Help a High School Student!

sweeter35

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior in high school taking a few college classes and 3 AP classes.

I'm taking AP Calculus AB, AP World History, and AP Statistics. Previously, I took AP Chem (5), AP Chinese (5), AP US History (2), AP English (4), and AP Spanish (3).

Will medical schools see my AP scores? I got A's in the classes but not-so-amazing AP scores. Do I get a grade for AP? Please shed some light on how exactly AP plays a role.

I am so terribly confused on how AP credits even work. For instance, if I transfer AP English over to my university, do I get an "A" in English on my university transcript?

In terms of AP classes, ppl told me it's good to just fail AP classes and retake them in college to get easy A's. For one example, with AP Calculus AB, I will get A's in high school and I know I will need to take 1 year of calculus in college (prereq for med school). Can I fail the AP test and then take differential calc and integral calc (which I basically already know) in college (easy A). I wonder if they'd see that I failed the AP test.

Members don't see this ad.

Update: If this matters, I will be attending UCI or UCD most likely (starting this fall).

They won't see your AP scores. Do not fail an AP you can pass. Just get a 4 or 5 on it, get the college credit and take a more advanced course in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
They won't see your AP scores. Do not fail an AP you can pass. Just get a 4 or 5 on it, get the college credit and take a more advanced course in college.

but won't it be harder on my GPA that way? for example, if i'm in AP calc AB and i'm majoring in chemistry, i'm only going to need 1 year of calculus (differential and integral) in order to apply to medical school. if i fail the AP test, then i get to take easy calc and get A's.

on the other hand, if i pass calc, then i end up starting in multivariable calc. i might do worse there.

another question: does it look more impressive to med schools to take higher-level stuff, like multivariable calc and linear algebra, as opposed to the bare minimum of the least advanced calc (differential and integral)?

but won't it be harder on my GPA that way? for example, if i'm in AP calc AB and i'm majoring in chemistry, i'm only going to need 1 year of calculus (differential and integral) in order to apply to medical school. if i fail the AP test, then i get to take easy calc and get A's.

on the other hand, if i pass calc, then i end up starting in multivariable calc. i might do worse there.

another question: does it look more impressive to med schools to take higher-level stuff, like multivariable calc and linear algebra, as opposed to the bare minimum of the least advanced calc (differential and integral)?
The entry calc classes (Calc I, II and III) are actually notoriously hard because they are full of premeds, similarly to how the entry organic chemistry sequence is much tougher than the later classes that only chemistry majors tend to take (like OChem III or Organometallics).

Most medical schools accept AP math to satisfy their requirement for a year of college math, by the way. You can take AP Calc I&II, get credit from your university for it, and never have to take any college math at the university.

Reactions: 1 users

In my limited experience, GPA is more important than rigor.

My MCAT score was competitive with top students, undergrad curriculum was substantially more rigorous, GPA slightly less competitive. Got very good but not top flight acceptances compared to some of my peers. There are probably other factors behind this, but that is one.

If you can manage rigor and GPA of course that is ideal.

But I wouldn't 'fail' your AP tests, that is a waste of time and money. Not all colleges will make you place out and take a more advanced math course.

The entry calc classes (Calc I, II and III) are actually notoriously hard because they are full of premeds, similarly to how the entry organic chemistry sequence is much tougher than the later classes that only chemistry majors tend to take (like OChem III or Organometallics).

Most medical schools accept AP math to satisfy their requirement for a year of college math, by the way. You can take AP Calc I&II, get credit from your university for it, and never have to take any college math at the university.

That's really interesting. Also, I'm not sure why I wrote AP World History. I am taking AP Calculus AB, AP Spanish, and AP Statistics.

If I think I can get a 5 on Spanish, a 4 on Stats, and a 4 on Calc BC. Will med schools know that I got a 4 vs 5? Also, let's say I totally bomb one and get a 1 or a 2. Would med schools see the 1 or 2?
Last question: If you were in my position (majoring in chemistry and POSSIBLY minoring in Spanish), what would you do? Get 4s and 5s on all of them, or just not take them (or fail) and then retake in college?

i'm just so confused. what do i do?
i'm more focused on getting into a top university lol, not really time/money (well, graduating in 4 years is important for me, in terms of time).
what would be the best option for me?

i'm just so confused. what do i do?
i'm more focused on getting into a top university lol, not really time/money (well, graduating in 4 years is important for me, in terms of time).
what would be the best option for me?

