All Branch Topic (ABT) GS from Active Duty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a civilian spot open in my department, doing exactly what I do, which pays very well. Due to the hiring freeze and dearth of applicants, they likely won't fill it any time soon. I'm very interested in it, have always heard of folks who "walked out in uniform on Friday, walked in a civilian on Monday".

Couple questions-
First, can this actually be done? Is there a cooling off period before I can apply, given that I'm already in the system and could hypothetically manipulate the process to my advantage? (Though realistically I have no idea how I would do that other than to continue to demonstrate skill and productivity.)

Secondly, should I burn all my leave moonlighting between now and my start date, if I get hired? I assume you cannot start a GS job while on terminal leave and still active duty. I don't think selling it back makes sense, I can make $$$ moonlighting compared to what my base pay if I sold my leave back.

Add on top of this I would like to go National Guard. I'll be exiting as a LTC in the Army with significant line and deployment experience. Will I find a job at that level? Maybe some sort of division surgeon in the guard or reserves?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is a lot of amedd physician slots are rated O5 so you're likely ok there. I'd call your local guard and reserve commands as there might be very different opportunities in the same state

Reactions: 1 user