Has anyone used the new EK101 verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

https://www.examkrackers.com/Store/product_details.aspx?p=231

Has anyone used this new edition of the book and can tell if the passages are good to use?
I exhausted my old EK101 and TPRH verbal resources awhile ago. I also have BR verbal, NS verbal, and old verbal resources like the EK mini mcats (from 2002) and some old practice exams. However, I've found that most of these resources are not that great (compared to EK101 and TPRH, since those seem to be the gold standard, similar to the real thing).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm using that and the NS 108...and both are great in terms of passage difficulty and the explanations. There are some wtf passages that you would scratch your head afterward but its all worth it..lol. I stopped using the older ek 101...and have yet to use the TPRH...and will not use BR verbal. Btw, it's cheaper on Amazon!

I'm using that and the NS 108...and both are great in terms of passage difficulty and the explanations. There are some wtf passages that you would scratch your head afterward but its all worth it..lol. I stopped using the older ek 101...and have yet to use the TPRH...and will not use BR verbal. Btw, it's cheaper on Amazon!

I have NS108 as well, but I feel like the passages are so detail oriented. Do you think these are representative of AAMC passages?

I have NS108 as well, but I feel like the passages are so detail oriented. Do you think these are representative of AAMC passages?

I have yet to take one of the AAMC FLs. But these passages are as difficult as the cars q pack questions.

Do you think the tprh verbal (2011 edition, found a pdf copy online) still hold its value today? I try to switch between ek, ns and that...but hopefully tprh is worth it down the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have yet to take one of the AAMC FLs. But these passages are as difficult as the cars q pack questions.

Do you think the tprh verbal (2011 edition, found a pdf copy online) still hold its value today? I try to switch between ek, ns and that...but hopefully tprh is worth it down the road.

I liked TPRH and EK101. From what I've read everywhere, they seem to be the best resources to use

How do you like the TPRH? It is all new for the new exam, or just repacked from the previous version?

The one I am using is from 2012, so it was for the old exam. CARS hasn't changed much though. They may have a newer version of TPRH, but I'm not sure

I now have the new 2016 EK101 verbal, and I'm finding it to be pretty difficult. I've only done about 6 passages, but they have been pretty challenging in my opinion

I now have the new 2016 EK101 verbal, and I'm finding it to be pretty difficult. I've only done about 6 passages, but they have been pretty challenging in my opinion

Also working through the new EK book - The first test was very challenging (~45% right). The second test seemed reasonable (~60% right). Currently working through test 3.

Overall, there are a lot of challenging passages. Some of the questions are extremely convoluted, as are their explanations.

Reactions: 1 user
Also working through the new EK book - The first test was very challenging (~45% right). The second test seemed reasonable (~60% right). Currently working through test 3.

Overall, there are a lot of challenging passages. Some of the questions are extremely convoluted, as are their explanations.

There's is passage in test 2 that just blew my mind...I'll post later to which one...but I'm sure you guys will realize lol

Last edited:
So... only difference between old and new EK 101 verbal is difficulty?

I never used the old EK material, so it's hard for me to tell.

The new EK passages are pretty difficult. They also seem very detail orientated - less main idea type questions.

I haven't actually done a full test, but I've been doing 3 passages a day.
My results are really disappointing, and I'm about to stop using this book because every passage has been very difficult and convoluted.

On test 3, I got 45% of the questions correct
On test 2, I got 64% correct
On test 1, I got 50% correct

:(

I feel like it should be more moderate/easier passages with difficult ones sprinkled in (to simulate the real exam), but that doesn't seem to be the case

I haven't actually done a full test, but I've been doing 3 passages a day.
My results are really disappointing, and I'm about to stop using this book because every passage has been very difficult and convoluted.

On test 3, I got 45% of the questions correct
On test 2, I got 64% correct
On test 1, I got 50% correct

:(

I feel like it should be more moderate/easier passages with difficult ones sprinkled in (to simulate the real exam), but that doesn't seem to be the case

Struggle city

Test 1: 42%
Test 2: 60%
Test 3: 56%

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you guys used other prep materials? How have you done on those? I'm a little concerned about this, I would like to know how representative these passages and questions are of the real thing

Have you guys used other prep materials? How have you done on those? I'm a little concerned about this, I would like to know how representative these passages and questions are of the real thing

I'm getting about 60% right for NS 108 and 62% right for TPR Hyperlearning (old book)

Were the CARS passages longer on the real exam? Longer than Ek and NS? I just started the AAMC CARS Q-pack1, and getting killed left n right! :unsure:

I scored on 1/28 - I think the passages were a little longer, although not by much. AAMC FL #2 is the most demonstrative of this.

Yes. The new EK101 text questions are nothing like the MCAT. The questions are extremely detail orientated. The AAMC/MCAT questions are definitely broader in terms of "question scope". To answer these EK questions, you almost have to go back to get certain details or words down. I think the practice is worth it though. Plus - I have nothing else to lose with CARS, I need to try everything.

Hope that helps.

Yes. The new EK101 text questions are nothing like the MCAT. The questions are extremely detail orientated. The AAMC/MCAT questions are definitely broader in terms of "question scope". To answer these EK questions, you almost have to go back to get certain details or words down. I think the practice is worth it though. Plus - I have nothing else to lose with CARS, I need to try everything.

