Guaranteed Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTinthemaking15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at my University next week for a guaranteed interview spot at VCOM. Here are my main two questions, if anyone has encountered something like this, what type of questions should I expect? Also, how often are students accepted that "snag" a guaranteed interview spot. I assume I will be on the same playing field as everyone else.

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview at my University next week for a guaranteed interview spot at VCOM. Here are my main two questions, if anyone has encountered something like this, what type of questions should I expect? Also, how often are students accepted that "snag" a guaranteed interview spot. I assume I will be on the same playing field as everyone else.
It will depend on the reason for a guaranteed interview.

Reactions: 1 user
It will depend on the reason for a guaranteed interview.
As of right now they don't require a MCAT, but for the time being, it is determined upon your GPA, EC's, and LOR. Afterwards, we are required to make X on our MCAT in order to receive the interview invite. Other students are interviewing for guaranteed acceptance spots, but I found out about the program past the guaranteed acceptance spot :oops::oops: (Sad day).

Members don't see this ad :)
(massive opinion piece here, so take with a grain of salt)

In my experience the interviews (whether you're in a program that guarantees a spot or not) are all pretty much the same, and have limited impact in your overall application. The interview can really only hurt you. I would literally google "med school interview" questions and make sure you're prepped for those. Think logically. They want even, well balanced applications.

Practice some ethical questions, they're usually pretty straight forward but if you're not ready they can be detrimental.

examples are
Do you assist in death with dignity act
how do you handle a colleague that's been cheating
etc.

best of luck!

Also, be prepared to answer the "Tell me about yourself" question. Ironically, though it seems the easiest, it's the one that catches people off-guard the most

Reactions: 1 users
Also, be prepared to answer the "Tell me about yourself" question. Ironically, though it seems the easiest, it's the one that catches people off-guard the most
Truth.

Thank you guys!!! I just started panicking about it the other day. Apparently one of the founders of the program is coming down to meet with us as well. So this sends my anxiety through the roof lol. Oh... And the "tell me about yourself" question has always stumped me. I always want to tell them my entire life story, but I know it needs to be somewhat short and to the point.

"Why DO? / Explain what a DO is" is pretty guaranteed i'd reckon.

One thing that I can recommend from being on (non-admissions) interview committees for a couple of years is be personable. Your interviewers will probably interview around a dozen people in a day and you don't want to come off as awkward and robotic. Many times there was a potential coworker that looked good to me on paper but had zero personality. Those people got shoved to the back for the more enthusiastic and engaging folks immediately. It gets boring interviewing people that have memorized their answers to every question, so the ones that are polite and conversational can really stand out.

As far as the "about you" question, it's an opportunity to bring up personality traits, experiences and hobbies without it seeming too forced. It's really a license to take the conversation where you want it to go. So don't say "I grew up in X place, went to school at Y place and want to practice Z speciality." Try something more like, "I really enjoy X, have a dog/cat/parakeet, husband/wife/kid, etc. and throw in an interesting fact or experience." That makes you more human, and we want human doctors in medicine. And don't forget to ask your interviewers about their practices, interests, research or other topics. When I asked those questions they led to a lot of really cool discussions that helped me win them over. Good luck!

"Why DO? / Explain what a DO is" is pretty guaranteed i'd reckon.
Thank you! I always think of the most complicated interview questions, but the simple ones always slip my mind.
One thing that I can recommend from being on (non-admissions) interview committees for a couple of years is be personable. Your interviewers will probably interview around a dozen people in a day and you don't want to come off as awkward and robotic. Many times there was a potential coworker that looked good to me on paper but had zero personality. Those people got shoved to the back for the more enthusiastic and engaging folks immediately. It gets boring interviewing people that have memorized their answers to every question, so the ones that are polite and conversational can really stand out.

As far as the "about you" question, it's an opportunity to bring up personality traits, experiences and hobbies without it seeming too forced. It's really a license to take the conversation where you want it to go. So don't say "I grew up in X place, went to school at Y place and want to practice Z speciality." Try something more like, "I really enjoy X, have a dog/cat/parakeet, husband/wife/kid, etc. and throw in an interesting fact or experience." That makes you more human, and we want human doctors in medicine. And don't forget to ask your interviewers about their practices, interests, research or other topics. When I asked those questions they led to a lot of really cool discussions that helped me win them over. Good luck!

THIS... I may come out looking good tomorrow because of this. I've been on one non-admission committee and I should have realized the good students were real with us. Yet again, thank you so much for this. Maybe I will become a Physician after all lol.

Interviewer: Tell me about yourself

Me: I like mayonnaise

Interviewer: ....

Me: with... fries?

Reactions: 3 users
Wait, it's an interview for an interview?

Are you in VCOM's postbacc? Don't they give guaranteed acceptance provided you meet the benchmark?

