Help calm my nerves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hardygirl24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello new to SDN and just want to get some clarification on schools to dream about and advice. I am going into my jr. Year with cgpa of 3.46 and a sgpa ~3.3. I have not taken th mcat yet but have already started studying. I have been doing research with a professor since freshman year and have a poster. I am in a couple science related clubs, the pre med program at my school and have done some tutoring. I also did about 45 hrs of volunteering at a local hospital and already have a pre med shadowing set up next summer that promised 100+ hours. I already have 5 lor from chem/bio/humanities professors. Any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello new to SDN and just want to get some clarification on schools to dream about and advice. I am going into my jr. Year with cgpa of 3.46 and a sgpa ~3.3. I have not taken th mcat yet but have already started studying. I have been doing research with a professor since freshman year and have a poster. I am in a couple science related clubs, the pre med program at my school and have done some tutoring. I also did about 45 hrs of volunteering at a local hospital and already have a pre med shadowing set up next summer that promised 100+ hours. I already have 5 lor from chem/bio/humanities professors. Any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!!!

Welcome to SDN! Your extracurriculars are great (though volunteering is a little low). Your GPA is pretty low for MD schools (average is about a 3.7). Consider asking what classes and teachers are the easiest, you can bring it up this year, and consider DO schools. Also, the WAMC thread generally has a pretty specific purpose, feel free to join us on the main pre-MD thread if you have more questions. (And if you do, don't get to freaked out. SDN will literally tell you you need to get 250+hours clinical, 250+hours volunteerings, and a 3.8, which isn't true.)

It's fantastic you have those letters, make sure your school doesn't have a committee process. You don't want to accidentally circumvent it!

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to SDN! Your extracurriculars are great (though volunteering is a little low). Your GPA is pretty low for MD schools (average is about a 3.7). Consider asking what classes and teachers are the easiest, you can bring it up this year, and consider DO schools. Also, the WAMC thread generally has a pretty specific purpose, feel free to join us on the main pre-MD thread if you have more questions. (And if you do, don't get to freaked out. SDN will literally tell you you need to get 250+hours clinical, 250+hours volunteerings, and a 3.8, which isn't true.)

It's fantastic you have those letters, make sure your school doesn't have a committee process. You don't want to accidentally circumvent it!
Thank you so much. I'm trying my best to stay above eveything academically but sometimes it is just so hard. It's also just so fusterating to see how low my Gpa is when I have pretty alright grades (only one c). It's amazing how discouraging this journey can be. If I didn't want this so bad I can see how easy it would be to drop out. Fortunately/ unfortunately I want this more than I want air. Thank you for the advice. Very kind of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree just work on getting your grades up as high as you can, and try and get more clinical and non-clinical volunteering in. Definitely consider looking into DO schools also, unless you can raise your GPA more and get a good MCAT score.

You need to triple the patient contact experience. The sGPA is pretty much lethal for MD, unless you live in a very lucky state. You're fine for DO. You do NOT need 100 hrs of shadowing! 40-50 is fine.

Also get in more service to others style volunteering (non-clinical)

Reactions: 2 users