Harvard MPH 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samnicholson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd start this thread since acceptances are rolling in. I'm going to attend the 45-credit epidemiology program. I'm primarily interested in mental health and substance abuse, and I'd like to have a research career. I'm really curious to hear about other people's interests, goals, concerns, etc. My only concern is the cost. Other than that I'm super psyched.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm between JHU and HSPH focusing on biostats (quantitative methods as its called at Chan), but am leaning towards HSPH and am going to try and make my final decision by the end of the weekend. As you said, super psyched.

Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard. Name recognition, connections, job prospects, etc. However, I don't know your full circumstances so carefully assess the pros/cons of each institution while simultaneously explore your interests. All the best.

I'm in Global Health. And Columbia includes a 6 month practicum compared with a summer one. Other consideration is i don't pay rent in nyc and everyone I know is here. Basically the choice is if harvard is that much better that its worth giving my whole life in nyc up

I'm in Global Health. And Columbia includes a 6 month practicum compared with a summer one. Other consideration is i don't pay rent in nyc and everyone I know is here. Basically the choice is if harvard is that much better that its worth giving my whole life in nyc up
prob not. in the long run if you're good at what you do, then you'll naturally excel regardless where you grad from. I slightly favor harvard b/c global health requires a lot of networking and intuitively I'd imagine Harvard offers that advantage. That being said, Columbia is also a prestigious institution, so I don't really see that big of a difference. In addition to other advantages you mentioned by staying in nyc. Tough choice!

What was your impression of each institution during your interview?

I can appreciate the difficulty of your situation. I don't think the difference in practicum time is significant, so I wouldn't use that in the decision making process. The rent is obviously a big deal because living in Boston isn't cheap, but the added expense probably won't impact you much in the long run. I would lean heavily toward Harvard based on prestige and access to resources. You'll make tons of friends in the program, so it's not like you'll be all alone, and New York isn't that far away. I used to take Amtrak and the Chinatown bus to Manhattan all the time. But if you're heart is set on staying in New York, and you think you'll be unhappy in Boston, you really can't go wrong with Columbia.

I'm an MD from a developing country and was accepted to the 45-credit program in Quantitative Methods on 2/13. Has anybody received information on scholarships/financial aid yet?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an MD from a developing country and was accepted to the 45-credit program in Quantitative Methods on 2/13. Has anybody received information on scholarships/financial aid yet?
Haven't heard anything yet. Patiently awaiting though, and will post again if I catch an update.

I emailed the OFA and they told me they plan to send financial aid offer by March 20th and to monitor my e-mail as well as the message and document tabs on MyFinAid for any additional information that may be required.

Considering the MPH in Global Health (65-credit). Currently, in between that and the MSPH in International Health (Health Systems) at Hopkins. Anyone have any thoughts? Would be much appreciated!

Have people leaning towards HSPH started doing research on housing/living? I perused through Craigslist earlier today and started stressin'

I saw that a lot of people live in the international house, shattuck! I' d love to live there with other students but not sure how common it is.
Also, do you know how many merit scholarships are given? Columbia hasn't given me anything or even responded to emails I've sent.

Considering the MPH in Global Health (65-credit). Currently, in between that and the MSPH in International Health (Health Systems) at Hopkins. Anyone have any thoughts? Would be much appreciated!

Have people leaning towards HSPH started doing research on housing/living? I perused through Craigslist earlier today and started stressin'

I started looking as well. Its expensive, but such is life I'm trying not to get stressed. My main debate is between living in Longwood or Cambridge and commuting, as I believe a fair number of students do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started looking as well. Its expensive, but such is life I'm trying not to get stressed. My main debate is between living in Longwood or Cambridge and commuting, as I believe a fair number of students do that.

Living in Brookline would be really nice. Brighton is a cheaper option, but I find it very unappealing. The cost is starting to freak me out as I get closer to having to pay tuition.

It looks like they're in the process of sending this info out now. I received an email from financial aid today and I got a full tuition scholarship! Hopefully you all get some good news soon as well :)

It looks like they're in the process of sending this info out now. I received an email from financial aid today and I got a full tuition scholarship! Hopefully you all get some good news soon as well :)

damn! that's amazing, congrats. haven't heard anything here yet.

Living in Brookline would be really nice. Brighton is a cheaper option, but I find it very unappealing. The cost is starting to freak me out as I get closer to having to pay tuition.

Brighton isn't bad, especially if you end up down by Cleveland Circle. I used to live at Comm Ave and Chestnut Hill. It would be a great commute on the D line, you've got the reservoir right there, some decent food options, etc. Lower Allston (aka the part of Allston north of the pike) is where I am now and will probably stay. It's not super close to Longwood, but there's a bus stop for the 66 right around the corner and that will take me directly to Chan. Brookline is definitely nice, pricey, but you can get good value if you move in with roommates. Jamaica Plain is worth looking at. A cheaper but kinda reasonable option would be Chelsea, which would probably be a ~45 min commute to Chan.

