Grade transformation in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentister

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to ask the current dental fellows how your undergraduate grades translate into rank in dental school. As I know, it quite depends on personal dedication and possible environmental effect, but I do believe there is some correlation between undergraduate and graduate study, just like there's correlation between DAT and board I score.
If you could take some time to contribute some information to this thread, I'm sure many predents will appreciate it a lot, since dental school is still a mystery to many of us.
I know two dental students in person, and below are their stats.

Student A:
Undergraduate Major: Bio
GPA: 3.85 both science and non science
DAT:22
Dental school rank: 11 out of 55
School competitiveness: very
Board I: 96

Student B:
Undergraduate Major: Engineering
GPA: 3.3 non science 3.4 science
DAT:20
Dental school rank: 25 out of 75
School competitiveness: average
Board I: 90

Members don't see this ad.

Undergraduate Major: biology
GPA: 3.35 non science 3.5 science
DAT: 22/20
Dental school rank: 1 out of 100
Board I: N/A

Im only a 1st year, so its way to early to talk about rank. But, I will say that although dental school is loaded with much more work than in college, I will probably get more A's this semester than I did throughout my college career.

College: Washington University
Major: Economics
GPA: 3.08
Science: 2.9
DAT: 21/20/18

Members don't see this ad :)
Rezdawg said:
Im only a 1st year, so its way to early to talk about rank. But, I will say that although dental school is loaded with much more work than in college, I will probably get more A's this semester than I did throughout my college career.

College: Washington University
Major: Economics
GPA: 3.08
Science: 2.9
DAT: 21/20/18

I'm a finance major planning on dental school next year. I noticed that you are an econ. major. How have you found the transition from undergrad. to dental school? Did you feel like you were way behind your classmates or with enough studying were you right there with them? Thanks.

dentister said:
I would like to ask the current dental fellows how your undergraduate grades translate into rank in dental school. As I know, it quite depends on personal dedication and possible environmental effect, but I do believe there is some correlation between undergraduate and graduate study, just like there's correlation between DAT and board I score.
If you could take some time to contribute some information to this thread, I'm sure many predents will appreciate it a lot, since dental school is still a mystery to many of us.
I know two dental students in person, and below are their stats.

Student A:
Undergraduate Major: Bio
GPA: 3.85 both science and non science
DAT:22
Dental school rank: 11 out of 55
School competitiveness: very
Board I: 96

Student B:
Undergraduate Major: Engineering
GPA: 3.3 non science 3.4 science
DAT:20
Dental school rank: 25 out of 75

to be honest, undergrad grades dont mean a thing...take me for example:

undergrad major: Biology
GPA: 2.5..and some change
DAT: 18
Dental School Rank: 51/156
GPA: 88.48

I could be the exception, so who knows...

dentister said:
but I do believe there is some correlation between undergraduate and graduate study

Absolutely not! I had sh1tty grades in undergrad, but that was simply due to lack of effort and discipline. I am a strong believer that if you put your mind and time into it, anyone can get good grades. It's matter of how much you want it!

Now, once we get into grad/professional programs, then everyone is more academically orientated and focused, therefore, bad grades aren't so much an issue.

As the President and CEO of "Under the 3.0 Club", I can personally attest that undergrad performance is not a solid indicator on how you'll do in dental school.

Undergraduate Major: Microbiology (University of Minnesota)
GPA: 2.67 cumulative GPA
DAT:20/23
Dental school rank: 19 out of 106
Dental School GPA: 3.56 (88.19%)

Yah-E said:
Absolutely not! I had sh1tty grades in undergrad, but that was simply due to lack of effort and discipline..........

I totally agree, somehow i just flicked the switch once i started 1st year. I just have my doubts about 2nd year, the boards are going to be a killer. This is totally off topic, but anyone have any good part 1 study strategies? -like how much time to study for it and which subjects to study first and whatnot.

Undergraduate Major: Molecular and Cellular Biology (University of Arizona)
GPA: 3.9 cumulative GPA
DAT:18 (studied one week)
Dental school rank: 16 out of 110
Board I: ? Took it last monday (studied 2 weeks)
Dental School GPA: 3.55

Undergraduate Major: Zoology (Brigham Young)
GPA: 3.7something cumulative and science GPA
DAT:23
Dental school rank: 1(tied) out of 80
Board I: 95 (two weeks of studying)
Dental School GPA: 4.0

The biggest difference I'd say was in undergrad I just worked hard enough to get into the dental school I wanted (UNC)...knowing they weren't regarded as a "number-chasing" program made me feel like I didn't need a 4.0 (which is good, cause I probably couldn't have gotten it then anyways :)). Once in dental school, though, I decided to work harder to be competetive for the residency I wanted to do (ortho).

I think doing well in undergrad can imply that you have potential to do well as a dental student; however, you may have been a superstar undergrad and yet still tank it in dental school (or vice versa)...doing well in dental school IMO is as much about effort and focus as any predeliction to being smart.

it's really up to you how well you wanna do in dental school. me, all i cared about is getting in and passing dental school and learning enough to NOT get sued. Keep your charts clean and learn the tricks from old dentists, do things fast and you will be rolling in the big bucks....

Personally I don't even want to specialize so for me since i have an office waiting for me anyways, I just study what I feel I need to be clinically competent and that's it.

GPA so far 3.7ish...

The students that do very well in dental school and are at the top of the class rankings always seem to be those that:

1. did very very well in undergrad (3.9 + 23AA)
2. did very poorly in undergrad but got high DATs (3.1 + 23AA)

I've always found this to be interesting... motivation plays a far greater role in academic success than most people give it credit for.

Solid scores to earn a periodontology residency and recognized by the American Academy of Periodontology.

The students that do very well in dental school and are at the top of the class rankings always seem to be those that:

1. did very very well in undergrad (3.9 + 23AA)
2. did very poorly in undergrad but got high DATs (3.1 + 23AA)

I've always found this to be interesting... motivation plays a far greater role in academic success than most people give it credit for.

So you think DAT is the best predictor? Interesting...

I was average in college and stepped it up a bit in d school. It depends on what you want to do.

How do you people find these 5 year old threads and why do you post on them? haha

ROFL, I know right? The last post was 6 years ago, and the first response to it was just like the guy said it yesterday. Usually it is a foreigner trying to get board exams or advice for getting into the US, but I don't think that is the case with this one.

so whats your current GPA/class rank?

I don't know, we don't have ranks at Columbia (H/P/F). We are split into three tiers at the end with recommendation letters reflecting that.

But I have honored every class so far :thumbup: