Graduation gift for my wife

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tapoona

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did you get for your significant other when you graduated to show your appreciation?

I'll be graduating next month and I am wanting to get my wife a gift to tell her thank you for all she did to support me and take care of our family. We started med school as a family of four and finished as a family of six, she was a "single mom" for about four months during audition season, we moved three times, her birthday always fell on the weekend before a test or during my busiest rotations, two of the times we moved it was on our anniversary.

Because we won't have anyone to watch our kids a vacation isn't possible. I don't dare buy her any clothes or jewelry because inevitably she would end up taking it back. She isn't big into purses. We're moving in June for residency.

Any ideas to help a fella out?

Members don't see this ad.

Start with a cheesy, hand written card. Women love those darned things.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Personalized coupons (e.g. foot massage, movie night, cook dinner, etc.). Feel free to throw in a few for yourself that are cleverly disguised.

Reactions: 5 users
In addition to the above-mentioned things, make sure you take the time out to say "thank you" or "I love you" or "I appreciate you" on those really hard days. Say the words when you really mean them, not when you want to absolve your guilt for not being able to help out :) She seems like an amazing lady!

Definitely maybe give her a day (or three) off from taking care of the kids (a group date with her girlfriends or a day to pamper herself), or maybe help out with the small chores around the house when you can. Taking out the trash or doing a few loads of laundry can help out a ton, even though they aren't grand gestures of love and gratitude haha.

Congrats on your upcoming graduation!

Reactions: 4 users
Do lots of chores. Like all of them. Also my wife loves cheesy handwritten notes. Not only does doing her chores show her how much you care, but when you do their chores for them good things happen :naughty:

Reactions: 1 users
As a married man I concur with the above.
Say what you mean in a hand written note.
For bonus points, make the card yourself.
Also, get down with household duties for a solid week. And try your hand at making dinner for 2 with no children in sight.
If you are DO put your skillz to work on her back. If MD just fake it and do it anyway.

Reactions: 11 users
She will love you much if you do that. Yeah, without family great support this isn't' possible. Thanks for your impression.

e11.gif

Congrats on almost graduating!

If you fancy yourself crafty enough then you could do this scavenger hunt style clue-trail with small cute gifts scattered throughout eventually leading to a hidden picnic dinner by a lake or some other romantic place that has significance for both of you!
luv.gif
luv.gif
sip.gif

I don't personally know your wife though so I can't say if she'd have the patience for somethin like this, but just letting some ideas float around
hihi.gif

Reactions: 1 user
e11.gif

If you fancy yourself crafty enough then you could do this scavenger hunt style clue-trail with small cute gifts scattered throughout eventually leading to a hidden picnic dinner by a lake or some other romantic place that has significance for both of you!
luv.gif
luv.gif
sip.gif

I don't personally know your wife though so I can't say if she'd have the patience for somethin like this, but just letting some ideas float around
hihi.gif
What the hell?

What the hell?
Just bouncin around some ideas
e4.gif

sorry if it's too weird... ok maybe just go for something normal like what the other guys said
ahaha.gif

Edit: Oh! I get it now! Nononono there were no sexual connotations in my previous post!!
e5.gif
e5.gif

Just bouncin around some ideas
e4.gif

sorry if it's too weird... ok maybe just go for something normal like what the other guys said
ahaha.gif
lol it's not that, it's the weird cryptic witch language that's floating around. + the weird emoticons.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
lol it's not that, it's the weird cryptic witch language that's floating around. + the weird emoticons. The ideas were wierd too btw.

Ahhh. Welp, I'm weird. What can you do?
ahaha.gif
ahaha.gif
ahaha.gif

Sorry for that OP! Back to topic (I'll ease up on the unfamiliar stuff haha):
Cooking or Baking are usually always welcome by women! If you can, treat her to her favorites. But add some nice twist to it so it's at least special by some measure :)

I love that cat presence in this thread... thank you.

Reactions: 2 users
Flowers, lots of them.

Chocolates, too.

What did you get for your significant other when you graduated to show your appreciation?

I'll be graduating next month and I am wanting to get my wife a gift to tell her thank you for all she did to support me and take care of our family. We started med school as a family of four and finished as a family of six, she was a "single mom" for about four months during audition season, we moved three times, her birthday always fell on the weekend before a test or during my busiest rotations, two of the times we moved it was on our anniversary.

Because we won't have anyone to watch our kids a vacation isn't possible. I don't dare buy her any clothes or jewelry because inevitably she would end up taking it back. She isn't big into purses. We're moving in June for residency.

Any ideas to help a fella out?

Umm... ok?

You must be fun at parties.

