Graduated, now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureMD4294

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: So i graduated from University of Georgia, and I have a cumulative GPA of 3.60 and a science GPA of 3.43. I have 1 year of research experience, 200 hours of volunteering, 100 hours of shadowing, and 500 hours of working as a Operating Room Assistant.

The Dilemma: If I take three more science classes, I will have a 3.5 science GPA. I have one more year before applying to medical school, and I still have to take my MCAT (planning for January). I need help deciding what my plan, going forward should be. I was recently offered a job, and this is what I plan on doing:

My current plan:
September -->December: Full time Scribe/Ophthalmic Assistant job all year + MCAT prep (only September-mid January) -
Late January-->early May: Same full time job + 1 evening class
June: Apply to Medical School with 3.61 cum and 3.46 science GPA
Late May-->July: Take some time off work and take 2 summer classes
August: Update summer course transcripts to update my science GPA to 3.5

Alternate plan:
September --> December: Take 2 classes and study for MCAT
January--> May: Find part time job and take more 1 or 2 classes
June: Apply to Medical School with 3.64 cum and 3.5 science GPA

Members don't see this ad.

Background: So i graduated from University of Georgia, and I have a cumulative GPA of 3.60 and a science GPA of 3.43. I have 1 year of research experience, 200 hours of volunteering, 100 hours of shadowing, and 500 hours of working as a Operating Room Assistant.

The Dilemma: If I take three more science classes, I will have a 3.5 science GPA. I have one more year before applying to medical school, and I still have to take my MCAT (planning for January). I need help deciding what my plan, going forward should be. I was recently offered a job, and this is what I plan on doing:

My current plan:
September -->December: Full time Scribe/Ophthalmic Assistant job all year + MCAT prep (only September-mid January) -

Alternate plan:

Either are well thought out and viable; to me, it comes down to whether or not you would enjoy this job.

I've seen a lot of adcoms on here say it raises an eyebrow if you're just a part time student while studying for the MCAT. If you can pull it off, I think option 1 is your best bet. You'll have tons more clinical exposure (not to mention cash) and that will matter for your app, in addition to showing you can handle a full work/study load.

Good luck op!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Either are well thought out and viable; to me, it comes down to whether or not you would enjoy this job.

I've seen a lot of adcoms on here say it raises an eyebrow if you're just a part time student while studying for the MCAT. If you can pull it off, I think option 1 is your best bet. You'll have tons more clinical exposure (not to mention cash) and that will matter for your app, in addition to showing you can handle a full work/study load.

Good luck op!
hmm makes sense, I feel like 4.5 months of full time work and MCAT are very doable, but I just don't want schools to see my <3.5 GPA. Am I over reacting?

My current plan:

Alternate plan:
I think as of right now, your GPAs are fine for MGC and Mercer.

You're in a marathon now, not a sprint. So I suggest working and then taking two courses part time in the Fall, then take MCAT sometime in Spring of 2018.

hmm makes sense, I feel like 4.5 months of full time work and MCAT are very doable, but I just don't want schools to see my <3.5 GPA. Am I over reacting?

Your GPAs aren't great but they are definitely not deal breakers. A strong MCAT and good overall application and I think you'll have a chance to be successful at MD schools and all DO.

Reactions: 1 user
I think as of right now, your GPAs are fine for MGC and Mercer.

You're in a marathon now, not a sprint. So I suggest working and then taking two courses part time in the Fall, then take MCAT sometime in Spring of 2018.

Hmmm but don't you think 2 courses will be hard to handle with a 9-5 job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck op!

Is this really true? what if an applicant is also volunteering, doing research etc during that time? Also, how do adcoms know if it is part time or full time? Don't you just have to put in the number of total hours in AMCAS?

Is this really true? what if an applicant is also volunteering, doing research etc during that time? Also, how do adcoms know if it is part time or full time? Don't you just have to put in the number of total hours in AMCAS?

Well lucky for us there is an adcom in this thread so hopefully he can weigh in. I have seen them say that it's best if you're full time and taking classes. With that said I was only part time and have gotten several II so it might not be the end all be all but I do think that that kind of schedule demonstrates effectively that you have the potential to handle the med school courseload.

I think you'll be fine either way OP. Adding those classes is a bonus but right now if it were me I would just begin working and studying for the MCAT.

EDIT: OP I was in a similar situation, I have lower GPAs and have received IIs from DO and MD this cycle. Obviously needs to play out but the biggest thing for me has been a strong MCAT score. This should be your focus. Your GPAs are OK.

It doesn't matter if you are part time or a full time student when taking the MCAT. Most people take the MCAT during the summer anyways when they are not taking any classes at all.

Well lucky for us there is an adcom in this thread so hopefully he can weigh in. I have seen them say that it's best if you're full time and taking classes. With that said I was only part time and have gotten several II so it might not be the end all be all but I do think that that kind of schedule demonstrates effectively that you have the potential to handle the med school courseload.

I think you'll be fine either way OP. Adding those classes is a bonus but right now if it were me I would just begin working and studying for the MCAT.

EDIT: OP I was in a similar situation, I have lower GPAs and have received IIs from DO and MD this cycle. Obviously needs to play out but the biggest thing for me has been a strong MCAT score. This should be your focus. Your GPAs are OK.

If you don't mind, what were your GPAs??

If you don't mind, what were your GPAs??

3.54 cGPA 3.38 sGPA 514 MCAT. Strong ECs and LORs. Worked a clinical job for 9 months while taking night classes and MCAT prep in a similar situation as yours.

Reactions: 1 users
3.54 cGPA 3.38 sGPA 514 MCAT. Strong ECs and LORs. Worked a clinical job for 9 months while taking night classes and MCAT prep in a similar situation as yours.

Dope dude. Congrats. You give So much hope.

Did you work full time?

We can see your transcripts. This tells if you're full time or part time

Did you work full time?

No I was part time 3rd shift overnights. Worked out in the end given my MCAT performance but if you can swing it, full time is better. I augmented with DO shadowing and volunteering in an underserved clinic.

Grades and MCAT score come first though.

We can see your transcripts. This tells if you're full time or part time

That's true, but still, after an applicant graduates they could do any type of work. Part-time scribing, full-time scribing, volunteering, research etc. On the AMCAS application, adcoms only see the total number of hours. How would you know if it was full time or part time unless you specifically ask the applicant?

That's true, but still, after an applicant graduates they could do any type of work. Part-time scribing, full-time scribing, volunteering, research etc. On the AMCAS application, adcoms only see the total number of hours. How would you know if it was full time or part time unless you specifically ask the applicant?

Because you have to put start and stop dates. So for example, if one worked say 500 hours from october to june, they're gonna know this was clearly a part time job.

Additionally, on the AACOMAS app you literally have to select from volunteer, part time, full time, and a few other options.

Reactions: 1 user
Because you have to put start and stop dates. So for example, if one worked say 500 hours from october to june, they're gonna know this was clearly a part time job.

Additionally, on the AACOMAS app you literally have to select from volunteer, part time, full time, and a few other options.

Okay, that makes sense...I wasn't sure if adcoms look so closely at that kind of stuff. I feel like if an applicant was working part-time, volunteering and also doing research while studying for the MCAT, it would be fine though...the last two may not necessarily pay anything, but they still take time and energy. What do you think @Goro?