have you ever done a peer to peer with someone who did one on you earlier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vistaril

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happened to me last week....from another psych 2000 miles away. You would think it would be awkward but we both had a good chuckle about it. ptp's seem to be much more streamlined these days....less discussion and more about a simple notification of coverage being stopped. I'm averaging less than 2-3 minutes per those I am paid to do now. Which really is the for the best since you usually have a day or two heads up anyways.

the most amusing part is seeing the note the day after you notify them of a review coming. After three straight days of "calm, cooperative, tolerating meds nicely, no prns for agitation required" suddenly the pt is terrorizing the unit lol. Whatever....

I have a 12 bed geri unit I cover in the morning before my work day starts now, and 11 of them are currently medicare/aid patients. Makes life easy for me in that regard....but bad for taxpayers :(

Members don't see this ad.

Four months laying low, no trolling... coming back with this post.

0mKXcg1.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Happened to me last week....from another psych 2000 miles away. You would think it would be awkward but we both had a good chuckle about it. ptp's seem to be much more streamlined these days....less discussion and more about a simple notification of coverage being stopped. I'm averaging less than 2-3 minutes per those I am paid to do now. Which really is the for the best since you usually have a day or two heads up anyways.

the most amusing part is seeing the note the day after you notify them of a review coming. After three straight days of "calm, cooperative, tolerating meds nicely, no prns for agitation required" suddenly the pt is terrorizing the unit lol. Whatever....

I have a 12 bed geri unit I cover in the morning before my work day starts now, and 11 of them are currently medicare/aid patients. Makes life easy for me in that regard....but bad for taxpayers :(
Hey Vistaril! Missed you, please post more. Now, what's a peer to peer? I'm a soon to be PGY-2, don't know these things yet.

Hey Vistaril! Missed you, please post more. Now, what's a peer to peer? I'm a soon to be PGY-2, don't know these things yet.

it's when another psychiatrist who is either not really working as a psychiatrist or is and just wants to pick up extra money without doing more pt stuff calls you representing the insurance company and essentially tells you what the last date of payment(to you and the hospital which involves a lot more dollars and is what they really care about) will be.

They don't exist in any real form for medicare/aid patients. Supposedly medicaid/care will occasionally do a review after the fact and can take money away from the hospital, but this rarely happens.

And believe me, in the real world everyone knows and is aware of this when you are admitting patients(sw's, hospital admin, providers, etc).

Yet another reason I'm bemused by all these "medicare for everyone on a national level would be so much more efficient" arguments. Medicare geri patients sometimes languish on a psych unit for 80 days(with what should have been a 7 day hospitalization...well to be honest what should have probably never been admitted in the first place but whatever). Not because the pt was too agitated or unstable the last 70+ days or met any semblance of criteria, but because the snf wouldn't take the patient back for some reason and it took that long to find another placement(in difficult to place cases). There is no way any third party payor should compensate for those 70+ days when the patient doesn't meet criteria, but medicare usually does......

Anyways, don't worry. You will learn it if you work inpatient outside of somewhere like the VA or a state hospital.