Help a C/O 2020 Stanford student figure it out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wharton Health Management vs. Stanford Hum Bio + Econ

• Stanford Hum Bio + Econ

• Wharton Health Management

Results are only viewable after voting.

DaBosss23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have recently decided to study at Stanford (have not officially committed however) and I am essentially lost in terms of career decisions. I want to eventually be a Hospital CEO at a large, non-profit hospital, but I am unsure of how this can be accomplished. Would Stanford (Hum Bio + Econ) give me a leg up in hospital administration, or would Wharton's Health Management program do so? (I was admitted there too, money is not an issue at either location)

I also have a multitude of other questions:
1) Should I enter consulting straight out of undergrad? Or should I go directly into hospital administration?
2) What is pay like for a student straight out of a prestigious undergrad in hospital admin?
3) Are there any hospital CEOs/COOs/CFOs that can give me advice on how to reach the top?

I very much appreciate all the input. Please do not respond in an insulting manner, all useful advice is appreciated. Thanks very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hold it right there, big hoss. IMO, you shouldn't decide which school to attend based on your current career goal; you should decide where to go according to which will better prepare you for the general field you're interested in (e.g. healthcare, technology, business) since your plans will most likely change.

Wharton is a finance-oriented school and their undergraduate business program is known to be competitive. If you didn't do an advanced degree (probably an MBA in your case) afterward, Wharton would be a better choice than Stanford. If you went there, you could go into healthcare consulting (more likely) or hospital administration (less likely) out of undergrad and transition into middle management at a hospital. Then, you can try to move up the ladder for 10 years prior to applying :prof:

If you went to Stanford, you could get the same entry level jobs that you could have if you attended Wharton, but hospital administration and middle management roles will take longer/be harder to get. You should do an MBA or another advanced degree regardless of whether you attend Wharton or Stanford, IMO.

The wall street oasis forum is a better place for you since you don't even want to be a doctor (this is a forum for people that do), and the Wharton vs Stanford undergraduate question has been asked there many times before. Here's one from last week: http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/wharton-vs-top-ivies

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
why on earth would you want to become CEO of a hospital?

A CEO of a hospital has the potential to directly impact the healthcare system on the local level. Furthermore, I have the leadership and mathematical abilities needed in business, but I could not see myself as an investment banker.... What is wrong with hospital CEOs LOL

Reactions: 1 user
A CEO of a hospital has the potential to directly impact the healthcare system on the local level. Furthermore, I have the leadership and mathematical abilities needed in business, but I could not see myself as an investment banker.... What is wrong with hospital CEOs LOL

Sounds like you're a high school senior? If you're a business-oriented person, I'd choose ANY sector of the business world except healthcare. It's a huge mess, lots of government regulation, and will get much much worse by the time you're ready to become CEO.

good luck!

and p.s. go with Stanford.

Why don't you contact your local big named hospital and cold call the CEO? I think you have a 1/3 chance of talking to him/her. Repeat x3 to get some real advice. I suspect the most developed people on the message boards are resident physicians and maybe a new attending here or there. Certainly not too many rogues like you