Edit: Im guessing his university has some sort of linkage to VCOM that gives a guaranteed interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, it's an interview for an interview?
Haha it is one of the strangest things ever. 97% of the other students are interviewing for acceptances, but I am beyond grateful.
Are you in VCOM's postbacc? Don't they give guaranteed acceptance provided you meet the benchmark?

Edit: Im guessing his university has some sort of linkage to VCOM that gives a guaranteed interview
I thought about joining their program, but I'm not sure if they offer a guaranteed acceptance or not. I know you can make a lower MCAT score if you maintain a specific GPA. You are correct though! They offer guaranteed acceptance with/without MCAT and guaranteed interviews. My interview is today, wish me luck!!!

Well? How'd it go?
It went well! I'm accepted into their program! :soexcited: So that means I get the guaranteed interview, contingent that I make a 492 on my MCAT (Hopefully I can pull a 492 lol). But they absolutely destroyed me in the interview. It was five committee members ripping apart my application. I received questions anywhere from "I see you took Biomechanics your _____ year, how does that apply to medicine?" Then I had the normal "What are your weaknesses, why are you choosing VCOM, why medicine, etc..." If anything, their program gave me the confidence for any Med school interview. I don't think it can get much worse... I am going to keep telling myself that anyways lol. Thank you for asking btw!

It went well! I'm accepted into their program! :soexcited: So that means I get the guaranteed interview, contingent that I make a 492 on my MCAT (Hopefully I can pull a 492 lol). But they absolutely destroyed me in the interview. It was five committee members ripping apart my application. I received questions anywhere from "I see you took Biomechanics your _____ year, how does that apply to medicine?" Then I had the normal "What are your weaknesses, why are you choosing VCOM, why medicine, etc..." If anything, their program gave me the confidence for any Med school interview. I don't think it can get much worse... I am going to keep telling myself that anyways lol. Thank you for asking btw!

Congrats. Praying it eventually turns into an acceptance for you!

Interviewer: Tell me something you don't want me to know.
Me: what makes you think there something I don't want you to know?
Interviewer: :claps::welcome:

Congrats. Praying it eventually turns into an acceptance for you!
Thank you! Me too. Prayers on the MCAT would be appreciated as well. Maybe it won't break me lol.
Interviewer: Tell me something you don't want me to know.
Me: what makes you think there something I don't want you to know?
Interviewer: :claps::welcome:
Haha maybe they will accept that answer during my Med school interview. The other day it was more like:
Interviewer: Tell me about yourself.
Me: *Tells a short, two minute summary of my personal life*
Interviewer: We were hoping to hear more about your academics.
Me: :help:

Thank you! Me too. Prayers on the MCAT would be appreciated as well. Maybe it won't break me lol.

Haha maybe they will accept that answer during my Med school interview. The other day it was more like:
Interviewer: Tell me about yourself.
Me: *Tells a short, two minute summary of my personal life*
Interviewer: We were hoping to hear more about your academics.
Me: :help:

What's your requirement for the program? A 492? No way you're not getting that. The mean is like 505 or something. Put in study time and do practice tests, and you'll be fine.

Here is a question I have for someone that has taken the MCAT. Is it difficult to break a 500<? Long story short, I am writing the MCAT in three months or so without Biochem (Stupid, I know). But I am currently using Kevin Ahern on Youtube, and I've already taken Cell Bio, plus my Undergrad degree is in Kinesiology. So I've had a few classes that pertained to Biochem, but not an actual Biochem class. I'm almost half-way finished with my BR books, and just started on the Biochem book. All I need is a 492 for the interview, but that doesn't guaranteed an acceptance. Anyways, I figured you guys would have a good answer.

Here is a question I have for someone that has taken the MCAT. Is it difficult to break a 500<? Long story short, I am writing the MCAT in three months or so without Biochem (Stupid, I know). But I am currently using Kevin Ahern on Youtube, and I've already taken Cell Bio, plus my Undergrad degree is in Kinesiology. So I've had a few classes that pertained to Biochem, but not an actual Biochem class. I'm almost half-way finished with my BR books, and just started on the Biochem book. All I need is a 492 for the interview, but that doesn't guaranteed an acceptance. Anyways, I figured you guys would have a good answer.

You're at a bit of a disadvantage due to not having formal biochem, but if you're independently studying it you could still do well. Pretty much all the biochem on my MCAT was basic (categories of amino acids, etc). I don't think you need to memorize any pathways because mine were all given in the passage/discrete.

I recommend Kaplan FL's and of course the AAMC FL's once you're done with Kaplan. Kaplan FL's are tough and the scores are deflated, so it's nice to have the challenge and the scores prevent overconfidence. Khan Academy was useful for me as well, though the questions aren't very representative of the MCAT. It's good material to start out with and gauge your level of understanding before doing FL's.

