Halyard Nitinol vs. Stainless RFA Probes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecentral09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Colleagues,
We are looking to purchase a new Halyard RFA/cooled RF generator, and looking into either Nitinol or Stainless probes. Nitinol probes are around 950$ per probe and stainless average out to approx 680$ per probe.
Our situation will be I am the only interventional pain doctor who will be using the probes, and there will be a single tech who does the cleaning. Therefore, the handling of them will hopefully be extremely regimented. What are your thoughts based on the cost? Secondly, does anyone have any significant options on the Halyard RFA/ Cooled RF system? Thanks for all your input

Members don't see this ad.

The cooled RF system cost is impossible unless you are at a hospital and get HOSP facility fees. The cooled RF probes cost $850 each.

Get the nitinol probes. They are more durable. Haylard makes its money off selling you new probes to replace your broken ones.

Also, last thing you want is a broken probe. Takes up time, can hold up cases.

Would recommend neurotherm or cosman over Haylard overall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the input. I am hospital based and we do obtain HOPD fees. All our insurances cover cooled RF for all all things except one does not cover SI (Highmark) which is around 20-30% of our patient population. I do really like it for genic's and SI's if it can be paid for, as we did a lot of it in fellowship. WE had a neurotherm in fellowship which I also really liked. As far as anyone knows on this forum, can you used halyard cooled RF off of a Neurotherm unit?