Have questions about University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nuk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have questions regarding University of Maryland (Baltimore).

- How is the area around dental school? Is it safe?
- What about housing options there?
- What is the clinical schedule like? (start at 8am or 9am? finish at 5M? or evening clinic?)
- Feel free to add extra info :)

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

- How is the area around dental school? Is it safe?

Baltimore by and large is a pretty crappy city. It really is. Yeah, you have some nice places such as Canton, Fell's Point, Harbor East, are really nice, but they are outnumbered by crappy areas. The school is situated downtown and is close to nice areas, but is even closer to crappier areas. With that being said, I have walked a few blocks after 11pm several times. Pepper spray may not be a bad idea.

- What about housing options there?

Lots of housing options. Fayette is nice but is expensive. Rigley's are townhomes and can be sketchy at night and are about $800/month per roommate if I remember correctly. I think they are 3 bedroom. They're a little shanty in my opinion. Zeneth is super nice. There is also Redwood, Centerpoint, and about a dozen others that I am forgetting. Baltimore is remarkably expensive considering what you get. It is hard to justify the cost to live around the area when you're paying as much as you would be paying.

- What is the clinical schedule like? (start at 8am or 9am? finish at 5M? or evening clinic?)

Clinics run from 8-12 and 1-4. Tuesday and Thursday have an added evening clinic time from 4-7. Class schedules for D1 and D2 year run from 9-12 and 1-4 with labs sprinkled in between. Mediasite will save your butt more times than you can begin to imagine.

- Feel free to add extra info :)

Just ask and hopefully I can give an answer.

I am a rising D3 at Maryland.

I have another question for you @wildzodiac

I've heard some really good things about Maryland program - in fact, I applied there in 2013. Does hold true? Other than COA and surrounding area, are there any large downsides? Anything specifically nice about the school?

(My friend is applying this cycle - 3.8 GPA & 22 AA on DAT)

-Fyz

Members don't see this ad :)
It's next to Ellicot City. Home of the best east asian food in Maryland!

Lots of research opportunities due to NIH Baltimore campus, hopkins and Maryland

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The University of Maryland School of Dentistry graduated it's first African American Valedictorian this year. Congrats Dr. Tera Poole! Good luck in ortho!

Reactions: 1 users
I have another question for you @wildzodiac

I've heard some really good things about Maryland program - in fact, I applied there in 2013. Does hold true? Other than COA and surrounding area, are there any large downsides? Anything specifically nice about the school?

(My friend is applying this cycle - 3.8 GPA & 22 AA on DAT)

-Fyz
So if you're out of state, it has been getting increasingly more difficult to get in state tuition from those that have decided to go that route. As with other schools, Maryland jacks up their tuition yearly. I feel that there are some instances where the school may spend money on certain things and do not emphasize a few things that need to be emphasized. They consistently shrink the amount of instructors while adding more students. There have been times where as a student, I feel as if a particular professor does not the interest of their predoctoral students in mind. There are a few instructors which make a lot of us sour. No, it is not because they are "hard," but rather, because they focus on things that have little relevance in the clinic. I feel like these instructors teach with standardized exams in mind and with actual clinical practice not being emphasized as much. Please know that this is in no way unique to Maryland and that many other schools have these issues. Dental schools in general all have their issues. Some more than others. Just know that you get out of it what you put into it.

With that being said, what is nice about the school is the vast majority of instructors. The vast majority look at you as colleagues, not students, and hold you to that level of responsibility. They are open to listen to your concerns and make you feel welcome at all times.

As for research, yeah, there are research opportunities I guess. Whether or not people actually want to pursue those opportunities is an entirely different question. Before D1s matriculate, they have the opportunity to complete a summer research position at the school. After this, it seems like very, very few students continue research once classes start. In college, it seemed like almost everyone and their mothers were doing some sort of research. Dental school is a different story and your priorities change in accordance to that.

Reactions: 4 users
The University of Maryland School of Dentistry graduated it's first African American Valedictorian this year. Congrats Dr. Tera Poole! Good luck in ortho!

Dr. Poole graduated in 2016, but is a great woman.

I am a D4. Please feel here to reach out.

To expand upin some of the answers

Ridgleys is much much cheaper at $500-650ish per month with roommates. There are apartments in the neighborhood, but most of the townhouses are privately owned and rented out to students. It is within walking distance of school and super popular with SOD and grad/prof students

Clinic offically is 9-12, 1-3:30, and 4:30-7 (TuTh). Only D4s are in clinic every session. D3s are there MWF and TuTh evenings only. They have labs, classes, etc on TuTh days. Classes and labs vary but 8/9-4 is a fair estimate. We do rotations and blocks so you do sometimes get to come in later, extra time during the day, or even a morning or afternoon completely off. Most people use it to: sleep, work out, study, or mindless errands.

Baltimore can be a ton of fun. It is rough around the edges, but as mentioned there are super cool places. It isn't NYC or a huge city, but Maryland as a state is a chill place to explore: skiing, beaches, DC, Annapolis, Philly, etc. all a drive away.

Reactions: 1 user
Since someone already started this...ill keep asking questions since I have an interview here in a few weeks.

1. You mentioned that its hard to get in state tuition from MD. I am actually from Maryland but have been attending a university outside of MD. According to their in-state policy it seems like you have to live there 12 months prior to starting school, which would exclude me from being considered IS. Has anyone else in your class had this problem as well? Is the school a bit flexible on that or not at all.
2. I have a family, so making sure we live in a safe area is SUPER important to me. Do you have any classmates with spouses/kids? how do they feel about the area? Where would be the "best" place to live that is somewhat reasonable in price?
3. What is your favorite part of being a student at Maryland?
4. How is you class culture like? is there a lot of working together/class unity or do you feel like you are always competing with your classmates?
5. How many people that want to specialize match into their programs?

Thanks so much guys!

Hi everyone. I am a foreign trained dentist and was wondering if anyone can help me with my questions. I do see an application for foreign trained dentist on the university web page but when I went there in person to ask about the AEGD, PEDO and the 2year DDS program, they told me that the university hasn't been accepting any foreign trained dentists in a long time. Is that true? Does that mean its simply a waste of money if I apply there?
Thanks in advance.