Hated third year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The people complaining about 3rd year usually haven't had to work in the real world, to hold down a job, to be screamed at by customers when you haven't put enough mustard on their sandwiches. The people in medical school literally have the power to change and challenge healthcare around them, and they complain because some head nurse hen chewed them out?

Sorry, no sympathy. Not an ounce. People knew what they were signing up for and considering how precious seats are, its ridiculous that people complain about medical school. Nobody wants to be around someone who complains anyway.

Its almost like complaining about being able to drive. For years people had to walk to places and risk literal life just to grab a pale of water. Now you have this machine that takes you speeds that were 200 years ago unimaginable, and you are complaining about having to drive in traffic? It boggles my mind.

Yea its ok to complain about traffic. Especially when roads and infrastructure aren't being managed appropriately to mitigate growing populations.

I guess we shouldn't complain about our house either, since our ancestors lived in caves. Or the lack of water fountains in our med schools, since our ancestors came from the desert.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea its ok to complain about traffic. Especially when roads and infrastructure aren't being managed appropriately to mitigate growing populations.

I guess we shouldn't complain about our house either, since our ancestors lived in caves. Or the lack of water fountains in our med schools, since our ancestors came from the desert.
Hey man, did you know polio, smallpox, and the plague have been eradicated? Our ancestors had to deal with that ish. So we really shouldn't complain about anything, because we're just lucky to be alive!

#firstworldproblems

Hey man, did you know polio, smallpox, and the plague have been eradicated? Our ancestors had to deal with that ish. So we really shouldn't complain about anything, because we're just lucky to be alive!

Members don't see this ad :)
You got into med school, so you have no reason to complain because many people would love to be in your position. That makes no sense if this the crux of your argument! I would like you 'GypsyHummus' to come back here to express the same sentiment after you got thru 3rd year of med school.

This stuff is a constant grind GH; you have a big cloud hanging over your head all the time because so much is at stake...

The equivalent would be a rich person complaining about how stressed they are. Well yah, thats why you are making the money, what did you expect?

You got into med school, so you have no reason to complain because many people would love to be in your position. That makes no sense if this the crux of your argument! I would like you 'GypsyHummus' to come back here to express the same sentiment after you got thru 3rd year of med school.

This stuff is a constant grind GH; you have a big cloud hanging over your head all the time because so much is at stake...

The equivalent would be a rich person complaining about how stressed they are. Well yah, thats why you are making the money, what did you expect?

That actually is a decent analogy, but really what you're saying is the type of stuff we have to say during pre Med. You'll probably bitch and whine all throughout wherever you get into school. Everybody does it. Doesn't mean we don't appreciate the opportunity. We all do. But it is stressful so it's only natural to bitch

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Completely agree with this thread... I worked my ass off at a low tier DO school to destroy the boards. Then I get to third year and realize how awful it is. Attendings don't want to teach, hospitals are always worried students will get them sued (won't let us do stuff), and no residents to judge where I stand in the sausage making. It's isolating and infuriating. I combat this to the best of my ability by being pro-active, asking the nurses to teach me procedures, ask attendings to put orders in/ type their notes (yes I ASK FOR SCUT WORK BECAUSE I COULD HAVE SHADOWED IN HIGH SCHOOL), scrub in even when people don't want me to (cause **** your evaluation right?), ask to help in every cool thing I see even though the hospital could come down on my ass for not being "hip to hip" with my doctor (yeah hip to hip with him/ her napping/ watching TV, typing notes, flirting, etc.)... Idk maybe I'm burn out, but I know it pains me so much to be forced to shadow (sheesh I feel useless/ stupid enough as is already). Oh and I study/ read for COMATs.

PS: please don't tell me I have a bad attitude. I'm just tired after working so hard for boards, then get hit with the exhausting process of being over the top pro-active/ labeled "gunner" because if I didn't I literally would shadow all day. Also this is a vent and I'm feeling better already.

Honestly I would recommend you shadow a pathologist. Whenever they send a specimen during surgery, ask if you can go. It's not a bad gig at all. They all seemed happy from what I can tell. I have been thinking about it since I've been in those shoes haha.

What? How is that even legal/safe/appropriate?

Surgical PAs, scrub nurses, and Med students close all the time without surgeon supervision. It’s not like they leave the hospital. If you have trouble, you just call them back in. Which never happens.

The people complaining about 3rd year usually haven't had to work in the real world, to hold down a job, to be screamed at by customers when you haven't put enough mustard on their sandwiches. The people in medical school literally have the power to change and challenge healthcare around them, and they complain because some head nurse hen chewed them out?

Sorry, no sympathy. Not an ounce. People knew what they were signing up for and considering how precious seats are, its ridiculous that people complain about medical school. Nobody wants to be around someone who complains anyway.

Its almost like complaining about being able to drive. For years people had to walk to places and risk literal life just to grab a pale of water. Now you have this machine that takes you speeds that were 200 years ago unimaginable, and you are complaining about having to drive in traffic? It boggles my mind.

Then don't be around me. Seriously, get your head out of your arse.

In 3rd year I was sick of douches and weasels shirking on wards, but knowing how to appear equally or more hardworking than me. I believe in meritocracy. But I take it all with a smile. Because I can see my goal. Judging from my interview season so far, no one can hide their personality forever. I know what I'm selling.