Health insurance in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fayevalentine

See you space cowboy.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please don't answer if you are covered by your parents or spouse. What are you single people doing for health insurance during dental school? Medicaid? Paying the full fee out of pocket per month?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please don't answer if you are covered by your parents or spouse. What are you single people doing for health insurance during dental school? Medicaid? Paying the full fee out of pocket per month?
Aetna insurance through school. They deduct from loan amount.

doing school insurance. some classmates on medicaid.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Approximately how much are the premiums for the school health insurance plans for you guys?

Approximately how much are the premiums for the school health insurance plans for you guys?
There are 2 options for us, the more expensive one is about $240ish a month and the other cheaper one is about $150ish and above. Idk the premium for sure b/c the school website is not working properly now. Will update once I can log in.

Reactions: 1 user
There are 2 options for us, the more expensive one is about $240ish a month and the other cheaper one is about $150ish and above. Idk the premium for sure b/c the school website is not working properly now. Will update once I can log in.

Since I worked and had an income last year, I was able to apply for subsidized health care through the marketplace. I pay around $55 a month, and the state covers about $150 a month.

Since I worked and had an income last year, I was able to apply for subsidized health care through the marketplace. I pay around $55 a month, and the state covers about $150 a month.
Nice! That's what I'm doing this year. What are your plans for next year when you have no income, or are you working while in school?

Pay an arm and a leg.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd get on medicaid if your state allows it. Texas doesn't allow it for single students.

I have an old BCBS PPO plan that cost me $120/month.