Hair transplant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unfortunately most HT doctors are crap and into this business for money. HT is an elective surgery and therefore they don't care if the results are good so long as patients don't die, develop complicated conditions etc. I've known so many people who were practically disfigured after getting An HT.

P.S Average HT in US is about $4-8 per graft. Most people get 2000-3000 grafts per session so they DO make big bucks (on low end $8-12k to high end $16-24k). That's if you have one patient a day. Some doctors have 1-3 patients per day so you do the math. And more and more doctors doing HTs exclusively.

Also FWIW. I've seen most HT doctors are DO doctors. Those doctors who are really good at what they do have people lined up for 6-12 months in advance.

In terms of FUE vs FUT. In today's day and age, people want FUE. Each graft is extracted individually (virtually no scaring) instead of a smilie face scar in the back of your head. FUT is easier to do and takes less time, that's why most US doctors mostly do FUT. in Europe FUE is the norm. FUE leaves white dots as scars and thus allows people to wear their hair short.

The market is definitely there. People travel across the globe to have HT done at reputable clinic. There will never be shortage of bald people unless something comes out that changes genetics.

I agree, in order to be good at HT you will have to spend some time somewhere doing cases under supervision by someone who is good at it. That's why it's expensive to get started.

Most physicians do FUE but FUT is needed in some cases so you can either turn that patient away (which is fine because there will be many more) or learn FUT. The key to HT is learning the artistic side of it so patients look proportional and like the results.

I disagree that MOST doctors are crap and into this business. There are some that are crap because they take a weekend course and get started. But it is a business and a desire to help people get over insecurity. Cosmetic plastic surgery is the same. But for the most part if someone is willing to put in the time and get the training they will do well financially.

I knew a cardio-thoracic surgeon who quit his practice of 14 hour days 6 days a week and got trained in HT. He went from 80+ hours a week to 30 and made more money.

But it's not easy. It will take a significant investment in time and money. It is also extremely tedious work. One follicle at a time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
3 months sounds very nice for the same price the others offer just 1 week. At least you won't feel as ripped of even if it is a scam, because living in India for 3 months may be a fun experience on its own.

Also they state that their doctors are members of ISHRS which is probably the best organisation for hair transplantation education. Perhaps it's not that different from ISHRS's own course.

You will learn more. less restriction on what you can do out there. I would come back after and take one of those ISHRS courses to see how things are set up in the US and the business model in the US before opening up. If you can get a couple of hundred cases under you belt it would be great.

I can't imagine cost of living would be high in India. Especially since you would be there to basically immerse yourself in learning.

You will learn more. less restriction on what you can do out there. I would come back after and take one of those ISHRS courses to see how things are set up in the US and the business model in the US before opening up. If you can get a couple of hundred cases under you belt it would be great.

I can't imagine cost of living would be high in India. Especially since you would be there to basically immerse yourself in learning.
I'm from Europe though, so can't practice in the US. But that doesn't change much I guess. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Europe though, so can't practice in the US. But that doesn't change much I guess. Thanks!

Not too long ago I saw a British company hiring for a HT doc. They said they would train. You might want to look into that if you are from Europe. Either way HT is profitable in europe or US.

The puns in this thread gave me life!

I have friends who traveled to Turkey to get the procedure done at 1/4 of the cost in the US and had great results.

Hair transplant.. Id say the thing is to find someone who does a good amount of these. Or best of the best in an urban area.
I had it done once and paid 8 grand. [The dermatologist hired 2 hair transplant techs] The dermatologist did say I might need it done a second time. My barber and myself did see some improvement in the crown. Instead of being shiny bald there I do have some hair at the crown. For another 8-10 grand I think I will just let it be and be happy with just the one procedure.
*But geez that seems like some tedious work!