HCA hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penicillinman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have recently been offered a position for a staff pharmacist at a Hca hospital. I currently work at a pretty reputable not for profit hospital but don't really see myself working here long term for various reasons and therefore am looking for other hospital positions. My concern is really limited to things I have heard indirectly about HCA hospitals. Does anyone have any experience working at one ? Good/bad experience ?
Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello

I have recently been offered a position for a staff pharmacist at a Hca hospital. I currently work at a pretty reputable not for profit hospital but don't really see myself working here long term for various reasons and therefore am looking for other hospital positions. My concern is really limited to things I have heard indirectly about HCA hospitals. Does anyone have any experience working at one ? Good/bad experience ?
Thanks !
I work for HCA in a mid size hospital. I can't generalize my experience across the board, but I'm very happy. I have worked for other hospitals and I've never seen the level of interest and autonomy within our profession than with what HCA provides. It's a company that truly works for the betterment of healthcare and their patients. There is always opportunity to advance your career within the company, which is a big perk. Plus, you can live pretty much anywhere. Again, I'm very happy with the company and I hope you will seriously consider them. Hope this helps.

I work for HCA in a mid size hospital. I can't generalize my experience across the board, but I'm very happy. I have worked for other hospitals and I've never seen the level of interest and autonomy within our profession than with what HCA provides. It's a company that truly works for the betterment of healthcare and their patients. There is always opportunity to advance your career within the company, which is a big perk. Plus, you can live pretty much anywhere. Again, I'm very happy with the company and I hope you will seriously consider them. Hope this helps.

Thank your for your response, i really appreciate it and its very helpful. I have noticed that the chain of Hca hospital that I have been offered a job at has a pretty high turn over rate which i guess is something that im a little worried about. Was it like that at your facility?

You can't always link high turnover to a specific company. I don't have a high rate where I work now, but I've worked for hospitals that have. Many times, it's the implementation of changes that brings about turnover. Other reasons could be change in management. It's difficult to say. You would have to try and investigate yourself. HCA is always handing down changes. Some people just don't like change and end up leaving.

Not sure if you took the job or not, but can you comment on the shift differential for HCA hospitals? Specifically evening and weekend differential. Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 87
I heard hca has staffing issues and is very money oriented and has high turnover.

Reactions: 1 user
Really! I think most physicians and nurses who work for HCA wouldn't agree with that statement...

Meditech computer system is very frustrating, even after you learn it the more inefficient it seems

I heard hca has staffing issues and is very money oriented and has high turnover.

I totally agree with your statement. High turnover was the main issue in the hospital I worked. There were 12 different directors of pharmacy the past 8 years at my hospital. The pharmacy department has one of the lowest budget and I could see DOP struggling to keep staff.
Most nonprofit hospital systems pay less but you'll be happier.

I totally agree with your statement. High turnover was the main issue in the hospital I worked. There were 12 different directors of pharmacy the past 8 years at my hospital. The pharmacy department has one of the lowest budget and I could see DOP struggling to keep staff.
Most nonprofit hospital systems pay less but you'll be happier.

How does a low budget affect turnover of staff? Other than inventory? Work conditions usually don’t affect the boss in mu experience.

How does a low budget affect turnover of staff? Other than inventory? Work conditions usually don’t affect the boss in mu experience.

High turn over was mainly affecting pharmacists at the central pharmacy due to corporate requiring the pharmacy to keep very low inventory thus. Also only 20% of our IV bags were premixed. You would spend a huge amount of time verifying prepared IV bags and of course, it increased risk of making mistakes for the IV tech. Our hospital got once a lawsuit because our IV tech injected a higher dose of oxytocin and it was not prevented by the pharmacist. Of course premixed oxytocin IV bag are available but HCA corporation wanted to save money before this tragedy.
Lots of DOP quit after less than a year because of the many issues at the hospital. The last DOP I worked with quit and went back to retail to be an assistant manager at Kroger.

Meditech computer system is very frustrating, even after you learn it the more inefficient it seems

I was offered a job at HCA but I am afraid to take it due to it using Meditech. Does meditech calculate IV rates for you like Epic does? I love Epic and that’s what I am currently using at my job.

I have never worked at HCA, but I know a few people that have - and none of them have ever said anything good about them. They have about half the staff per capita as we do. Squeeze benefits, etc.

Edit: just realized this was a necrothread

I have never worked at HCA, but I know a few people that have - and none of them have ever said anything good about them. They have about half the staff per capita as we do. Squeeze benefits, etc.

It's no problem! Thank you for the input! I have never worked for an HCA company and I really love the job I have now. Ive been for over 7 years and been on EPIC ever since. The only reason I considered the HCA job is because it's in a larger city with more things to do compared to where I am at in a small asssssssssssthma city with nothing to do. It comes down to loving my job but hate where I live since it is boring versus potentially hating my job but living in a bigger, more fun city.

This is a really huge life changing decision for me that I am still thinking about.