Hope that helps.

I was supposed to take my mcat in september and never did. I exhausted both the old EK101 and TPRH (which seem to generally be accepted as best practice around here). I'm just trying to find which sources are best to use. I also have next step 108, but I find that those questions are also pretty detail oriented

Crucified by the 4th exam
:wtf: :bang:

Personally, I don't think the new EK book is worth it. I'm not very good at CARS, and I am basically practicing everything in site until May 19th, but EK is nothing like the AAMC material. The answer choices are too convoluted/detail orientated. I feel that NS 108 is much better than this book (and cheaper).

Last edited:
Crucified by the 4th exam
:wtf: :bang:

Personally, I don't think the new EK book is worth it. I'm not very good at CARS, and I am basically practicing everything in site until May 19th, but EK is nothing like the AAMC material. The answer choices are too convoluted/detail orientated. I feel that NS 108 is much better than this book (and cheaper).

Yep, my 4th exam score was very low. I got like a 49%

I thought I was the only one. Any good alternatives? I feel like I may complete the book before my test date.

Trying to improve the quality of my CARS practice ... Do you guys recommend doing CARS passages separately or blocked together?

Trying to improve the quality of my CARS practice ... Do you guys recommend doing CARS passages separately or blocked together?

I've been following the testing solutions manual, which progressively increases the number of passages you do until you are doing like 6 at a time

JRE-Cart | Product Details

Has anyone used this new edition of the book and can tell if the passages are good to use?
I exhausted my old EK101 and TPRH verbal resources awhile ago. I also have BR verbal, NS verbal, and old verbal resources like the EK mini mcats (from 2002) and some old practice exams. However, I've found that most of these resources are not
that great (compared to EK101 and TPRH, since those seem to be the gold standard, similar to the real thing).

I looked at both this new book and the NS 108 book. EK passages looked a little shorter than NS, and closer to the length of the AAMC passages (500-600 words). The NS book had slightly better explanations. The EK passages seemed tougher/more abstract, and the NS questions seemed tougher. You get more passages for less money with NS. To me it was a wash passage/Q quality wise, so it came down to value for me.

If $ is no issue, and you need lots of CARS practice, get both. I went NS for the reasons above.

@DexterMorganSK @acetylmandarin
You guys still doing these passages? Interested to see what people are getting. Trying to get an idea where I am at.

My exam is on 5/19, so I moved onto AAMC stuff. But, once they run out, I will probably return NS cars (if time permits). I'll post the avg then!

@CJhooper123

I'm still doing these. I hope the actual mcat passages are not this difficult. Although I believe that my scores are improving, I still find the majority of these passages difficult to read. They require so much focus...

But like you said earlier, these are more detail oriented than the actual AAMC ones, so that makes me happy

On test 5: 57%
On test 6: 60%
On Test 7: 60%
On test 8, I got 60%

So I feel good about some passages because I do pretty well (1 or 2 wrong), but then there are passages where I just completely flop and miss the majority of the questions.

@CJhooper123

I'm still doing these. I hope the actual mcat passages are not this difficult. Although I believe that my scores are improving, I still find the majority of these passages difficult to read. They require so much focus...

But like you said earlier, these are more detail oriented than the actual AAMC ones, so that makes me happy

On test 5: 57%
On test 6: 60%
On Test 7: 60%
On test 8, I got 60%

So I feel good about some passages because I do pretty well (1 or 2 wrong), but then there are passages where I just completely flop and miss the majority of the questions.

Other than test 7, my results are somewhat similar. I think I'm starting to see some improvement. Trying to do 4-5 passages daily and read dense material ~60/70 minutes per day. Also working through NS 108. As demoralizing it is to get 2/7, 2/6 on an EK passage, I think they are helping me really read literally and stay focused the entire passage.

On test 5: 60%
On test 6: 62%
On Test 7: 52%
On test 8: 60%

Cheers.

Other than test 7, my results are somewhat similar. I think I'm starting to see some improvement. Trying to do 4-5 passages daily and read dense material ~60/70 minutes per day. Also working through NS 108. As demoralizing it is to get 2/7, 2/6 on an EK passage, I think they are helping me really read literally and stay focused the entire passage.

On test 5: 60%
On test 6: 62%
On Test 7: 52%
On test 8: 60%

Cheers.

I'm working with NS 108 as well. I agree with you about the dense reading for EK being good practice

Just finished this thing - took the final 3 tests under timed/test conditions. Scored ~51% for all 3. For all the questions in the book, I also scored ~51%.

The passages in this text are representative of the real MCAT. The questions and their answers couldn't be further off. Finishing the text has definitely been helpful though - I scored a 126 CARS (which is big time for me) on NS 6 w/ 505 overall.

Just finished this thing - took the final 3 tests under timed/test conditions. Scored ~51% for all 3. For all the questions in the book, I also scored ~51%.

The passages in this text are representative of the real MCAT. The questions and their answers couldn't be further off. Finishing the text has definitely been helpful though - I scored a 126 CARS (which is big time for me) on NS 6 w/ 505 overall.

Nice! Good to hear this...I never actually took a full test out of the book, so my scores were probably skewed, but I think my scores were similar to yours