GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
University: University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
Major: Athletic Training
Overall GPA: 3.66
Pre-Req GPA: 3.15
GRE: V: 156, Q: 152, AW: 4.5
Observation Hours: 400 across two settings. I also have 1200 hands on athletic training clinical experience hours.

Extra-Curric: Anatomy lab tutor, undergraduate research on the Lower Extremity Functional Test, student senator rep to state organization, internship with the Green Bay Packers, internship with Athletes in Action, Pre-PT club, church volunteer, guest services co-worker at Kwik Trip.

Applying: Midwestern-Glendale (ED), UW-La Crosse, Clarke University, Tennessee State University, UW-Milwaukee, Hampton, A.T Still, Rosalind Franklin, University of New England

Interviewed:

Rejected:

Accepted:

Members don't see this ad.

Undergrad cum. GPA: 3.69
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
Major: Psychology
Observation hours: 35 hours outpatient, 20 hours inpatient at Vanderbilt

Applying: Tennessee State University, Belmont University

I'm deciding between TSU and Belmont for Early Decision.. I don't know which! Any opinions or insight based on my stats? What do y'all think? I think Belmont is more competitive.

Majors: Biology and Athletic Training (completing both in 3 years)
Prereq and Overall GPA: 3.98
GRE: 151Q, 157V, 4.5W
Observation:200 in outpatient, SNF, inpatient, sports, and women's health; 400 hours in athletic training room (I know this doesn't count for PT school)

Xtras: Special Olympics, RA, Big Brothers and Big Sisters, anatomy lab TA, worked all through school, Sunday school teacher, Lions Club, school tour assistant~200 hours

Applying: AT Still, Midwestern Glendale, Loma Linda, Chapman, Fresno State, Sac State, UNLV, Touro, Regis, Montana

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Undergraduate: Biology
Overall (Undergrad) GPA: 4.0
Graduate: Molecular and Cellular Biology (will obtain a Masters)
Overall (Graduate) GPA: 4.0
GRE: 157, 158, 5.0

Work Experience: Agronomy Research Assistant (5 years), Undergraduate Biochemistry Research Assistant (2 years), Graduate Molecular and Cellular Biology Research Assistant (3 years), Anatomy and Physiology Teaching Assistant (4 semesters), Biochemistry Teaching Assistant (1 semester)
Extracurricular: NAIA Track & Field Athlete, NAIA Volleyball Athlete, Volunteer Statistician, Research & Scholarship Council Representative, Biomedical Research Camp Coordinator, Missions Trip to Jamaica, Admissions Committee Representative, Training Grant Committee Representative, Association of Multicultural Scientists, Pre-PT Club
Observation Hours: 75 Outpatient Orthopedics/Sport Therapy, 78 Outpatient Vestibular/Orthopedics, 16 Outpatient Pediatrics/Neuro, 11 Outpatient VA Hospital, 8 Inpatient Cardiopulmonary, 39 Inpatient Geriatric
Letters of Recommendation:
(1) Physical Therapist (x2)
(2) Undergraduate Professor
(3) Graduate Research Mentor

Applying to: University of Iowa, St. Ambrose University, Washington University St. Louis, University of Montana (Missoula), University of Washington, University of Puget Sound, Eastern Washington University

My concern is explaining why I want to leave a career in research. Ultimately, I found that I am most fulfilled when working one-on-on with individuals to help them reach their goals. However, many professors who conduct interviews have active research programs, so I want to be careful not to offend anyone.

Reactions: 2 users
University: UCLA
Major: Biochemistry
Minor: LGBT Studies
Overall GPA: 3.4
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.6
GRE: 162 Verbal, 162 Quant, 5.0 Writing

Observation Hours: 400 (outpatient private practice as aide), 80 (outpatient hospital), 50 (inpatient)

Extra-Curric: UCLA Marching Band (4 years), Leadership in non-profit health org that operates a monthly medical clinic in Mexico (3 years), Restaurant Server, Studied Abroad in Spain, various other health-related volunteering/outreach/research

LORs: 2 PTs, 1 employer at restaurant, and 1 professor in LGBT studies (cautiously optimistic that all would be strong letters)

Applying to: USC, UCSF/SFSU, SD State, Northridge, UOP, Samuel Merritt, NY Medical College, Columbia, Temple, Boston University, U Wash, UIC, Northwestern, Touro (Nevada)

E-Submit: Planning to by Aug 8th

Verified:

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews:

I guess it's not official to feel like you are applying until you make one of these type of posts LOL! Remember the college confidential days??? :laugh:Anyhow, I am stoked and hopeful about this year's cycle. Still in the process of receiving LORs and writing personal statement but will soon submit afterwards. Best of luck to all applicants!

University: Simpson College
Majors: Athletic Training and Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.3
Pre-Req GPA: 3.0-3.1
GRE: 148 Verbal, 150 Quant, 3.0 Writing

Observation Hours: 250+ in outpatient and peds (worked as a PT tech), and then a few hours in acute care, also 1,000+ hours of clinical athletic training (even though it doesn't count for PT observation hours)

Extra-Curric: Athletic Training Club (3 years), Exercise Science Club (4 years), Athletic Training UGA (2 years), Student Ambassador (4 years), Pi Beta Phi Sorority: New member coordinator, membership chair, health and wellness chair. Panhellenic Vice President of Recruitment, Panhellenic President. Phi Epsilon Kappa Fraternity for Health Sciences- founding member. 3 symposium research presentations (2 posters, 1 oral), in the process of publishing the manuscript for the oral presentation over independent research. Over 500+ hours of volunteer work for Read>Lead>Achieve, First Book, Special Olympics of Iowa, Ronald McDonald house, Breast Cancer awareness, etc. 8 mission trips in the US and then worked for the mission trip organization for a year overseeing an additional 4 mission trips.

