GS chace? starting to lose hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thetashiro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
gggggg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My one question to you: is your goal to be a surgeon or will you only be happy if you are a <insert competitive speciality> surgeon?

No one cares about your undergraduate research and they probably don't care about your publication from medical school. It doesn't bode well that you don't have 3 letters from surgeons. That tells me that your reputation with your faculty isn't the best (and you shouldn't be complaining about someone else's grammar when your own leaves something to be desired).

If you want to be a surgeon, get the idea out of your mind that you must match to an academic program. You can become a surgeon at a community program (and even some community programs have produced pediatric surgeons and surgical oncologists).

While it won't change things now, I have to wonder if your time spent getting "**** faced drunk" was responsible for what appears to be your poor study habits and academic career. Hopefully this has changed.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually I did change a lot. Much more difference than when I started, and definitely much happier. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude about anyone. I think I've been in the slump and lashed out.

I definitely do want to be a surgeon, fellowship is just a plus for in case I decide to pursue later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually I did change a lot. Much more difference than when I started, and definitely much happier. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude about anyone. I think I've been in the slump and lashed out.

I definitely do want to be a surgeon, fellowship is just a plus for in case I decide to pursue later.
I understand, it (application) can be frustrating.

At this point, given your difficulties, you should focus on a general surgery program. Fellowship, especially a competitive one, is a bonus. If you will only be happy pursuing a competitive speciality, you'll need a Plan B.

You can't do anything about your transcript but you CAN get another LOR from a surgeon. All your LORs should be from surgeons and while rank and status is bets, not everyone has DeBakey writing them LORs (well no one does now LOL)..