Help creating school list (124 CARS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theNDhopeful44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just got my MCAT back yesterday and received a 512 (130/124/128/130) and would like to start making a list of schools, MD and DO. I'll post my stats below, and I'll spare you the resume details because that's always messy. I might want to pick up an MPH or another graduate degree during/after med school, but that's farther down the road.

Sex: M
State of residence: .
Undergraduate institution: .
Major: .
cGPA: 3.82
sGPA: 3.80
MCAT, 6/2/2016: 512 (130/124/128/130)
Abbreviated resume: 600+ hours of research, 200 hours clinical volunteering, 150 hours shadowing. All pretty standard.

I understand I have a 124 in CARS- will that screen me out automatically for a lot of programs? I'm just trying to gauge the schools that would best fit my credentials.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably better to post in WAMC thread

Nope, it won't screen you out. 124 is an 8 on the old MCAT, which is fine.

I applied with a 124 CARS and had no issues at all, including the reach schools I applied to. My bio section was higher than yours but my gpa was lower. Make your school list without regard to your CARS.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should be ok if you apply to all your state schools. Maybe pick another handful or so as "Plan B" if those for some reason dont work out. Id go for schools with an MCAT median around roughly 32 that get <11k apps. 3.8/32 in Ohio, that should be enough if the interviews go smoothly

I'm going to be the bold one and (hopefully) end this argument by directing focus back to why I posted. :)

@gyngyn, I would love your opinion on my MCAT situation (512, 130/124/128/130) and whether or not I'm being neurotic about not wanting to retake because there's no way I'd score that high on C/P or P/S ever again.

I'm going to be the bold one and (hopefully) end this argument by directing focus back to why I posted. :)

@gyngyn, I would love your opinion on my MCAT situation (512, 130/124/128/130) and whether or not I'm being neurotic about not wanting to retake because there's no way I'd score that high on C/P or P/S ever again.

https://students-residents.aamc.org/advisors/article/percentile-ranks-for-the-mcat-exam/

According to the last 10 years of MCAT percentiles, a VR of 8 has fallen anywhere between ~37-55%. 124 CARS (49th percentile) falls right in that range and is for all purposes equal to a VR of 8. If you look at the MSAR many schools have a 8 VR as the 10th percentile of what they accept.. so you won't be screened out at these schools (a good amount of mid to low tier. Just looking at my favorites list alone I can count 40 schools with an 8 VR, and that's not including schools that I already personally removed. I'd imagine 8 VR would be fine for many of the ~40 or so DO schools as well.

If you (or me since I had a 124 CARS as well) had any lower of a score we would probably have to retake (a lot less schools have a VR of 7 at the 10th%, most of which being instate public schools).

Last edited:
What ar
https://students-residents.aamc.org/advisors/article/percentile-ranks-for-the-mcat-exam/

According to the last 10 years of MCAT percentiles, a VR of 8 has fallen anywhere between ~37-55%. 124 CARS (49th percentile) falls right in that range and is for all purposes equal to a VR of 8. If you look at the MSAR many schools have a 8 VR as the 10th percentile of what they accept.. so you won't be screened out at these schools (a good amount of mid to low tier. Just looking at my favorites list alone I can count 40 schools with an 8 VR, and that's not including schools that I already personally removed. I'd imagine 8 VR would be fine for many of the ~40 or so DO schools as well.

If you (or me since I had a 124 CARS as well) had any lower of a score we would probably have to retake (a lot less schools have a VR of 7 at the 10th%, most of which being instate public schools).
What are some good mid tiers to look into that I have a good shot at, considering my MCAT and GPA?

What ar

What are some good mid tiers to look into that I have a good shot at, considering my MCAT and GPA?

Off the top of my head (although some of these are low tiers)

8 VR
Toledo
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Albany Medical College
Creighton
Virginia Commonwealth
Western Michigan
George Washington University
Oakland Bueamont
New York Medical College
Loyola
Wake Forest

Solid Mid tiers tend to have 9 VR
Tulane
Jefferson
Albert Einstein
Temple
Tufts
New York University
Dartmouth
Ohio State
Rochester
University of Virginia School of Medicine

All of them are out of state friendly. You would have an above average GPA/MCAT at most of them. You really shouldn't have a trouble making a full list (~30 schools) though, your GPA is great and 512 (32) is a strong score. Even better if you're willing to apply the 9VR schools.

Note: I'm not an adcom, just someone with a 512 (124 CARS) score who did basic research.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head (although some of these are low tiers)

Medical College of Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Albany Medical College
Creighton
Virginia Commonwealth
New York Medical College

All of them accept many out of state and are 8 VR schools. You would have an above average GPA/MCAT at most of them. You really shouldn't have a trouble making a full list (~30 schools) though, your GPA is great and 512 (32) is a strong score.
There are mid tiers...? I had thought my MCAT would make me competitive for other programs...

