 CS at a location that is within driving distance

Con:
1) Was told by numerous vascular surgery residents that the program was subpar; few told me that residents didn't like what they were doing.
2) Case volume small (1 OR and 1 endo suite for the entire vascular surgery department).
3) New program that never graduated a vascular surgery resident.
3) Would not want to apply there if the above statements were true

School 2
Pro:
1) In a state that I always wanted to visit
2) Associated with other programs in that state that I am interested in applying
3) A place that is willing to take me, as I was scrambling to find another away rotation in vascular surgery after hearing school 1 was not ideal, but it was late in the away rotation application period that many other school I was interested were already filled.

Con:
1) Do not have a 5+0 vascular surgery program
2) Unknown to many residents/attendings with whom I have spoken about this program

I redacted the two schools' names on purpose. Sorry for the cloud of mystery. Would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.