Grant funding for self-created clinical postdoc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tosca10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody been able to create their own clinically oriented postdoc with their own grant or fellowship funding? I really like my internship site and would like to stay for a postdoc, but they may not have funding to support me. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of site is this? Philanthropic or foundation funding is sometimes available for service delivery or implementation projects, but that may be a long shot if none of your mentors has experience with these types of mechanisms.

Agreed. I can think of very few grants that would pay for just straight clinical service delivery. Program eval, development or implementation projects may be a direction to go, but its a tough sell to funding agencies if you don't have experience in it. State and local organizations may be somewhere else to look, but I think its a longshot (and entirely dependent on where you are). It may or may not even be something of interest.

Its also likely wayyy too late to be looking at grants assuming your internship ends in the summer. Even foundations would probably have a longer turnaround time. Really the sort of thing you'd need to be moving on before December.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of site is this? Philanthropic or foundation funding is sometimes available for service delivery or implementation projects, but that may be a long shot if none of your mentors has experience with these types of mechanisms.
I'm at a medical university which is connected to an outpatient clinic, student counseling center, and adult inpatient unit. I figured finding funding would be a long shot, but am just trying to think of all possible options.....

I'm at a medical university which is connected to an outpatient clinic, student counseling center, and adult inpatient unit. I figured finding funding would be a long shot, but am just trying to think of all possible options.....

I'm not sure of your situation, but if you are able to collect revenue for clinical services (may require at least a limited license), you may be able to negotiate overhead and supervision for a percentage of your collections. I'd be wary of the "eat what you kill" option, but depending on how badly you want to stay there it could be an option.

I'm not sure of your situation, but if you are able to collect revenue for clinical services (may require at least a limited license), you may be able to negotiate overhead and supervision for a percentage of your collections. I'd be wary of the "eat what you kill" option, but depending on how badly you want to stay there it could be an option.
Thanks, I'll check it out!!

Thanks, I'll check it out!!
yeah, you could perhaps get licensed at the master's level and bill insurance (take EPPP for that but if you get over the passing score for doctoral level you don't have to take it again). in my state it's just a different set of v. similar paperwork (and fees) but you could still get supervision and etc towards your doctoral license by meeting all the requirements for that at hte same time I think