Health Assessment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamaicanHerb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does a person fail the health assessment before residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you fail it being fat, which I am.
I hope not, I have started going back to gym to get back to my glory days of fitness. Only thing that concerns me is running for those code blue ..I get short of breath

The assessment is to make sure you are physically capable of doing your job. Unless you are a resident in the military that is a very low bar. If you have a positive drug test or a mobility limitation you will have a problem. If you just have a high BMI, and your weight hasn't confined you to a wheelchair, you will be fine.

I've seen some BIG physicians. As long as you don't have active NYHA heart failure III symptoms (debilitating shores of breath with minimal exertion) I think you'd be fine... no one is asking you to run a marathon at work. But definitely show some hustle if you are going to a code or an emergency consult in the ED.

At my fellowship a positive urine drug screen results in an automatic rescind of your contract. Some places even tested for tobacco use when I was interviewing which would nullify your employment as well. But they were very, VERY clear and upfront about this during the interview so unless you totally had your head in the sand just be smart and you'll be fine.

Even if you were so obese that you required one of those "Walmart shopper scooters" to get around the hospital, we'd probably have to accommodate that. I can't imagine anything other than hyper-extreme obesity being a problem.

As mentioned, and since your username is JamaicanHerb, there are certain "Herbs" often used in "Jamaica" that would not be recommended. Even if you were using such herbs legally/medically, could be a problem.

If your medical condition prevents you from washing your hands (i.e. a severe dermatitis, or wound, or a wrist cast that covers your hand), that could be an issue.

Active TB is no bueno. Other chronic communicable diseases might be an issue, but most are very short lived so not an issue.

Psych issues -- only those severe enough to limit functioning in society. If you're actively hallucinating, that's a problem.

I guess if you were getting some chemo treatment that could be toxic to others, that would be an issue. But that seems unlikely.

Reactions: 1 user