Sorry for that OP! Back to topic (I'll ease up on the unfamiliar stuff haha):
Cooking or Baking are usually always welcome by women! If you can, treat her to her favorites. But add some nice twist to it so it's at least special by some measure :)

I loved your idea of the scavenger hunt! That is a great idea and the effort/time spent really shows how much you care and appreciate your SO. :) Thank you for sharing!

In addition to the above-mentioned things, make sure you take the time out to say "thank you" or "I love you" or "I appreciate you" on those really hard days. Say the words when you really mean them, not when you want to absolve your guilt for not being able to help out :) She seems like an amazing lady!

Congrats on your upcoming graduation!

This is something I definitely need to always do!

Do lots of chores. Like all of them. Also my wife loves cheesy handwritten notes. Not only does doing her chores show her how much you care, but when you do their chores for them good things happen :naughty:

Chores and handwritten notes are on point!!!

e11.gif

luv.gif
luv.gif
sip.gif

hihi.gif

This is such a good idea! She would love this!!!! Now I just have to figure out where to go...we've been married 12 years so we've created lots of memories to work from!

Flowers, lots of them.

Chocolates, too.

She loves flowers and it has been awhile since I've gotten

Without knowing my wife or me, you all have come up with some great ideas!

I have been married for about 20 years. You learn something from this.

[QUOTE="Tapoona, post: 18858540,

Without knowing my wife or me, you all have come up with some great ideas![/QUOTE]

just out of curiosity, do you play MMORPG? are you familiar with a game called Ragnarok?

rofl. What gave it away? :p (I'm gonna send you a PM to keep thread on track! :laugh: )

ic.gif
To OP: If you go with the clue-trail, make sure you (subtly so it's not obvious) "prime"/refresh your wife about the memories, experiences, places, codes, inside jokes, poems, riddles, etc that you're gonna use so impatience doesn't ensue like when I was first trying out the idea before hahaha :p

Also! leave a way to contact you alongside the first clue/hook for hints if she gets lost! If you can get a bunch of friends to help you with this it'd be fun too!
ic.gif

Last edited:
I have decided what I am going to get her....an Instant Pot. She has told me multiple times over the past couple of months that she would really like one. With that being said, I will takes parts of what many of you suggested.

My graduation is the day before Mother's Day. Do i give this as a combined Graduation/Mother's Day gift? It will be over $100 and we are on a med school budget, i.e. living on student loans. Good idea or bad idea to give it as a combined gift?

Last edited:
I have decided what I am going to get her....an Instant Pot. She has told me multiple times over the past couple of months that she would really like one. With that being said, I will takes parts of what many of you suggested.

My graduation is the day before Mother's Day. Do i give this as a Graduation/Mother's Day gift? It will be over $100 and we are on a med school budget, i.e. living on student loans. Good idea or bad idea?
If you think you will be able to afford it, then I say that sounds lovely. Go for it.

My graduation is the day before Mother's Day. Do i give this as a combined Graduation/Mother's Day gift? It will be over $100 and we are on a med school budget, i.e. living on student loans. Good idea or bad idea to give it as a combined gift?
Your wife would seriously love you. Make sure to find a bunch of recipes to try as well and maybe cook the first one together. I have one and I have said it before somewhere on here that my instant pot is the only reason my husband and I eat somewhat healthy during medical school. It is also great if you are moving because you can get rid of your crockpot and rice cooker as the instant pot has both of those features and more.

Your wife would seriously love you. Make sure to find a bunch of recipes to try as well and maybe cook the first one together. I have one and I have said it before somewhere on here that my instant pot is the only reason my husband and I eat somewhat healthy during medical school. It is also great if you are moving because you can get rid of your crockpot and rice cooker as the instant pot has both of those features and more.

Seconded! You guys should totes cook together!

Or how about this. You get the instant pot. And then YOU cook for her with it. That way she actually gets something she can immediately enjoy and feels heartfelt (you cooking) AND a gift that will last long term (the pot).

I like to cook, so when I'm home I do most of the cooking anyway. This is for when I'm not home and to help make her life easier with four little ones to take care of while I'm at the hospital.

If you know she wants it and you do it as a combined present I think that's fine, since she understands you're both on a budget, but have something little for her to open on the second event too. (Source: am a married female, have agreed or initiated the "let's give each other one big thing" plan in the past because both of our birthdays aren't long before Christmas, am always slightly disappointed when I don't have anything to open later). A sappy card would likely suffice.

Just to let you all know, the instant pot went over very well.

Start with a cheesy, hand written card. Women love those darned things.

As a married man I concur with the above.
Say what you mean in a hand written note.
For bonus points, make the card yourself.
Also, get down with household duties for a solid week. And try your hand at making dinner for 2 with no children in sight.
If you are DO put your skillz to work on her back. If MD just fake it and do it anyway.

Flowers, lots of them.

Chocolates, too.
All these men are good men.