Has anyone switched specialties before?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lost777

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
While in residency?

Is the process the same? (applying through ERAS in august/september)?

I'm an intern and not sure if im just dealing with the "intern blues" or if I should have pursued what ended up being my 2nd specialty choice. But, im worried that i dont have time to figure it out as the match process/interviews will start up again shortly. Do I need to start gearing up for interviews, working on ERAS etc, in the mean time in case im not just in a slump?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

By intern, do you mean still in your first month? I'd give it a little more time honestly. No one likes the beginning of intern year.

It's also probably too early to tell what kind of person your PD is, whether they'd support you and help you find a program, even in the same system, or whether they'd get in your way.

That said, yes, it is possible to do. You pretty much can't do it without a PD letter, as most programs will want that. In other words you'd have to talk to your PD, which I absolutely would NOT do unless you are sure you don't want to continue in your program.

Next, its usually the case that its easier to go down the competitiveness spectrum than up it. In other words, you could go from Rads to FM, but it will be much harder to go from FM to Rads. I have heard of people doing though, but I've also heard of people trying for years to do it without success.

Its early. Give it a little time. That may mean spending an extra year in training, but in the grand scheme of things, that's probably not a huge deal.

You might get better advise if you list what specialty you're in, what your 2nd choice was and whether you're in an AOA or ACGME program.

By intern, do you mean still in your first month? I'd give it a little more time honestly. No one likes the beginning of intern year.

It's also probably too early to tell what kind of person your PD is, whether they'd support you and help you find a program, even in the same system, or whether they'd get in your way.

That said, yes, it is possible to do. You pretty much can't do it without a PD letter, as most programs will want that. In other words you'd have to talk to your PD, which I absolutely would NOT do unless you are sure you don't want to continue in your program.

Next, its usually the case that its easier to go down the competitiveness spectrum than up it. In other words, you could go from Rads to FM, but it will be much harder to go from FM to Rads. I have heard of people doing though, but I've also heard of people trying for years to do it without success.

Its early. Give it a little time. That may mean spending an extra year in training, but in the grand scheme of things, that's probably not a huge deal.

You might get better advise if you list what specialty you're in, what your 2nd choice was and whether you're in an AOA or ACGME program.

Thank you for the reply

I'm at a small, AOA residency with no other residencies in other specialties.

My PD seems unapproachable, stern. Im worried they may be upset if I approach them. But maybe the stern vibe is just there to keep everyone in line... but maybe a personal conversation of this nature will get a more supportive response. I dont know.

I know its early, but is it possible to switch this early? Or no matter what the earliest i could start is July 1 2018 at another program, assuming i get in?

Last edited:
If you matched in the match, then you need to stay a certain minimum. I know for the NRMP its 45 days. After that you could potentially leave, but honestly I recommend against leaving before you finish one year of GME. that's the minimum you need to get licensed in some states (others require a full residency).

If you're at an AOA program without a psych program in house, I definitely wouldn't talk to the PD yet. Not until you're basically ok with leaving the program whether or not you have a psych spot lined up.

Honestly, I think all the AOA psych programs were filled pretty quickly after the match. I think you have very little if any chance of finding a psych program off-cycle to start before July 2018, but you can ask around.

If I were you, I'd start really thinking about what you want long-term. Give it a few more months. Feel free to prepare your app just in case you're going to apply again this cycle. I've heard of people getting AOA spots without a PD letter, but it is very rare. On ERAS you'll have to indicate your current training program, and they might even contact the PD.

Its a big decision and it can have a huge impact on your career. I'd think it through really carefully.

Reactions: 1 user