Hampton University's Masters in Medical Science 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update: They are still interviewing and will be until late June. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello future MSD1's! I'm currently a rising second-year student in the program. I would love to be of assistance. Feel free to PM or even ask here any questions. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

*Side Note(s):
1. The admissions process is a bit wacky. The timeline for each person varies tremendously. I would recommend calling, e-mailing, and if you're close by...dropping in! (I visited the campus twice and met with Druitt once--post interview) just to really re-iterate my interest in the program.
2. As far as MCAT for admissions, there really isn't a minimum (just don't get like the bare min..10 or 470 lol). If you haven't taken your MCAT yet, don't worry! The ENTIRE first year is MCAT Prep. It is expected that you will take (or retake) your MCAT in the spring of your first year.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello future MSD1's! I'm currently a rising second-year student in the program. I would love to be of assistance. Feel free to PM or even ask here any questions. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

*Side Note(s):
1. The admissions process is a bit wacky. The timeline for each person varies tremendously. I would recommend calling, e-mailing, and if you're close by...dropping in! (I visited the campus twice and met with Druitt once--post interview) just to really re-iterate my interest in the program.
2. As far as MCAT for admissions, there really isn't a minimum (just don't get like the bare min..10 or 470 lol). If you haven't taken your MCAT yet, don't worry! The ENTIRE first year is MCAT Prep. It is expected that you will take (or retake) your MCAT in the spring of your first year.

Hey, so what are your thoughts on the programs so far and how competitive would you say is the application cycle? Does this program get hundreds of applicants or are you not sure? Due to the class size being so small I just wanted to have an idea on my chances of getting accepted. 2nd, in regards to the MCAT if your score is of the lower teens (old exam) does that place an applicant at a significant disadvantage or does your personal statement, transcript and letters of rec help for you to viewed more holistically?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, so what are your thoughts on the programs so far and how competitive would you say is the application cycle? Does this program get hundreds of applicants or are you not sure? Due to the class size being so small I just wanted to have an idea on my chances of getting accepted. 2nd, in regards to the MCAT if your score is of the lower teens (old exam) does that place an applicant at a significant disadvantage or does your personal statement, transcript and letters of rec help for you to viewed more holistically?

Honestly, this program is really what you make it. On paper, it sounds very organized...but it is not (i came from a PWI undergrad school). A lot of the professors are great, but stretched thin. We didn't have a Physics professor for like the first month or so. However, if you put in the time OUTSIDE of class (study on your own and supplement with in class lectures), you'll be fine!

As far as the admissions process, I would say it is semi-competitive. I believe last cycle, Druitt mentioned receiving about 150ish applications. Our class size is 28. However, your application is looked at HOLISTICALLY. Don't let your MCAT score stop you from applying or make you lose hope. One of my current classmate's had an MCAT score of 18 and still got in. Remember, should you get in...the whole purpose of the first year is to prep you to take the MCAT in the spring. Keep the faith!

Honestly, this program is really what you make it. On paper, it sounds very organized...but it is not (i came from a PWI undergrad school). A lot of the professors are great, but stretched thin. We didn't have a Physics professor for like the first month or so. However, if you put in the time OUTSIDE of class (study on your own and supplement with in class lectures), you'll be fine!

As far as the admissions process, I would say it is semi-competitive. I believe last cycle, Druitt mentioned receiving about 150ish applications. Our class size is 28. However, your application is looked at HOLISTICALLY. Don't let your MCAT score stop you from applying or make you lose hope. One of my current classmate's had an MCAT score of 18 and still got in. Remember, should you get in...the whole purpose of the first year is to prep you to take the MCAT in the spring. Keep the faith!
Thanks for all the feedback! I live in SC, but I'm graduating this May, so I'll have a little extra time on my hands. I've been thinking about coming up to the school for a tour to just show my face and let them know that I'm really interested in the program. Is there a specific day that is reserved for drop ins/tours?

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has been accepted to this program. I interviewed in late January and received my acceptance letter in February. Best of luck to everyone applying!

Has anyone heard anything from them lately? I received an email from them on the 24th about submitting one more letter to complete my application, but I haven't heard from them since.

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has been accepted to this program. I interviewed in late January and received my acceptance letter in February. Best of luck to everyone applying!
I interviewed and received a letter in March, so I will be attending this Fall!

Thanks for all the feedback! I live in SC, but I'm graduating this May, so I'll have a little extra time on my hands. I've been thinking about coming up to the school for a tour to just show my face and let them know that I'm really interested in the program. Is there a specific day that is reserved for drop ins/tours?
There isn't a specific day. I called first to find out when he would be in the office, then I just picked a friday and showed up around 1pm.

Has anyone heard anything from them lately? I received an email from them on the 24th about submitting one more letter to complete my application, but I haven't heard from them since.

Hey have you heard anything about an upcoming interview or have you received an online interview?

Hey have you heard anything about an upcoming interview or have you received an online interview?
No, I still haven't heard from them since they told me that I needed one more letter sent in to complete my application. That was on the 24th of April. I've emailed me them several times, but I haven't received a response yet. Have you heard from them lately?

