HELP! international medical graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmjonesy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am an optometry student at Cebu Doctors university in the Philippines. After I finish school in Cebu I want to come back to the U.S. to practice. What does an FMG have to do to be able to work as a doctor here in America. I am also an American citizen from Texas. I have been searching all over the web but I can't find a solid answer. Please help!

thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I am an optometry student at Cebu Doctors university in the Philippines. After I finish school in Cebu I want to come back to the U.S. to practice. What does an FMG have to do to be able to work as a doctor here in America. I am also an American citizen from Texas. I have been searching all over the web but I can't find a solid answer. Please help!

thanks in advance.

Unfortunately you may have to start over from scratch. Plus you will not have taken NBEO I, II, and III. You MAY get an OD school to give you some credits but probably not very many.

It's pointless and really stupid of me to have left the country to try and save tens of thousands of dollars in med school. Being an IMG really is horrible. Looks like I'm switching to engineering.

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks in advance.

From ASCO (Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry):
http://www.opted.org/i4a/pages/inde...to_practice_in_optometry_in_the_United_States

As a graduate of a foreign school/college, how do I become eligible to practice in optometry in the United States?

To be eligible to take the National Board of Optometry Examination and all state licensure examinations, you must have graduated from one of the schools/colleges of optometry in the United States that are accredited by the Council on Optometric Education. For further information, contact the National Board of Optometry at www.optometry.org

Option 1
Of the schools/colleges of optometry, the following will award an O.D. degree to graduates of foreign schools upon completion of a special program:

* The New England College of Optometry
* Pennsylvania College of Optometry
* Pacific University, College of Optometry

Option 2
Of the schools/colleges of optometry, the following will admit graduates of foreign schools to their programs with advanced standing:

* Illinois College of Optometry
* The New England College of Optometry
* Pennsylvania College of Optometry
* State University of New York, State College of Optometry
* University of Houston, College of Optometry

More information may be obtained directly from the individual institutions listed above. Click here for a list of schools and college of optometry and contact information.

Contact the schools listed above to find out your options. Good luck! :xf:

Hi rmjonesy,

I just wanted to encourage you that YOU CAN PRACTICE here after getting your degree there. You need to pass the NBEO 1,2,3 and contact the State for which you plan to practice for additional requirements. I don't know where ther other informations here came from but it is certainly not true.

All you have to do is contact the organization directly www.optometry.org to get the most reliable information. Bec if you will be listening to the naysayers, you will not achieve / finish anything.

God Bless and stay focused.

http://www.optometry.org/faq.cfm#foreign

Candidates for the examinations are classified into three general categories.

Click here for ACMO requirements.

1. Student Candidates Student candidates must receive approval of their dean (or dean's authorized representative) for admission to the examinations. The dean (or dean's authorized representative) should certify that the candidate has completed, or is expected to have completed prior to taking the examinations, all of that institution's requirements.

The earliest date for a student candidate to take the Part I examination is the March administration during the candidate's third professional year in an accredited institution.* The earliest date for a student candidate to take the Part II examination is the December administration during the candidate's academic year of graduation at an accredited institution*, thus allowing two opportunities to sit for the examination prior to graduation.
Student candidates in the final semester/quarter of the year of graduation at an accredited institution* are eligible to take the Part III examination. While most student candidates will be taking this examination before they officially graduate, an individual candidate's official score report from the Part III examination will not be released until the National Board receives notification from the candidate's institution that the candidate has graduated and after the final graduation exercises of all the ACOE accredited institutions in the summer. [SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

The earliest date for a student candidate to take the stand-alone Treatment and Management of Ocular Disease (TMOD) examination is the April administration during the candidate's year of graduation at an accredited institution. However, as a reminder, student candidates take the equivalent of the TMOD examination when they take the Part II (Clinical Science) examination. For additional information, see the Part II (Clinical Science) and/or TMOD sections within "Description of Examinations."
Student candidates should contact the college liaison administrator at their institution for clarification on any matter regarding eligibility to take the examinations. See the listing of College Liaison Administrator's for contact information.