To answer your original question, it's not hard to break 500 for most people. I studied ~20 hours/week for a month while I was working full time and took a FL per day for the last 8 days before my test and I got a 507. I wouldn't recommend that cramming method to other people because it sucked and I think I could have done better with more preparation, but I worked with the time I had and it turned out OK. I have full confidence you won't have an issue breaking 500.

Last little anecdote: there are MCAT teachers that have demonstrated (questionably, however) that they can teach someone with no science background whatsoever how to take the test and they score >500.

That doesn't seem like ripping you apart lol. Pretty standard Q's.

Could've been a lot worse. Ever heard of an MMI?

You're at a bit of a disadvantage due to not having formal biochem, but if you're independently studying it you could still do well. Pretty much all the biochem on my MCAT was basic (categories of amino acids, etc). I don't think you need to memorize any pathways because mine were all given in the passage/discrete.

I recommend Kaplan FL's and of course the AAMC FL's once you're done with Kaplan. Kaplan FL's are tough and the scores are deflated, so it's nice to have the challenge and the scores prevent overconfidence. Khan Academy was useful for me as well, though the questions aren't very representative of the MCAT. It's good material to start out with and gauge your level of understanding before doing FL's.

To answer your original question, it's not hard to break 500 for most people. I studied ~20 hours/week for a month while I was working full time and took a FL per day for the last 8 days before my test and I got a 507. I wouldn't recommend that cramming method to other people because it sucked and I think I could have done better with more preparation, but I worked with the time I had and it turned out OK. I have full confidence you won't have an issue breaking 500.

Last little anecdote: there are MCAT teachers that have demonstrated (questionably, however) that they can teach someone with no science background whatsoever how to take the test and they score >500.
Thank you! So far I have the Amino Acids down. It didn't take too long to memorize their structures, codes, etc... But lets see how the rest of Biochem goes lol.

I would use Kaplan, but I've already purchased TBR. But I have AAMC's FL's and their section bank, so I am hoping that will give me enough practice to score well.

I've been studying a good bit, but I haven't taken a lot of these classes in 4-5 years, so I am pretty much learning everything new again lol. Thank you for the confidence booster! I am going to need it in order to push through these review books. I'm definitely dreading the Physics section :unsure:

What!?! That is insane, but I would love to see how they are able to do that. Maybe this test won't be so bad.

That doesn't seem like ripping you apart lol. Pretty standard Q's.

Could've been a lot worse. Ever heard of an MMI?
Yeah. It wasn't terrible, but I was expecting one Professor (my advisor) to interview me. When I walked in and saw 5 different Professors, that's when I crapped myself. I am used to a smile or two, or even a chuckle at a cheesy joke, but they were straight faced the entire time. I asked how my interview went yesterday and they said it went well. On the bright side, it is all over with and now I just need to worry about my Med school interview.

Yeah. It wasn't terrible, but I was expecting one Professor (my advisor) to interview me. When I walked in and saw 5 different Professors, that's when I crapped myself. I am used to a smile or two, or even a chuckle at a cheesy joke, but they were straight faced the entire time. I asked how my interview went yesterday and they said it went well. On the bright side, it is all over with and now I just need to worry about my Med school interview.

I admittedly haven't read every single post but what was this for?

I admittedly haven't read every single post but what was this for?
It sounds strange, but an interview for an interview. Pretty much, I interviewed at my University for a Guaranteed interview at VCOM. As long as I make a 492 I am guaranteed an interview at VCOM. Also, I get a chance to meet some of the individuals that help create the program. So I am hoping that gives me an advantage in my interview for Med school.

It sounds strange, but an interview for an interview. Pretty much, I interviewed at my University for a Guaranteed interview at VCOM. As long as I make a 492 I am guaranteed an interview at VCOM. Also, I get a chance to meet some of the individuals that help create the program. So I am hoping that gives me an advantage in my interview for Med school.
Are you in high school?

Are you in high school?
Nope. I know a lot of programs offer the BS/DO, but the school I attend offers guaranteed admission with/without the MCAT, and they offer the guaranteed interview. The other applicants received guaranteed acceptances because they have been with the program sine Freshman year. I joined the program late and I can only receive the interview portion. I've never heard of a program like this, but apparently it exist lol.

Edit: I have my BS degree. So I am just trying to take this flippin MCAT and start Med school.

What's your requirement for the program? A 492? No way you're not getting that. The mean is like 505 or something. Put in study time and do practice tests, and you'll be fine.
Yeh - well done you will get it. Keep taking the practices until you are consistently scoring above that and you'll be fine.

Figured I would update you guys. We had a mock white coat ceremony for the guaranteed interview. Also, I had the chance to meet with one of the founders of the VCOM program (great guy). He explained everything about the VCOM campuses and I guess it will be something to talk about in my interview. Overall, I am kind of excited for this application cycle. :clap: