Program-Specific Info / Q's GRE + University of Illinois at Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Travelling_OT_Hopeful

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am taking the GRE in 2 weeks and am starting to really stress over it. Geometry is just not my thing and never will be! My dream school is UIC and I know they are incredibly competitive. On their website it states that applicants with less than ideal GRE scores may still qualify "if the applicant’s grade point average is sufficiently high to demonstrate strong academic potential."
What do we think someone's GPA needs to be to meet this qualification? Would a 3.8 overall and 3.81 prereq GPA suffice??
Thanks for calming my nerves :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think I can help because I attended the AOTA Virtual Fair today(some schools are still on if you want to join) and UIC attended. The question of the GRE was asked and I'll post their response here:

How heavily are GRE scores weighted in the application process?

9:20 AM

UIC Department of ...

Leora - great question. Ideally, we look for a well rounded applicant. We first look at the last 60 credit hours of undergraduate work as well as the prerequisites you have completed by the time of application. The average GPA for the last 60 hours of undergraduate work as well as the prerequisites is about 3.80 on a 4.0 scale. The range is typically between a 2.9 and a 4.0. Applicants with either a 60 hour GPA or a prerequisite GPA below 3.0 may be considered for admission if they have strengths in other areas, such as GRE, volunteer experience (we recommend at least 50 hours of OT observation in 2 different settings), the OTCAS personal statement, UIC personal statement, and letters of recommendation. The same goes for the GRE (which is required of all applicants). We understand that not everyone is a great test taker so we will look at the other parts of your application to help offset lower scores, such as experiences. It is increasingly competitive to get into UIC's program, so you should present as strong an application as you can.

just wanted to add- i worried about the math portion of the gre too (like you, not my thing) but found the actual problems to not be so bad; it was the time! definitely practice with time constraints. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into UIC with an abysmal math GRE score, so don't panic. The key to the GRE is just to prepare as much as you can so that nothing surprises you, and try to take it in stride on the day. You get your score immediately and can always re-take for a higher score!

That said, when you submit your personal statement for UIC on OTCAS, there will be a note saying that you can optionally send an additional personal statement that's geared toward explaining anything about your academic background that you'd like to clarify. If you end up with a lower-than-average score, I would definitely take advantage of the opportunity to discuss it in that second statement - highlight your high GPA, and maybe point to some other quantitative courses you took where you excelled.

But I'm sure you'll do great! It's not as bad as you think, and they really take the time to look closely at all aspects of every applicant. Best of luck!:)

I got into UIC with an abysmal math GRE score, so don't panic. The key to the GRE is just to prepare as much as you can so that nothing surprises you, and try to take it in stride on the day. You get your score immediately and can always re-take for a higher score!

That said, when you submit your personal statement for UIC on OTCAS, there will be a note saying that you can optionally send an additional personal statement that's geared toward explaining anything about your academic background that you'd like to clarify. If you end up with a lower-than-average score, I would definitely take advantage of the opportunity to discuss it in that second statement - highlight your high GPA, and maybe point to some other quantitative courses you took where you excelled.

But I'm sure you'll do great! It's not as bad as you think, and they really take the time to look closely at all aspects of every applicant. Best of luck!:)

Thanks for such a kind and optimistic response! Did you end up attending UIC?? Also, I took and received a 158 V and 151 Q (waiting on writing still). As someone who has been through the process, do you think I should retake it? I am considering trying again to try to get my math a little higher! Thanks :)

Hi all!

I am taking the GRE in 2 weeks and am starting to really stress over it. Geometry is just not my thing and never will be! My dream school is UIC and I know they are incredibly competitive. On their website it states that applicants with less than ideal GRE scores may still qualify "if the applicant’s grade point average is sufficiently high to demonstrate strong academic potential."
What do we think someone's GPA needs to be to meet this qualification? Would a 3.8 overall and 3.81 prereq GPA suffice??
Thanks for calming my nerves :)

UPDATE: I received a 159 V and 151 Q, what do we think?? Retake or no? I definitely do NOT want to sit through that again but if I need to I will! Thank you everyone!

UPDATE: I received a 159 V and 151 Q, what do we think?? Retake or no? I definitely do NOT want to sit through that again but if I need to I will! Thank you everyone!

I think you did well. Plus your GPA's are great, and like they said, that would help make up for a bad score. I don't think you need to re-take it but do whatever makes you feel at ease about applying. Good luck!

Thanks for such a kind and optimistic response! Did you end up attending UIC?? Also, I took and received a 158 V and 151 Q (waiting on writing still). As someone who has been through the process, do you think I should retake it? I am considering trying again to try to get my math a little higher! Thanks :)

I did end up attending UIC, actually! I'm in the midst of my first semester as we speak.
I would say that if you feel personally comfortable with your scores, go ahead and move on. Knowing the values of the program, I would recommend that if you want to bolster your application you should spend the next few months doing some community-based volunteering or outreach. They would be much more impressed by that, and it's a better use of your time than spending those hours studying to bump up your scores!

Does anyone know if the applicant visit days for UIC affects your chance of getting into the program? Wasn't sure if it was geared more towards getting more information from the school or if attending the visit days would potentially bolster your chance of getting in?

Does anyone know if the applicant visit days for UIC affects your chance of getting into the program? Wasn't sure if it was geared more towards getting more information from the school or if attending the visit days would potentially bolster your chance of getting in?
I thought it was just a chance to see the campus and maybe a class. I cant go due to work, but I dont think they really take notice if you go or not. Just my opinion though.