Focus on university and learning the material well. Med school is very far away.

Do you know where you are going yet? If you do, you need to look at specific policies at that university. Mine did not require you to take upper level courses if you had passed AP. Hence my friends taking entry level calculus, getting high As easily, while I struggled with very advanced maths.

Medical schools will not see how you did on your AP exams unless it were to somehow show up on your college transcript (and I highly doubt it would; at least mine didn't). Typically colleges will just give you a "pass" in classes that you got a 3, 4, or 5 on the AP test (if that college accepts AP credit for that particular course). If you were to fail an AP test, it wouldn't even show up on your college transcript, and medical school wouldn't even know you took that AP test.

*Disclaimer: I am some years removed from getting AP credits, I'm just stating how I remember things working for me.

That's really interesting. Also, I'm not sure why I wrote AP World History. I am taking AP Calculus AB, AP Spanish, and AP Statistics.

If I think I can get a 5 on Spanish, a 4 on Stats, and a 4 on Calc BC. Will med schools know that I got a 4 vs 5? Also, let's say I totally bomb one and get a 1 or a 2. Would med schools see the 1 or 2?
Last question: If you were in my position (majoring in chemistry and POSSIBLY minoring in Spanish), what would you do? Get 4s and 5s on all of them, or just not take them (or fail) and then retake in college?
Med schools will see only your college transcript, which will simply show credits for the class, not the AP score you used to earn those credits. You're better off getting the 4 or 5 so you can have credits for the classes. Whether you choose to take additional high level math classes is up to you. Med schools don't require it - I'm using my AP Calc and AP Stats credits.

i'm more focused on getting into a top university lol
Didn't you say you're already probably going to UCD or UCI?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to UCD or UCI for undergrad (assuming I get in). I meant that I'm thinking about how I'm going to get into a top medical school, sorry. For example, Hopkins med school, HMS, Yale med school, stanford med, etc

I know every medical school is different, but GENERALLY do medical schools require me to take calc and stats in college if I already have AP credits?

And what about top institutions like HMS Yale Hopkins Stanford, UCLA, etc. Do the best medical schools require (or even want) me to take multivariable calc if I have AP Credit for 1 year Calc and 1/2 year stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know every medical school is different, but GENERALLY do medical schools require me to take calc and stats in college if I already have AP credits?

And what about top institutions like HMS Yale Hopkins Stanford, UCLA, etc. Do the best medical schools require (or even want) me to take multivariable calc if I have AP Credit for 1 year Calc and 1/2 year stats?
You could go to their websites and look at what they accept/require.

but GENERALLY do medical schools require me to take calc and stats in college if I already have AP credits?
No. The only place I know of that refuses AP credits for maths is UCLA.

Note that maths is the exception. Almost all med schools require you to take bio/chem/physics as actual college classes. But calculus you're good to go with just AP.

So generally, math is the only course that I can completely avoid in college, assuming I get a 5 on AP Calc. Right?
But I think that I could just fail the AP test, take Calc I and Calc II, and use these 2 courses to boost my GPA. What do you think of this plan?

So generally, math is the only course that I can completely avoid in college, assuming I get a 5 on AP Calc. Right?
But I think that I could just fail the AP test, take Calc I and Calc II, and use these 2 courses to boost my GPA. What do you think of this plan?
You probably won't even need a 5, since I'm guessing UCI and UCD will accept 4s and maybe even 3s.

That's a hilariously bad plan.

