Has anyone studied for the MCAT in 3 months?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oheymel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm on summer break right now, and I plan to take my MCAT for the first time within the first week of September. I was wondering if any of you have studied for the MCAT in 3 months and still managed to get a good score. I know there are plenty of posts here that talk about 3 month plans, but they were old posts for the old MCAT. I've also seen posts of people taking up to 4 months or more to study for the new MCAT, so I'm also wondering if 3 months is too short since there is more material for the new MCAT. I just need some direction on how to go about this big exam. I have taken all the pre-requisite classes, and I will be graduating in the Fall. Would you guys mind sharing any strategies or tips for a 3 month schedule or maybe share your schedule if you have it? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I took 1.5-2 months and did decent. If I would have had another month I probably could have gotten my score up 5+ more points based on how the time I had went though.

Depends on how much you remember coming in and how much time you have to dedicate to it while you study.

In a perfect world, I would have had all summer to study and wouldn't be trying to simultaneously apply to medical schools. I would have taken an entire summer to study, and taken the actual exam in late August, just before my fall classes were going to start.

Last edited:
Are you taking classes this summer? Working? Volunteering? I'd estimate that as long as your other commitments don't total more than 25-30 hours/week, you'll be more than fine.

I took 1.5-2 months and did decent. If I would have had another month I probably could have gotten my score up 5+ more points based on how the time I had went though.

Depends on how much you remember coming in and how much time you have to dedicate to it while you study.

In a perfect world, I would have had all summer to study and wouldn't be trying to simultaneously apply to medical schools. I would have taken an entire summer to study, and taken the actual exam in late August, just before my fall classes were going to start.

I guess I should at least try and see how the studying goes then. Hopefully, I still remember a lot.

Are you taking classes this summer? Working? Volunteering? I'd estimate that as long as your other commitments don't total more than 25-30 hours/week, you'll be more than fine.

Fortunately, I'm not taking summer classes this time. I'm mostly just volunteering and shadowing.

Judging by what's been said so far, I should be able to do it. Do you guys have any tips or strategies to go about studying? Some people I knew bought both EK and Kaplan sets to study. Would you guys recommend buying more than one set from different companies? How many hours a day should I put into studying for 3 months?

Sorry for the questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't use any books, so I can't answer that part. My main tip is to always study with the AAMC's "What's on the exam?" webpages open. That way you can make sure you cover everything you need to without spending time learning things that may be in the books, but aren't covered on the actual MCAT.

Currently using both EK and Kaplan book sets, along with TPR's P/S book. Additionally, I am using MCATjelly's study schedule. Personally, I don't think you need to buy the Kaplan set, except maybe the biochem book because a friend of mine said the EK biochem book wasn't comprehensive enough for his 4/22 MCAT.
I tried to study for the MCAT last semester while finishing classes, but it was rather pointless as I would get burnt out from classes and ECs. IMO, 3 months is the perfect amount of time to study for the MCAT because it is enough time for content review along with practice passages and FLs. Currently studying for the 7/21 MCAT.

I've been studying for 3.5 months and will be taking the exam in a couple days (5/18). Originally planned a 3 month schedule for the 4/28 exam, but seats were filled. 520+ on both AAMC practice exams, feeling confident going in!

My study schedule borrowed a lot from the 12-week EK/NS plan, and mcatdoggo's ~14 week plan. However, I looked through a handful of study schedules before building something that might work best for me. For instance, I thought the MCATjelly plan was overkill and cost too much. It takes quite some time to plan out, set aside a couple days just making a schedule. I used mostly Kaplan and Khan for content. My plan was still on the intense side (at least for content review) since I didn't have much else going on and because it had been years since I'd taken the classes, though I've been consistently involved with research. If the content is still fresh in your head, things might be quicker for you! I also included a day each month where I'd evaluate my studying progress and adjust my schedule if needed.

Message me if you'd like my schedule.

Last edited:
I studied mid June until my test Sept 11, so around 3 months. I used EK books and the PR psych book, mainly since it came with 3 free practice tests and I never took a psych course so having both PR and EK for psych was useful. I studied while working a research internship (May-August) where I wrote a paper that got published, so I was definitely busy but it was a lot of reading not school work I guess so it wasn't overload.

I took it in 2015 so there was only one AAMC unscored FL that told you % correct I think. I also used the question packs, and took the 3 PR tests. I never actually took a FL in one sitting, I did 1-2 full sections at a time. I also did those short EK tests after every section a few days after I read it too see how I remembered stuff. I took biochem the semester before I studied so I didn't have to hardcore study for that since I knew it well, but I ended up with 515 (128/128/131/128). I was one of the people who only studied 3-5hrs maybe 5 days a week if that, 8hrs a day 7 days a week seemed like overkill and you can burn out doing that.

Thanks for all the pointers guys! Hopefully I can get through this like you all. Good luck to everyone who are waiting on scores or about to take their MCAT :)

I've been studying for 3.5 months and will be taking the exam in a couple days (5/18). Originally planned a 3 month schedule for the 4/28 exam, but seats were filled. 520+ on both AAMC practice exams, feeling confident going in!

My study schedule borrowed a lot from the 12-week EK/NS plan, and mcatdoggo's ~14 week plan. However, I looked through a handful of study schedules before building something that might work best for me. For instance, I thought the MCATjelly plan was overkill and cost too much. It takes quite some time to plan out, set aside a couple days just making a schedule. I used mostly Kaplan and Khan for content. My plan was still on the intense side (at least for content review) since I didn't have much else going on and because it had been years since I'd taken the classes, though I've been consistently involved with research. If the content is still fresh in your head, things might be quicker for you! I also included a day each month where I'd evaluate my studying progress and adjust my schedule if needed.

