Health Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xClashx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a Canadian citizen studying in USA. I recently got my permanent residence, and now that school is starting, I need medical insurance. I previously had a really crappy one which essentially was just used to cover the schools requirements like medical evac and emergencies (as I get health care covered in Canada when I go back for breaks).

However, I am not eligible for that one and need a proper one. Where do I even start? My family will be moving to USA too in the next 2 months and they will get insurance. My understanding is that if I am below 26, I can be under my parent's insurance? But for the 2 months I am going to need my own.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools offer a medical plan, though they are not the cheapest option. You may find yourself on that plan for the first semester or year.

For school insurance plans you'll have to buy at least 6 months so I think you'll be wasting money doing that. What you can look for is short-term health insurance until your parents insurance officially covers you. Short term plans generally cost more, and have more limitations. You'll also need to get the minimum insurance your school requires i.e. cap. Once you are enrolled in classes you will be required to show proof of insurance, but until then you are safe. You can live life in the danger zone if you know coverage will begin before this is required.