This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioLife23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering what your experiences were with group interviews. Were they more fun than traditional? What did you notice was most important in this style of interviewing?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just wondering what your experiences were with group interviews. Were they more fun than traditional? What did you notice was most important in this style of interviewing?

Thanks!
As someone who gives group interviews, advice #1 is pay attention to what your fellow interviewees are saying.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who gives group interviews, advice #1 is pay attention to what your fellow interviewees are saying.
Could you elaborate on that a bit? Like, are the interviewee suppose to comment on what the other interviewees are saying?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pay attention and build off the responses of your group members.

That the only artwork are creepy af clown paintings & that you fly half way across the country for LECOMB to spend 15 mins interviewing you in a group setting...

-ask about their clinical rotations & what kind of hospitals you'll be in

-ask about clinical skills training & how LECOMB goes about this important part of med education

Could you elaborate on that a bit? Like, are the interviewee suppose to comment on what the other interviewees are saying?

No, just pay attention. Looking disinterested will lead to a reject.

Depending on how the interview is set up, I'm going to somewhat disagree with the wise Goro here. At some schools the interview is more of a discussion, and you are expected to build on what others have said. Not looking disinterested is obviously the first step, but it won't look so good if when it gets to be your turn you say the exact same thing as another interviewee without realizing it, so you really do need to pay attention.

Depending on how the interview is set up, I'm going to somewhat disagree with the wise Goro here. At some schools the interview is more of a discussion, and you are expected to build on what others have said. Not looking disinterested is obviously the first step, but it won't look so good if when it gets to be your turn you say the exact same thing as another interviewee without realizing it, so you really do need to pay attention.
My apologies...our group interviews are structured differently.

I interviewed at Touro CA which does group interview, and it was an interesting experience. There was a DO physician, a Ph.D and a 2nd year student. The interview was about an hour long, and there were four of us in the room. So each one roughly had 15 minutes. Each asked different questions, but the student asked the toughest questions to the interviewees. For example, he asked a question to one of the interviewees "It looks like you don't have any clinical experience. What drives you to become a physician if you have never experienced a hospital setting?"

Overall, the group interview at Touro was very much like 1:1 interview except there are other interviewees listening to your answer and you are expected to listen to their answers as well. After all, they can be your friends in med school in the next four years.

I interviewed at Touro CA which does group interview, and it was an interesting experience. There was a DO physician, a Ph.D and a 2nd year student. The interview was about an hour long, and there were four of us in the room. So each one roughly had 15 minutes. Each asked different questions, but the student asked the toughest questions to the interviewees. For example, he asked a question to one of the interviewees "It looks like you don't have any clinical experience. What drives you to become a physician if you have never experienced a hospital setting?"

Overall, the group interview at Touro was very much like 1:1 interview except there are other interviewees listening to your answer and you are expected to listen to their answers as well. After all, they can be your friends in med school in the next four years.
Someone got an interview with no clinical experience?

No, just pay attention. Looking disinterested will lead to a reject.

Goro, unless you've been fudging the info in your posts, I feel like you've definitely given enough information for an intrepid investigator to figure out what school you're at!

Goro, unless you've been fudging the info in your posts, I feel like you've definitely given enough information for an intrepid investigator to figure out what school you're at!
Let's not get into TOS violationland...I do engage in dezinformatsiya to throw off my scent. Remember, I've been associated with medical education at at least five medical schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Apparently so. I think it's not rare to find people who get into med school without significant clinical experience?
Not at my school!

The wise LizzyM has an excellent example as to why it's important:

I am always reminded of a certain frequent poster of a few years ago. He was adamant about not volunteering as he did not want to give his services for free and he was busy and helping others was inconvenient. He matriculated to a medical school and lasted less than one year. He's now in school to become an accountant.

• Haha