As a general rule I'd avoid Mission Hill & Fenway, the prices you'll pay there are ridiculous for how crummy the apartments are -- blame the close proximity to approximately 1000 different colleges.

This is a resource worth looking at as people look for places to live Longwood Shuttles & MBTA | HMS

On the Harvard website, it says that some programs may require interviews. I was just wondering if anyone knew what programs they are? I'm specifically interested in the Online-On Campus Epi program and the 1 year 45 credit MPH in health management or quantitative methods. Thank you.

Will anyone be at Admit Day on Friday?

On the Harvard website, it says that some programs may require interviews. I was just wondering if anyone knew what programs they are? I'm specifically interested in the Online-On Campus Epi program and the 1 year 45 credit MPH in health management or quantitative methods. Thank you.

The hybrid epi program does not require an interview. Not sure about health management or quantitative methods, but I doubt it.

My biggest hesitancy about saying "yes" to Harvard is their commitment to/investment in community-based practice. I get the sense that it is a very research oriented program catering to future MDs and PhDs and that the opportunities to gain direct practice experience (outside of the practicum) and participate in community engagement are slim. I worry I wouldn't get the training I want/need in the short 1.5 years I'm there. Do people have thoughts about this? Are there others interested in a practice-focused career that feel Harvard offers these opportunities more abundantly than it seems?

My biggest hesitancy about saying "yes" to Harvard is their commitment to/investment in community-based practice. I get the sense that it is a very research oriented program catering to future MDs and PhDs and that the opportunities to gain direct practice experience (outside of the practicum) and participate in community engagement are slim. I worry I wouldn't get the training I want/need in the short 1.5 years I'm there. Do people have thoughts about this? Are there others interested in a practice-focused career that feel Harvard offers these opportunities more abundantly than it seems?

It's hard for me to imagine how Harvard wouldn't prepare you to practice public health. Much of the practice of public health consists of research. You form a hypothesis, collect data, and analyze the data. I was drawn to the Harvard Epi program because it's very quantitative. If you look at the curriculum, a lot of the coursework is practical, and the practicum forces you to apply your skills to a real-world problem. In order to complete my practicum project, I'll have to go into the community, collect data, and analyze it. I don't really know how to do that, but I'm confident the program will give me the skills I need.

It's hard for me to imagine how Harvard wouldn't prepare you to practice public health. Much of the practice of public health consists of research. You form a hypothesis, collect data, and analyze the data. I was drawn to the Harvard Epi program because it's very quantitative. If you look at the curriculum, a lot of the coursework is practical, and the practicum forces you to apply your skills to a real-world problem. In order to complete my practicum project, I'll have to go into the community, collect data, and analyze it. I don't really know how to do that, but I'm confident the program will give me the skills I need.

It sounds like Harvard will be an excellent fit for you! I notice in a previous post you mention that you'd like a career in research. I suppose one can cast research as a type of public health practice, but community-oriented types of research (i.e. CBPR) is not what I mean when I refer to community-based practice. I mean the delivery of direct public health services and resources to communities. So, implementation of public programs and services, advocacy at the local and national level, evaluation of interventions, quality improvement, campaign management, etc. All of these things are, of course, are driven by the engine of research with helps us to identify best practices and to demonstrate successes or failures, in line with the research-to-action model. There is a whole world of work in public health that is not in research, and I wonder if Harvard is as able to equip individuals who want to work in that other world as they are able to equip researchers. My hunch is that at Harvard you can more or less do anything, if you put your mind to it, to perhaps it's just a matter of digging deeper into the curriculum to seek out the training and topics I presently feel are lacking.

It sounds like Harvard will be an excellent fit for you! I notice in a previous post you mention that you'd like a career in research. I suppose one can cast research as a type of public health practice, but community-oriented types of research (i.e. CBPR) is not what I mean when I refer to community-based practice. I mean the delivery of direct public health services and resources to communities. So, implementation of public programs and services, advocacy at the local and national level, evaluation of interventions, quality improvement, campaign management, etc. All of these things are, of course, are driven by the engine of research with helps us to identify best practices and to demonstrate successes or failures, in line with the research-to-action model. There is a whole world of work in public health that is not in research, and I wonder if Harvard is as able to equip individuals who want to work in that other world as they are able to equip researchers. My hunch is that at Harvard you can more or less do anything, if you put your mind to it, to perhaps it's just a matter of digging deeper into the curriculum to seek out the training and topics I presently feel are lacking.

You should give the school a call and talk to someone involved in the program you're considering. I'm sure they'd be willing to give you some good info.