Grade reviews and re-evaluations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rawrsy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm posting here on behalf of my husband, a medical student entering his fourth year.
I've used this forum and similar ones before to get insight and advice.. and am posting now bc I def feel I could use some insight from current students and MDs.

My husband recently went through his Emergency Medicine rotation. He feels his grade does not reflect the reviews he was receiving in person during his rotation, and he felt his performance was better than how he was graded. He wants to ask for a review and change of the grade.

We've done this once before, I helped him in the past with writing a message because I tend to be the writer in the relationship and he the logistical/technical one. His past attempt at this was unsuccessful.. and I am not sure if it is due to how he's asking or approaching the situation? Or if the grade he was given does truly fit.

I know this may not be enough info at first so I am happy to provide more if helpful. As far as I know, he was told during his Emergency rotation that he was doing a great job, but his grade is my understanding an average grade when he thinks it should have been higher.

What are the best ways to ask to get a review of a grade? Is there etiquette maybe he should know about to ask? Email best or asking to speak in person with the person who graded or his advisors?

Again, I know this is light info now and I may get more this evening when discussing with him. Thank you all for any insight you can provide. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. I'm posting here on behalf of my husband, a medical student entering his fourth year.
I've used this forum and similar ones before to get insight and advice.. and am posting now bc I def feel I could use some insight from current students and MDs.

My husband recently went through his Emergency Medicine rotation. He feels his grade does not reflect the reviews he was receiving in person during his rotation, and he felt his performance was better than how he was graded. He wants to ask for a review and change of the grade.

We've done this once before, I helped him in the past with writing a message because I tend to be the writer in the relationship and he the logistical/technical one. His past attempt at this was unsuccessful.. and I am not sure if it is due to how he's asking or approaching the situation? Or if the grade he was given does truly fit.

I know this may not be enough info at first so I am happy to provide more if helpful. As far as I know, he was told during his Emergency rotation that he was doing a great job, but his grade is my understanding an average grade when he thinks it should have been higher.

What are the best ways to ask to get a review of a grade? Is there etiquette maybe he should know about to ask? Email best or asking to speak in person with the person who graded or his advisors?

Again, I know this is light info now and I may get more this evening when discussing with him. Thank you all for any insight you can provide. :)

If the only thing that he is going off is that, "He felt his performance was better than how he was graded," then a grade change will not be successful. Was he discriminated against? Was he physically abused? Was he accused of something that he didn't do like being intoxicated? Those are the things that warrant grade changes. If it was that easy to change a grade I would contest every negative evaluation I receive. The system doesn't work like that.

If this was a one-time incident and there was legitimate reason, then sure appeal it. But it seems, given your past failed-attempt to appeal, that your husband just can't take fault for his own shortcomings. Man up and take responsibility, work harder and improve.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
he was told during his Emergency rotation that he was doing a great job, but his grade is my understanding an average grade
This is ridiculous. I doubt he'd get a grade change based on this.

This is ridiculous. I doubt he'd get a grade change based on this.

Most medical students lack accurate insight into how others think of them. It's very common for students to come out of a rotation with the Donald Trump esque "they LOVED me" and get slammed with an average eval.

Reactions: 1 user