No, I still haven't heard from them since they told me that I needed one more letter sent in to complete my application. That was on the 24th of April. I've emailed me them several times, but I haven't received a response yet. Have you heard from them lately?
Have you called and spoken with Ms.Rankin at the grad office? She was real helpful and got back to me within 24hrs...I submitted an online interview not too long ago I'm just waiting to hear back idk how long it takes.

Have you called and spoken with Ms.Rankin at the grad office? She was real helpful and got back to me within 24hrs...I submitted an online interview not too long ago I'm just waiting to hear back idk how long it takes.
In her last email to me, she said to email her back at [email protected], but i haven't received a response from that email account. I just forwarded the email to her personal account. Hopefully that works. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else got an interview for Friday, June 2nd?

Good luck to those interviewing soon and to those waiting to hear back!

For those that got their acceptance letter, when do classes start in the fall and congratulations!!!!

There aren't any specific days. Just be sure to call ahead!

congrats to everyone who had the in person interviews! what was it like?

congrats to everyone who had the in person interviews! what was it like?
For me, we had an introduction done by Mr. Druitt, then he interviewed all of us individually and that was basically it. He asked about 6 or 7 questions and it was pretty laid back.

For me, we had an introduction done by Mr. Druitt, then he interviewed all of us individually and that was basically it. He asked about 6 or 7 questions and it was pretty laid back.

I agree. I hope we all get accepted.

Hello All I received an online interview and hoping to receive a formal interview. I wanted to know whenever they finally send the formal interview do they give you a date or do they let you choose? How many days from the date do they give you to prepare to drive there? I'm praying so hard to get in. This has been my dream since I can remember how to dream. I'm also nervous about my MCAT scores I'm retaking it next week.

Hello All I received an online interview and hoping to receive a formal interview. I wanted to know whenever they finally send the formal interview do they give you a date or do they let you choose? How many days from the date do they give you to prepare to drive there? I'm praying so hard to get in. This has been my dream since I can remember how to dream. I'm also nervous about my MCAT scores I'm retaking it next week.
A date will be given, timing is different for each candidate but it's generally about 2 weeks or so after the online interview.

you got this!!!.

A date will be given, timing is different for each candidate but it's generally about 2 weeks or so after the online interview.
Ok Thanks and it was through email that they contacted you? I called yesterday to check on my application but had to leave a message because no one answered. I'm thinking about calling again today.

Ok Thanks and it was through email that they contacted you? I called yesterday to check on my application but had to leave a message because no one answered. I'm thinking about calling again today.
Yep, all communication was through email but calling and dropping by if possible does not hurt at all. If you're really interested show/tell them that when you call. Best of luck :)

Email is preferable because he has a lot going on but any type of communication would be good. Like boundtolive said, try scheduling a meeting with him. Mr. Druitt is very down to earth and honest. Your turn around time might be short because classes will be starting soon. Good luck though and don't stress

Email is preferable because he has a lot going on but any type of communication would be good. Like boundtolive said, try scheduling a meeting with him. Mr. Druitt is very down to earth and honest. Your turn around time might be short because classes will be starting soon. Good luck though and don't stress

Yep, all communication was through email but calling and dropping by if possible does not hurt at all. If you're really interested show/tell them that when you call. Best of luck :)
Yes I'm 7 hours away so I will try emailing for now and yes the time is approaching for classes to start which is making me nervous. I'm going to take your advice to email and iterate my interest. So much To consider when making a move with little ones so just really want to know what the future holds. Thanks again.

Yes I'm 7 hours away so I will try emailing for now and yes the time is approaching for classes to start which is making me nervous. I'm going to take your advice to email and iterate my interest. So much To consider when making a move with little ones so just really want to know what the future holds. Thanks again.

How many little ones are you relocating with?

I just got my acceptance letter! :) Thank God

Reactions: 4 users
Well 0 now because I just received my denial letter! . Congrats to everyone else and thank you for all your comments on this forum. I will not stop at persueing my dreams.
Don't you dare stop pursuing dreams!!! A denial now is not a permanent rejection. There is always another way of making your dreams come true. The way someone else did it may not be for you but don't give up. Apply again in September when the cycle first opens up and work in the mean time. I'm praying for your strength and if you want to talk, we can pm but don't you EVER GIVE UP!

Reactions: 2 users
Don't you dare stop pursuing dreams!!! A denial now is not a permanent rejection. There is always another way of making your dreams come true. The way someone else did it may not be for you but don't give up. Apply again in September when the cycle first opens up and work in the mean time. I'm praying for your strength and if you want to talk, we can pm but don't you EVER GIVE UP!
I agree with her. Trust me other ways that people tried did not work for me. Do not stop pursuing your dreams.

Well 0 now because I just received my denial letter! . Congrats to everyone else and thank you for all your comments on this forum. I will not stop at persueing my dreams.
Please do not take these replies lightly, use them and your faith to push through, one door closes and another will open! Keep following your dreams and your purpose will be fulfilled!

thank you. That's sweet of you. Yes I would love to talk to get any extra pointers. I will apply again.

Was anyone else asked to take English 503 in their acceptance letter as well?

Congrats to all who have been accepted!!! Would anyone be willing to include their stats please? Gpa, Mcat

Last edited: