Health Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KaapstadMK

No turning back now - Too much debt
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unsure exactly where to post this, but hey.

I recently aged out of my parents' health insurance plan. The state I'm in doesn't participate in the medicaid expansion plan and my school requires, but doesn't offer some kind of plan. So, as a childless student with an annual income of $0.00, all I'm eligible for are ~$100/mo short term plans or ~$350-$400/mo catastrophic coverage plans.

What resources are any of you aware of that could help?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently aged out of my parents' health insurance plan. The state I'm in doesn't participate in the medicaid expansion plan and my school requires, but doesn't offer some kind of plan. So, as a childless student with an annual income of $0.00, all I'm eligible for are ~$100/mo short term plans or ~$350-$400/mo catastrophic coverage plans.

I did the short term plans (renews every 6 months I think?) Until I somehow qualified for Missouri Medicaid... They didn't expand it here.

I was able to cancel the other insurance and meet the requirements of my school by having coverage, all while still never going to the doctor. Of note, I've got a wife who stays home and kids. That may have influenced my ability to get on Medicaid. Doesn't hurt to apply!

Reactions: 1 user
You'll want catastrophic coverage. I think anything more than that at this point in your life is unnecessary. I'm not sure what plans you can take advantage of... it's really state dependent.

Your school's cost of attendance calculations should have made the $300/400 option affordable