Healthcare-related jobs/volunteer work overseas or in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chewy2008

MS-4
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any interesting opportunities in which to get some hands-on experience in working or volunteering in medically-related fields? For instance, the WHO or NIH, or some other reliable organization or source? What are the requirements to apply for it? And have you done work in this too?

I'm thinking of taking a gap year after I graduate this year from college. to do something interesting, like working/volunteering overseas for a year. So something for recent college graduates would be good. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Since you call it a gap year, you imply that you would be doing this during the application year. If this is true, consider how many times you'd have to travel back and forth to the US for interviews if you were located overseas. You might do better to stay in the US with a program like Americorps where you can get a domestic service position that is medically-related, but also have some flexibility to attend interviews (as well as a small stipend for living expenses).

If you plan to take more time off before applying, you could consider the Peace Corps, which I think is a 27 month obligation.

Thanks, Catalystik!
I guess I shouldn't call it a gap year then, since I'm only contemplating working for a year without the trouble of going back to the US for med school interviews. I've checked the websites of Americorps and Peace Corps, but they last for 2+ years. I'm looking for ones that are one year at most. :/