GRE Study Books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someody give me an idea of some study books for acing the GRE? There are so many threads on MCAT study tips, but I have no idea how or what to study for the GRE.

What books are best? Kaplan? Princeton? Anything else?

How many hours/day or how many months is it best to study for the GRE?

What sorts of scores are competitive (comparable to MCAT 32+) for top graduate programs and/or good MD/PhD programs? The scores now range from 130-170 (new, revised GRE versions), so it would be nice to know how close to perfection is required. Or heck, should it just make sense to aim for 170 in both sections and a 6 on writing?! I don't know!

Also, what GRE subject tests are needed in addition to the main test for a biology graduate degree?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about the general GRE test (didn't prep for that), but Princeton Review's math subject exam books was good prep for the math subject exam... Most programs won't require the GRE or GRE subject exams unless you're in a nontraditional area of reseach (such as mathematics or physics).

.Former Kaplan MCAT/GRE Instructor here.
.-All my comments are based on the assumption that you're starting from square one..
.1. Can't say anything about Princeton Review, but Kaplan's 'stand-alone' prep books do a good job of thoroughly breaking down each element of the exam and contain lots of helpful test-taking strategies, but they are a little thin on practice materials, especially practice full-lengths. If money is a concern, then your best bet is to look on Amazon.
.2. Can't answer because everyone is different. General studying advice: Make a study-schedule and stick to it. Try to study 5-6 days a week; give yourself a day off to prevent burn out. IMO, give yourself at least two months, for thoroughness and confidence building. .
.3. Competitive scores, based on your metric:.
.MCAT: 32 (85–88th percentile).
.GRE: 160 (86th percentile).
.Complete score breakdowns can be found at ETS and AAMC websites.
. 4. Random advice: .
.*Study to your weaknesses. Standardized tests have a way of marginalizing your skills and exposing your weakness. Solution- Practice the core material until you've truly mastered it. .
.Don't bother with a prep class. The GRE is nowhere near as difficult as the MCAT. For 99% of people, taking a GRE prep class is a waste of money..
.Familiarize yourself with the Computer-Based Interface. ETS offers an online tutorial and a few sets of formatted practice questions. Similarly, the GRE is a computer adaptive exam; the questions get harder as you get more right, and vice versa. Not much you can do about this, just be aware of it and don't let the test get in your head. Also, GRE includes an analytical writing section, so be sure to practice this or it can throw you off stride on test day.
.FYI- Most MD-PhD programs don't require the GRE-General. However, all PhD-only programs require the GRE-General, and most ‘highly recommend' a relevant GRE-Subject Exam. For a biomed PhD, the Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology subject test is your best bet. It was a huge pain in the ass. Seriously, don't take it unless you absolutely have to..
.Good luck and feel free to PM if you have specific questions..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
the above posts are good. I just want to add that if you can do well for the MCAT, the GRE will feel too easy for you. Don't worry too much about the GRE Subject tests. Even if the programs "highly recommend" a relevant subject test, it can get waived if you can send in your MCAT scores and show that you have research experience in the relevant field. good luck!

Hopefully you have the luxury of time (something that I did not have when taking the GRE). I studied for the GRE for 2 weeks using these three books that I found truly helpful. I also had my hardest pharmacy rotation at that time, something that did not help lol.

Official GRE revised test (was all right .. nothing special, got it cuz it was the official book.. practice GRE tests had actual previous test questions)

Kaplan GRE 2011-2012 premier with CD ROM (Best book and great resource with 10 practice tests on the CD replicating a real test, really helped).

A-Plus Notes for GRE revised General Test Rong Yang- (Great resource for math section of the exam).

If you have studied for the MCAT you should find it easy. I scored ~1400 (old scoring system). I can't really help you with the subject portion of the GRE because I am not familiar with that. A score of ~1400 is considered decent by many institutions but it is heavily dependent on the grad program . Here is a conversion chart with the old scores, the new scores and their percentiles.
http://www.happyschoolsblog.com/revised-new-gre-score-conversion-chart/
Good luck !

Last edited:
I also agree that if you did well on MCAT then don't sweat the GRE :) I used this site GRE Study Books: The Best GRE Preparation that just highlight the best books for each subject. I assume all brands will be relatively similar, but I like using sites like this to make my choices a bit easier.