How was the exam?

Hi, could you message me your schedule. I am trying to come up with a study plan and am planning on taking the exam in 3 months!

I took the MCAT last May and studied for 4 months, however, I was in school, working, doing research, and volunteering at the same time. I ended up with a 515 (129/129/127/130). I used Kaplan study materials and also watched the CourseSaver MCAT videos which were very helpful for content review.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the MCAT last May and studied for 4 months, however, I was in school, working, doing research, and volunteering at the same time. I ended up with a 515 (129/129/127/130). I used Kaplan study materials and also watched the CourseSaver MCAT videos which were very helpful for content review.
Great score along with busy schedule!!

Reactions: 1 user
I studied for about 2 months, but they were not consecutive. I studied all of my winter break (1 month) for about 10-12 hours/day and took the MCAT. I got a 511 (128,128, 128,127). Took a break for a month waiting to get back my scores after that. I then ended up studying for one more month, 20 hours/week (had classes and lab), retook them, and got a 522 (132, 128, 132, 130). During the first month, I read through all the Kaplan review books. During the second month, I read TPR review material. With three months, you should have more than enough time. Just make sure you don't burn out (that's what happened to me before my first exam). Take it easy, make sure to give yourself breaks, all that good stuff. I was taking a practice exam every other day for about a week before my first exam, and that definitely caused me to burn out. I wouldn't recommend taking more than one practice exam the week before your exam, and maybe two/week leading up to then. Just make sure you stay focused the entire time. 3 months is a long time, and I'm the type of person who's prone to lose focus if something isn't very soon

Message me your exam please! Thank you!

Hello Everyone!

I'm on summer break right now, and I plan to take my MCAT for the first time within the first week of September. I was wondering if any of you have studied for the MCAT in 3 months and still managed to get a good score. I know there are plenty of posts here that talk about 3 month plans, but they were old posts for the old MCAT. I've also seen posts of people taking up to 4 months or more to study for the new MCAT, so I'm also wondering if 3 months is too short since there is more material for the new MCAT. I just need some direction on how to go about this big exam. I have taken all the pre-requisite classes, and I will be graduating in the Fall. Would you guys mind sharing any strategies or tips for a 3 month schedule or maybe share your schedule if you have it? Thank you!
I took 3.5 months to study, but 2.5 months were during school and I raised my score from a 501 on the first AAMC FL before I started studying to a 514 on the real test.

Hey man, I was wondering if I could get your schedule. I am studying for the MCAT and using TPR books and will be taking my exam on May. Thanks.

3 months is more than enough if you have solid preparation. If you don't have solid preparation, you're going to need more time to get that solid foundation.

Pasting my schedule/advice here so people stop messaging me. I'm no longer pursuing an MD, so my time on these forums is probably coming to an end.

Unfortunately I scored much lower than I was shooting for after averaging 521 on the AAMC exams, ended up with a 516 (130/126/130/130). I got a bit unlucky, AAMC exams are usually predictive. However, I did find the real thing a bit harder (the C/P was absolutely ridiculous) and I think I just choked.

"Dropbox - 2017 MCAT study schedule.xlsx

I also recommend checking out mcatdoggo's schedule. I based a lot off of his/hers.

Things to keep in mind with my schedule:

- Only planned to make notecards when I realized I couldn't sign up for the 4/28 exam and suddenly had ~2.5 extra weeks to study. I took the old MCAT in 2014 and scored a 35 without making a single notecard. This time I made almost 600 notecards, definitely overkill, but I can't deny that it helped. I'd say the process of making the notecards (putting content into my own words) and doing problems on the content was way more valuable than actually using the notecards for memorization. Understanding >>>> memorization for the MCAT.

- Content review structure: 3 weeks reading, 1-2 weeks making notecards and reviewing, 3 more weeks reading, 1 final week making notecards. I'd say I used 85% Kaplan, 15% Khan, but there was also overlap. I watched Khan vids more when I was making notecards.

- For the first 3 weeks, content reading took me 5-6 days rather than 4 days as shown in the schedule. Nevertheless, I made sure I went through ~12 chapters total each week. I'd do end-of-chapter questions at the end of each week rather than immediately after finishing each chapter. Also, I had read chem 1 and physics 1 beforehand which is why they aren't on the schedule.

- Another thing not apparent on my schedule is my CARS practice. In the few weeks I was doing Khan passages every day, except practice exam days. 3-4 passages.

- I was able to get my hands on the EK .pdf's, which I used only for the quizzes (week 10). I think I should have spaced out the quizzes a bit, that week was pretty intense. The only thing I purchased for content review was the kaplan books, which came with 3 tests (only took 2). The rest of my budget was spent on practice problems and exams.

- Remember to adjust your schedule as you see fit. If you ever realize that something in your schedule isn't realistic, change up the entire schedule to see how you can still stay on time with the weekly goals. For example, my pace slowed down just for weeks 4-5 because I had gotten accepted to a Masters program and was celebrating. It was originally planned to be just 1 week, so I had to rearrange all of my daily plans to see how to maintain deadlines. I also had designated days for planning where I made major changes. I saw what was working for me, evaluated my progress, and adapted. That being said, try to keep to your schedule as best as you can and avoid getting behind. Plan out "buffer" days where you can catch up on anything you missed, but always be on schedule week by week.

- If I could change something, it would probably be to have started practice questions a few weeks earlier and then made notecards after seeing which types of questions I was getting incorrect. This is speculation though, not sure if this would actually have been better. For instance, maybe I wasn't getting as many questions wrong because I was thorough with my content review. Gotta do a bit of gambling when you make your own schedule.

Best of luck!"