There are mid tiers...? I had thought my MCAT would make me competitive for other programs...

I would have said Georgetown but they don't think 124 is competitive. Did you expect me to make a full comprehensive list for you.... >_>

Search for schools with a LizzyM near 70 and VR8-9, that accept a good percentage of out of state (20% or up)

Last edited:
I'm kind of confused by the logic that you can only advise people if you've been in the situation yourself? So only people who've had experience applying with a 124 in CARS can share their opinion? :confused:

OP while I do not have personal experience applying with your score I can tell you that I do know a few people who got into many fine MD schools with a 124 in CARS (their overall scores were still good like yours). If you look through MSAR you will see there are plenty of schools where an 8 is the 10th percentile for VR. It is a non-issue. Apply to your state schools and maybe 10-15 more schools that have a 31-32 MCAT median.

What about places like Emory,
I'm kind of confused by the logic that you can only advise people if you've been in the situation yourself? So only people who've had experience applying with a 124 in CARS can share their opinion? :confused:

OP while I do not have personal experience applying with your score I can tell you that I do know a few people who got into many fine MD schools with a 124 in CARS (their overall scores were still good like yours). If you look through MSAR you will see there are plenty of schools where an 8 is the 10th percentile for VR. It is a non-issue. Apply to your state schools and maybe 10-15 more schools that have a 31-32 MCAT median.
Thank you. So do I basically have no shot at the well known mid tiers? Sorry for sounding snobbish- I'll go wherever I get in, but I guess I had thought my MCAT would've made me more competitive for other programs. For example, my top choice now is between Dartmouth, Brown (low tier ivies) and Tufts (my alma mater)

Thank you. So do I basically have no shot at the well known mid tiers? Sorry for sounding snobbish- I'll go wherever I get in, but I guess I had thought my MCAT would've made me more competitive for other programs. For example, my top choice now is between Dartmouth, Brown (low tier ivies) and Tufts (my alma mater)

I don't have all the school's medians right now (my MSAR recently expired...) but I don't think it would be unreasonable for you to apply to schools with 33-34 MCAT medians. Emory would be worth applying to as a slight reach. Apparently Dartmouth likes older non-trads. Brown I heard likes "quirky" people whatever that means and a lot of their students are from their own undergrad/special program. Tufts seems like a good match for you.

Emory has a 10 VR, but a 123 subsection screening cut off according to their website. You could apply mid tiers anyway even if they have a VR of 9 or 10.

General tier guideline based on LizzyM scores:
High tier > 73
Mid tier 70-73
Low < 70

Last edited:

You will be fine.

124 is fine for Georgetown. Their website states it's not competitive, but I applied and was accepted directly (most are WL'ed first). I was also invited to interview at Cornell (didn't attend) and Dartmouth (accepted). Like I said earlier, you should apply based on your overall MCAT score and not worry about your CARS.

Numerous posters in here (pre-meds) have advised you to apply bottom-heavy and avoid specific schools that you are competitive for. This is why it's important to understand their level of experience with applying (a non-student who intends to apply but hasn't yet is a pre-med, btw). Seek out accepted medical students who have recently applied with a similar MCAT and put stock in their advice, whether it's coming from me or someone else. Definitely apply to some safeties and good fits, but don't limit yourself from reaches. If you want an actual list, feel free to PM me.

I've merged all of the derailed posts out of this thread and into a new one. Please keep this one totally on topic.

Re-posting this to this thread since my advice got lumped in with the off-topic advice (no worries :) ), I want to make sure OP sees it:

You should definitely apply to Tufts. They accept a decent amount of their own undergrads, so even with your CARS score I think they are worth the application. Your MCAT is competitive, but not outstanding (sorry), so you could apply to some schools of the Emory/Dartmouth/Brown/Tufts caliber, you just shouldn't applysolely to those programs. Definitely add some of the lower-mid tier schools that have been suggested to you. And, of course, I'm always an advocate for applying to the "what if" or "for kicks" schools, if you have the money. If next year you'll regret not giving yourself the opportunity to be considered, then by all means submit an application. We can't predict the future, so you really never know what might happen.

Hope that was helpful, sorry your thread turned into a bit of a cat fight. Good luck with your applications!! :)

I am in the same situation and would like some advice on building a school list. I dont know what happened with cars but my here are my stats and ec's
MCAT: 513 (129,124,130,130)
GPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.87
Major: Neuroscience from a highly competitive research institution
Research: 1 year in psychology, summer in neurosurgery, no pubs yet
Leadership: sustained philanthropy eboard w/ upcoming presidency
community service: tutored underserved city youth in reading and math

my lizzy m score is a 70.7

really dont want to retake but Im worried about being screened out with a low cars section