Help Fight Student Debt!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwesner

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Times are changing fast, especially for the college student. Current students have the highest student debt ever recorded, coming in over $1.3 trillion dollars. Unfortunately, the future isn’t looking any better.

We’d like your support in stopping lawmakers from raiding the Federal Pell Grant Fund. This grant helps college students make their way through school without accumulating such massive debt, all while getting the treatment they deserve.

We hope you’ll join us by signing and sharing our petition.

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

This program won't do much to curb student debt. The real problem lies with the universities and their rising tuitions aimed at capturing the increased acccess to loans and to Pell Grants. It is the colleges that are raiding the Pell Grant fund--not Congress. If I'm a university president now, and I see that access to Pell Grants is increasing, I'm raising tuition prices to try to capture some of that or giving out fewer of my own grants. The current system is inherently flawed, as colleges and universities bear no responsibility for the success of their students or the financial burdens they place upon other students or the federal government.

The above measure is short-sighted. Make a petition to make universities responsible for making half of the loans to students to their students and bearing this cost, and we'll talk.

Reactions: 3 users
The Pell Grant system, while good intentions, is abused and a complete waste of taxpayer money just like the majority of federal spending.

It was always a joke at the community college level that you couldn't find a parking space until refund check day occurred.... and sure enough it was true. There are way too many professional students who abuse this.