Army Hawaii ADT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ModifiedBass

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be performing an ADT externship at Hawaii this coming August. I was wondering if anyone had some information in regards to how the process worked. I have looked at some older threads about this, but I wanted to see if there was any new or more recent information.

My orders state that no government mess or lodging is available. Does this mean I just choose any hotel under the per diem rate and make a reservation? Should I do this as soon as possible? How/when do I go about getting this reimbursed? Similar question for meals, how/when is this reimbursed?

Should I be in contact with someone in regards to setting up a rotation schedule? As of now, all I know is to report to billeting upon arrival. I also do not know which location I will be at, TAMC or SBDC.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can provide any information.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be performing an ADT externship at Hawaii this coming August. I was wondering if anyone had some information in regards to how the process worked. I have looked at some older threads about this, but I wanted to see if there was any new or more recent information.

My orders state that no government mess or lodging is available. Does this mean I just choose any hotel under the per diem rate and make a reservation? Should I do this as soon as possible? How/when do I go about getting this reimbursed? Similar question for meals, how/when is this reimbursed?

Should I be in contact with someone in regards to setting up a rotation schedule? As of now, all I know is to report to billeting upon arrival. I also do not know which location I will be at, TAMC or SBDC.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can provide any information.
I will be in the same boat as you are doing ADT in Hawaii in August.
The order currently says I will be reimbursed for the travel, lodging, rental car upon submitting a completed voucher, which can't be done until the end of the order. Basically means the cost will need to be paid up front and will be paid back to me later.
You will have to call Carlson Wagonlit Travel (1-800-756-6111) in order to arrange your itinerary. They won't be able to help you unless you have your official order #.
Lodging needs to be addressed with the Integrated Lodging Program (ILP) and for Army installation, you need to call 1-877-711-8326. Most likely you will be told that the designated transient quarters is the Schofield Barracks Inn, depending on where you are reporting. If that location is unavailable, they will offer other locations that offer daily rates under or at the current per diem rate.
Cost for meals won't be reimbursed since it is technically included in our Active Duty salary during the summer.
The most important thing is making sure you get an official order which will be available in your MODS once it is approved. Typically, it won't be available until at least 30 days prior to the official order date.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Have fun guys! I did that some years ago. Make sure you check out the food truck in front of the px in Schofield. It's the best food in the island!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be in the same boat as you are doing ADT in Hawaii in August.
The order currently says I will be reimbursed for the travel, lodging, rental car upon submitting a completed voucher, which can't be done until the end of the order. Basically means the cost will need to be paid up front and will be paid back to me later.
You will have to call Carlson Wagonlit Travel (1-800-756-6111) in order to arrange your itinerary. They won't be able to help you unless you have your official order #.
Lodging needs to be addressed with the Integrated Lodging Program (ILP) and for Army installation, you need to call 1-877-711-8326. Most likely you will be told that the designated transient quarters is the Schofield Barracks Inn, depending on where you are reporting. If that location is unavailable, they will offer other locations that offer daily rates under or at the current per diem rate.
Cost for meals won't be reimbursed since it is technically included in our Active Duty salary during the summer.
The most important thing is making sure you get an official order which will be available in your MODS once it is approved. Typically, it won't be available until at least 30 days prior to the official order date.
Hope this helps.

Looking forward to the experience. I already have my orders and have made my flight and rental car reservations through Alexander Travel (formerly Carson Wagonlit). I understand this will all be reimbursed/paid for. My main question was on the lodging. Because my orders specifically state that GOVT QTRS are not available, I was wondering if that meant to book one of the local recommended hotels (ex. Hale Koa) from Ms. Koki at the per diem military rate (this is what I gathered from many of the older forums posted about this, as well as on the TAMC website). How did you hear about the ILP? That information was not provided on my orders.

Looking forward to the experience. I already have my orders and have made my flight and rental car reservations through Alexander Travel (formerly Carson Wagonlit). I understand this will all be reimbursed/paid for. My main question was on the lodging. Because my orders specifically state that GOVT QTRS are not available, I was wondering if that meant to book one of the local recommended hotels (ex. Hale Koa) from Ms. Koki at the per diem military rate (this is what I gathered from many of the older forums posted about this, as well as on the TAMC website). How did you hear about the ILP? That information was not provided on my orders.
If you go into the Request Tab --> ADT on MODS, there is a paragraph in red that says the following:
The Department of Defense has launched a new pilot program at identified military installations called the Integrated Lodging Program (ILP). The Joint Travel Regulations (JTR) (par. 1265) requires travelers (Service members and civilians) to use government (DoD) lodging, privatized lodging or DoD Preferred commercial lodging before other lodging options.

What does this mean to you? If you are travelling to a military installation to conduct training as part of your 45 day ADT order, you are required to contact the appropriate number below. You will need to know whether the installation that you are reporting to is Army, Navy or Air Force prior to making a call and making a reservation for lodging.

Army installation, call 1-877-711-8326
Air Force installation, call 1-888-235-6343
Navy installation, call 1-800-628-9466

These offices will either make a reservation for you at these designated hotels identified as part of the ILP, or they may inform you that they do not have any space available. In the case where space is not available, you will then be required to contact the phone number of the travel office on your orders, that number is 1-800-709-2190.

Failure to contact one of the 3 services above may result in a loss or reimbursement when you file your travel voucher, DFAS will only reimburse the approved ILP rate.

Google "gsa per diem." The govt will pay for up to that amount. So say if the lodging rate is $200 and the hotel is $250, you will have to pay $50 extra out of pocket. If it comes out to be $150, the govt will pay $150. Most hotels in Hawaii charge resort fees in addition to room and taxes. Parking your car will be another issue. If I were you, I would just stay at Hale Koa, because the price includes resort fees and taxes, to keep your finances simple. Parking is arguably the cheapest there as well. You will be getting meals and incidentals per diem around $90 a day (I believe), so if you choose to get a foot long sub and eat 6 inch lunch, dinner and skip breakfast, you will be making more than $80 a day when you settle the bills after TDY.

As stated - call ILP. There have been many who didn't and later regretted that ILP was offering rooms at $25.00-&50.00/night cheaper and they had to pay the difference out of pocket. $50.00 X 30 days = $1500.00 of your own dollars rather than Uncle Sam's.