2. Graduate Candidates
Any graduate of an accredited institution* is eligible to apply for admission to take the Part I, II, and III examinations of the National Board. Any graduate of an accredited institution* is eligible to apply for admission to take the Treatment and Management of Ocular Disease (TMOD) examination.

3. Sponsored Candidates
Candidates who are not students at, or graduates of, an accredited academic institution* must be "sponsored" to take Part I or Part II by either a state licensure board in optometry or an accredited academic institution.*

States: The National Board requires a letter from the state board specifying which exam(s) the candidate is being sponsored, along with the candidate's name, social security number, date and other relevant information. The National Board requires a new sponsorship letter every 12 months. It is the responsibility of the candidate to contact the state board directly to see that the letter is supplied to the National Board. Click here for State Boards.

Schools: An accredited optometry institution may only sponsor a candidate for Part I - Basic Science. This applies to all graduates of non-U.S.A. and non-Canadian institutions. The purpose of schools sponsoring candidates is to judge their academic education for placement at their school. The National Board requires a letter from the dean or president specifying the exam, candidate name, social security number, date and other relevant information.

Candidates who are not students at, or graduates of, an accredited institution* must be sponsored to take Part III or the Treatment and Management of Ocular Disease (TMOD) examination by a state licensure board in optometry or an accredited institution. However, in order to be eligible to take Part III, sponsored candidates must first pass Parts I & II.
* Accredited by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE) of the American Optometric Association. Accredited Academic institutions include the 16 schools and colleges of optometry in the continental United States, the School of Optometry at Inter American University of Puerto Rico, and the two schools of optometry in Canada.

Hi rmjonesy,

I just wanted to encourage you that YOU CAN PRACTICE here after getting your degree there. You need to pass the NBEO 1,2,3 and contact the State for which you plan to practice for additional requirements. I don't know where ther other informations here came from but it is certainly not true.

All you have to do is contact the organization directly www.optometry.org to get the most reliable information. Bec if you will be listening to the naysayers, you will not achieve / finish anything.

God Bless and stay focused.

?! What exactly are you saying is not true?

?! What exactly are you saying is not true?

Why is it that whenever someone states that something may not be the easiest thing to do, someone else says their information is wrong or they are trying to sabotage the situation?

Why is it that whenever someone states that something may not be the easiest thing to do, someone else says their information is wrong or they are trying to sabotage the situation?

Seriously.

Yup.

Last edited:
well, i am a graduate of a foreign OD program myself. all u have to do is contact the state board of Optometry for sponsorship to take the boards. but ur degree should be equal to an OD or greater. they will ask for ur wes (world education services) evaluated transcript, and when they approve of it ,then u will get sponsored to take the boards. i know several licensed optometrists some of who are even professors in the optometry schools here who did not have to go thru schooling again. All they had to do was write the NBEO I II & III.

Reactions: 1 user
well, i am a graduate of a foreign OD program myself. all u have to do is contact the state board of Optometry for sponsorship to take the boards. but ur degree should be equal to an OD or greater. they will ask for ur wes (world education services) evaluated transcript, and when they approve of it ,then u will get sponsored to take the boards. i know several licensed optometrists some of who are even professors in the optometry schools here who did not have to go thru schooling again. All they had to do was write the NBEO I II & III.
Ok i want to ask California board of optometry allows me to sit in NBEO .. So i am going to take Exam coming March.is this ok?

can i PM you?

Can the california board of optometry sponsor me to sit in NBEO? I am an optometrist in the Philippines who graduated from CEU with a 6 yr program.

Can the california board of optometry sponsor me to sit in NBEO? I am an optometrist in the Philippines who graduated from CEU with a 6 yr program.
Yes They Can. You need WES to evaluate your degree first.

What should be written in the wes report to know if my credentials are equal of that of USA standards? I will submit my documents this week.
Wes will evaluate your credits and will state in the report whether the amount of credits are equivalent to us degree.