GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

Discussion in 'Occupational Therapy [ O.T.D ]' started by Elbrus, Jan 26, 2009.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. 90sOT

90sOT

Nov 3, 2016

NPULFC and MrTL like this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. MrTL

MrTL

Feb 4, 2017
    Good advice 90sOT.

What's funny is that I noticed a lot of people who applied to both UIC and Rush... if they didn't get into one, they got into the other (if they weren't dismissed by both). Makes me wonder if they look for a certain type of student...

cns93 likes this.
  4. OThopeful43092

OThopeful43092

Sep 29, 2016
    Final Update! I was originally Rejected from University of Florida in March and by a totally crazy unexpected change just got an email on Friday saying they have an opening for me! Over the moon! GO GATORS! :clap:

University:
    University of Florida
    Major/Minor: B.A. Political Science (cum laude)
    Upper Division (last 60 credits) GPA: 3.8
    OTCAS GPA 3.7
    Pre-req GPA: 3.7
    GRE: 153 V 147 Q ( ugh) 4.5 AW
    Observation Hours: 24 inpatient at a hospital ICU, 120 at an outpatient Rehabilitation/hand therapy clinic, 34 both inpatient/outpatient hospital (Inpatient dealt with post op, oncology etc), ~25 hours in a nursing facility (geriatrics), ~20 hours in a Rehabilitation hospital
    220+ hours total

Volunteer: Homeless shelter, ICYE volunteer aborad in Costa Ria in a children's community center, Literacy council tutor, Food bank kitchens, Circle K Kiwanis, Greek philanthropies (Girl Scouts of America etc)
    Work experience: OT Aide at Outpatient Rehab, OT/PT Rehab Technician, Literacy Citizenship Test Tutor, Intern at a US Congressional Office, Legal intern at a Law Firm, various other restaraunt jobs all throughout college
    Other extracurriculars: Division III Cross Country/Track, KD Sorority Sister, Legal Honor Society Inductee, Triathlon team, College Dem political club, Political Phone bank sponser
    Awards: Midwest All Conference Academic Team, Certificate of Congressional recognition, Dean's List and/or President's list at each college I attended, graduated with cum laude honors from UF

Schools Applied to:
    Nova Southeastern University, Midwestern (Glendale AZ), Chatham U, University of Florida, East Carolina U, Phildelphia U, Tennessee State, Carroll University, Davenport U, Springfield College, Winston Salem State U, U Alabama Birmingham, U Central Arkansas, Milligan College, Towson U
    Interviews: Milligan College (declined), Nova Southeastern (10/12) Midwestern U (Arizona) (1/21) Chatham U (11/19), U St. Augustine, Towson U (declined), Tenn State (Declined), U Alabama Birmingham (declined)
    Acceptances: Nova Southeastern, Philadelphia U, U St. Augustine, (2/2/17) Davenport U,(4/2/17) Carroll U, (3/23) University of Florida (4/14)
    Waitlists: Chatham U, Winston Salem State
    Rejections: Eastern Carolina, U Central Arkansas PHD OT program, Springfield College (Accidentally didn't take one of their pre reqs)
    Attending: UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA!!!:soexcited:

2beOT, MrTL, wannabeOT2 and 2 others like this.
  5. OThopeful43092

OThopeful43092

Sep 29, 2016
    Will be giving up my spot at NOVA to some other deserving student!:)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  6. othopeful93

othopeful93

Feb 1, 2016
    I pulled myself off Rush's waitlist in February and just got notified I was accepted...having a bit of a mid semester crises so it's tempting, but I will be re notifying them I am not attending so those still waiting on Rush, they are still looking!

7. otlove23

otlove23

Feb 27, 2017
    Anyone on the NYU waitlist heard anything back?

8. AspiringOT1218

AspiringOT1218

Jan 3, 2017
    To follow that, has anyone on the Pitt waitlist heard anything back?

9. PuppyloverOT

PuppyloverOT

Feb 7, 2017
    I am giving up my spot in the class this week so at least one seat is opening up!

10. uark17

uark17

Apr 17, 2017
    Has anyone been accepted to Temple or waitlisted and then accepted and have any recommendations? They told me I was waitlisted about a month ago and I wasn't sure of the odds of getting in at this point. I have heard that it is good to be persistent with them, but I don't know how much is too much or what to say exactly.

11. AspiringOT1218

AspiringOT1218

Jan 3, 2017
    I just received my acceptance off of the waitlist this afternoon! SO excited! :) Good luck to you wherever you end up going!

12. PuppyloverOT

PuppyloverOT

Feb 7, 2017
    Best of luck! Pittsburgh is an awesome city and Pitt is a good research school. Thanks!

13. MOTmking

MOTmking

Jan 4, 2017
    Has anyone on here that's been accepted to Nova's MOT not found a place to live yet? I just found out I got in off of the high hold list. I have already committed to another program but Nova is really my dream school. I am from New York so I would be totally starting over in 3 weeks lol so I figured finding a roommate would be my first step.

14. aiwalker7

aiwalker7

Mar 21, 2017
    Hey I am renting a room for the summer from the Nova Housing Website, have you joined the Facebook group. I think there were a couple people looking for roommates on there! Message me if you need some more info on it!

15. mdOT17

mdOT17

Jul 24, 2016
    I found out that I got off the waitlist this morning for Emory and Henry! can't wait!! Where are my other E&H folk?? :)

16. _OThopeful_

_OThopeful_

Oct 25, 2016
    UPDATE!!

University: UC Davis
    Major: Human Development
    Overall GPA: 3.99
    Pre-Req GPA: 3.97
    GRE: 164 V, 154 Q, 5 AW

Extra-Curric: Work as a paraeducator at elementary school, internship at preschool/experience 1:1 with boy with autism, research assistant in aging/cognition lab and lab studying autism, VP/founding officer of pre-OT club, Arts-Music-Inspire club member (we did art/music with kids in hospitals and group homes), Davis Aggie Lions club member (community service), patient care volunteer with hospice organization, assistant riding instructor at equestrian therapy center (3 years, provided riding lessons to kids and adults with disabilities)

Volunteer/Shadowing: 202 total with 94 in skilled nursing, 24 in outpatient peds, 42 in elementary school, 42 in hospital/acute rehab

Applying: USC, Stanbridge College, St. Catherine University, College of St. Scholastica, University of Minnesota (Rochester), University of South Dakota (I have family all over and will go anywhere that accepts me!!)

Acceptances: USC, Stanbridge, St. Catherine, College of St. Scholastica (will be attending!)

Rejections:

Interviews: Stanbridge (01/27), University of South Dakota (Declined)

Waitlist: University of Minnesota (Rochester)

I definitely have a few (more than a few) gray hairs after this process. I am so thankful to have gotten into some great programs and have a new place to call home in the fall as I embark on my journey to become an OT. My advice to people applying/on this forum - believe in yourself!!! :)

futureOTforkids likes this.