Grad school essay HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpark012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,
i need some help with my grad. school essay for photographic preservation program. Here's what i have so far...
Any advices or corrections are welcome pleaseeee!!

Critical eye for details and motivation, two major skills I horned towards achieving my BA degree in Communications. It was Professor George' image & communication class in my sophomore year when he showed us the slide of 9/11 photos, I first encountered with this highly visual world we live in. Later followed a sequence of Communication courses where I learned to apply theories to practice such as interpreting images in magazine ads and commercials. Towards my final year of studies, I became more interested in the media aspect of communication and thus, took a year-long video production courses.

For the duration of five months, we pitched, shot and edited a 10 minute promo-documentary in which we were lucky enough to sponsor ABC's cross-country fundraising project. While using different lighting skills for various interview scenes, I became more interested in cinematography which is really only an extension of photography. This year long video classes prepared me to obtain well-rounded knowledge from actual filmmaking to business aspect of production and everything in between. I think filmmaking is similar to the work of a researcher as it demands one's detail-orientedness and determination.

During my final year of university, I took a semester long student exchange program in Europe where I had the chance to visit the world's most renown art institutions holding the greatest work of art. If my eyes have the qualities of art dealer, I have the heart of an artist. I love to do creative work which led me to pursue my film career and to volunteer at festivals.

Working as an intern at the world famous film festival in London for one month following graduation, I took the chance to watch over 30 films at Europe's one of the most famous art facility in London. Having extensive interest in cinematography, I've always paid extra attention to visual effects used in cinema, not to mention its context in which images are interpreted. For me, cinematography is like photography, window to the artist's soul in which one communicates to its spectators through images. Working as sound operator for Charlie's documentary, Quiet monsters, I once again had the chance to watch up-close the work of France's five most famous film directors including Jean Pare who is most famous for using extreme graphics in his award-winning films.

With passion and determination, I feel that I'm ready to enter the renown class of Photographic Preservation & Management at Ryerson. My primary aspiration in life is to obtain a master's degree in photographic preservation & collections management and, ultimately, become a curator at the world's famous art institutions like British Museum or The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. Achieving a master's degree from Ryerson will be a major step toward my aspirations and goals in life. Aside from having an excellent art school with its one-of a kind program in photographic preservation, the institution has produced many curators and archivists working in the field. This falls right in line with my goal.

Members don't see this ad.