gpas weighed differently according to major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

I feel liked I worked my butt of for my good gpa in electrical engineering. I think it should deserve more weight than the same gpa in biology. Is this reasoning reasonable to assume among the adcoms?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. Both sciences, both well-recognized majors. Compared with a major in communications with a thesis on "Sitcoms of the '70s," maybe. (And I apologize in advance to all the communications majors out there.)

Members don't see this ad :)
purpledoc said:
Nope. Both sciences, both well-recognized majors. Compared with a major in communications with a thesis on "Sitcoms of the '70s," maybe. (And I apologize in advance to all the communications majors out there.)

hahaha...mass communications was uber-hard, I don't know how it is at your school, but for print journalism the amount of editing and reporting classes you take have you working almost as much as you did for orgo (at least in my case...)...we don't have a thesis tho...

Chankovsky said:
I feel liked I worked my butt of for my good gpa in electrical engineering. I think it should deserve more weight than the same gpa in biology. Is this reasoning reasonable to assume among the adcoms?
Look at it this way - you have a marketable set of skills that would be useful if the med school thing doesn't work this year.

Chankovsky said:

ADCOMs will certainly note your success in a notoriously difficult major. But no matter what you did in your undergraduate years, the classes that will count most are your BCPM classes. Period.

It might give you the nod over a lowly biology major with the same stats at a similar institution, but they won't be adding any points to your GPA as an equalizer. But ADCOMS aren't stupid, they can figure out how much grades mean.