Bad. Just ver a 5, skip calc and take more advanced classes. The more you skip the better, imo. If you go into college just thinking it like a game to play in order to get into one of the top 5 med schools then you will just short sell your education.

why's it a bad plan? alright, so i'm guessing that i should just study for calc, get the score needed to test out of Year 1 Calculus, and be done with calc?

and since i wanna apply to UCLA, i'd prob end up taking MultiVariable Calc I and II.

why's it a bad plan? alright, so i'm guessing that i should just study for calc, get the score needed to test out of Year 1 Calculus, and be done with calc?

and since i wanna apply to UCLA, i'd prob end up taking MultiVariable Calc I and II.
It's a dangerous plan because intro calc classes are usually weedouts. Higher level classes are not necessarily harder. They're usually easier in BCPM.

Up to you. I'm from SoCal myself and would have loved to apply to UCLA, but there are so many equally excellent schools that it wasn't worth the year of math to me.

If you really want take Calc I and II at some local State U the summer before you start college assuming the school you go to will accept that credit. That way you dont have any issues with AP credit and you dont have to face those horrendous weedout Calc classes(I didnt even go to a cutthroat grade deflated school for college and the median grade for my Calc I class was a C-/D+)

APs also only count if they are explicitly stated on your transcript. I placed out of Calc 1 with my AP and that was listed, but all my other AP scores were listed as AP General Elective credits (and I had over 40 AP gen credits!) -_- So after I graduated, I found out that my 2 AP English 5s + my 2 quarters of English did not count as a full year of English since my transcript did not differentiate between the AP English credits and AP General Elective credits.

Good point! The university needs to award you credits as if you had taken their calc course, not just general elective credits towards graduation.

I'm a senior in high school taking a few college classes and 3 AP classes.

I'm taking AP Calculus AB, AP World History, and AP Statistics. Previously, I took AP Chem (5), AP Chinese (5), AP US History (2), AP English (4), and AP Spanish (3).

Will medical schools see my AP scores? I got A's in the classes but not-so-amazing AP scores. Do I get a grade for AP? Please shed some light on how exactly AP plays a role.

I am so terribly confused on how AP credits even work. For instance, if I transfer AP English over to my university, do I get an "A" in English on my university transcript?

In terms of AP classes, ppl told me it's good to just fail AP classes and retake them in college to get easy A's. For one example, with AP Calculus AB, I will get A's in high school and I know I will need to take 1 year of calculus in college (prereq for med school). Can I fail the AP test and then take differential calc and integral calc (which I basically already know) in college (easy A). I wonder if they'd see that I failed the AP test.

I'm going to keep this simple. Med schools don't care what you did in high school, they just care about your accomplishes from your undergrad and so on. They will see that you met the course requirements by having AP credits but they don't care about your score. Why? They will be able to see your qualifications in science from your score on the MCAT.

Take a deep breath. Your only in high school. Get into college. Dominate your undergrad while obtaining a substantial amount of medical experiences (volunteering or EMT, etc.). Do exceptionally well on your MCAT and med school interview. And voilla! your med school and on your path to becoming a doctor. :)

Should be aware that most medical schools do not accept AP credits to satisfy requirements other than calculus.

Last edited:
From the MSAR
You looked up every medical school on MSAR and came to the conclusion that most of them don't accept AP credits? Because a majority of them do. It's only a few that do not. It's just that some medical schools accept AP credits to cover SOME science courses, not all.

You looked up every medical school on MSAR and came to the conclusion that most of them don't accept AP credits? Because a majority of them do. It's only a few that do not. It's just that some medical schools accept AP credits to cover SOME science courses, not all.
Outside of calc my impression was most do not accept AP for chem/bio/phys. I'm on mobile but happy to peruse it later.

Outside of calc my impression was most do not accept AP for chem/bio/phys. I'm on mobile but happy to peruse it later.
please do, I applied last year. Im talking from experience and from the list Columbia University posted onto their website. Most med schools accept AP credit for science/math courses. You just have to see which ones each med schools accept.

https://www.cc-seas.columbia.edu/sites/dsa/files/handbooks/MEDICAL SCHOOL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS_June_2015 V3.pdf

Just looked through the first couple dozen alphabetically and it still looks like a minority to me that take all the APs. Someone who took AP psych, stats, chem, bio, physics, and relied on them for med apps would be building their list from a very limited pool