LORs: 1 PT, Athletic Training Department Head and my clinical rotation supervisor, my academic advisor/professor, and my professor who oversaw my independent research.

Applying to: ED to Armstrong State, then University of St. Augustine, South College, PCOM-Georgia Campus.

E-Submit: July 20th.

Verified: July 24th.

Interviews: Armstrong State (ED)

ACCEPTED: ARMSTRONG STATE

Last edited:
University: Simpson College
Majors: Athletic Training and Exercise Science
Pre-Req GPA: 3.0-3.1
GRE: 148 Verbal, 150 Quant, 3.0 Writing

Observation Hours: 250+ in outpatient and peds (worked as a PT tech), and then a few hours in acute care, also 1,000+ hours of clinical athletic training (even though it doesn't count for PT observation hours)

Extra-Curric: Athletic Training Club (3 years), Exercise Science Club (4 years), Athletic Training UGA (2 years), Student Ambassador (4 years), Pi Beta Phi Sorority: New member coordinator, membership chair, health and wellness chair. Panhellenic Vice President of Recruitment, Panhellenic President. Phi Epsilon Kappa Fraternity for Health Sciences- founding member. 3 symposium research presentations (2 posters, 1 oral), in the process of publishing the manuscript for the oral presentation over independent research. Over 500+ hours of volunteer work for Read>Lead>Achieve, First Book, Special Olympics of Iowa, Ronald McDonald house, Breast Cancer awareness, etc. 8 mission trips in the US and then worked for the mission trip organization for a year overseeing an additional 4 mission trips.

LORs: 1 PT, Athletic Training Department Head and my clinical rotation supervisor, my academic advisor/professor, and my professor who oversaw my independent research.

Applying to: ED to Armstrong State, then University of St. Augustine, South College, PCOM-Georgia Campus.

E-Submit: Planning to by July 20th.

Verified:

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews:
Hopefully you get into Armstrong State. I lived in Savannah for 6 years and loved every minute of it. Good luck.

University: Eastern Washington University
Majors: Biology
Overall GPA: 3.56
Pre-Req GPA: 3.50-3.73
GRE: 157 Verbal, 162 Quant, 4.0 Writing

Observation Hours: 40 SNF, 16 Acute inpatient, 70 Occupational Orthopedic, 50 Free-standing Outpatient

Experiences: 3 years working retail, High School speech and debate coach, Provided Humanitarian medical aid in Costa Rica, Cadaver Lab TA, Undergraduate Toxicology Research, Co-authored presentation at the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 7th World Congress.

LORs: 2PT, Professor in major, employer

Applying To:
ASU, AT Still, Rosalind Franklin, Shenandoah, TWU, UNLV, UTSA, UTEP, UTMBG, UTSMBD, UW, WCU, Texas Tech, Touro Nevada

E-Submit: Not yet, working on my essays!

Hey guys,

I am wondering if schools care about where you went to undergrad. I currently have a 3.1 at James Madison U which is not the greatest, while some of my friends have a 3.5-3.8 but at a smaller and "easier" school. Would a lower gpa at a better institution be better than getting a high gpa at a college where it's easy to do good?

No. GPA is GPA. PT schools don't really care where you got your high or low GPA from they just care about the number. www.facebook.com/thepreptgrind/

Undergraduate: Biology
Overall (Undergrad) GPA: 4.0
Graduate: Molecular and Cellular Biology (will obtain a Masters)
Overall (Graduate) GPA: 4.0
GRE: 157, 158, 5.0

Work Experience: Agronomy Research Assistant (5 years), Undergraduate Biochemistry Research Assistant (2 years), Graduate Molecular and Cellular Biology Research Assistant (3 years), Anatomy and Physiology Teaching Assistant (4 semesters), Biochemistry Teaching Assistant (1 semester)
Extracurricular: NAIA Track & Field Athlete, NAIA Volleyball Athlete, Volunteer Statistician, Research & Scholarship Council Representative, Biomedical Research Camp Coordinator, Missions Trip to Jamaica, Admissions Committee Representative, Training Grant Committee Representative, Association of Multicultural Scientists, Pre-PT Club
Observation Hours: 75 Outpatient Orthopedics/Sport Therapy, 78 Outpatient Vestibular/Orthopedics, 16 Outpatient Pediatrics/Neuro, 11 Outpatient VA Hospital, 8 Inpatient Cardiopulmonary, 39 Inpatient Geriatric
Letters of Recommendation:
(1) Physical Therapist (x2)
(2) Undergraduate Professor
(3) Graduate Research Mentor

Applying to: University of Iowa, St. Ambrose University, Washington University St. Louis, University of Montana (Missoula), University of Washington, University of Puget Sound, Eastern Washington University

My concern is explaining why I want to leave a career in research. Ultimately, I found that I am most fulfilled when working one-on-on with individuals to help them reach their goals. However, many professors who conduct interviews have active research programs, so I want to be careful not to offend anyone.

You can incorporate your background in research in your application and interviews. You can say that since you have expertise in research you can bring value to their program in that way. You can also explain that you can use your research background to help move the profession forward in that way as well as feeling self satisfied by working with patients. "PT embodies my passion and my skill set"

school: CUNY graduating December 2017
cum undergrad gpa: 3.86
major gpa:
Prereq gpa: 3.8-4.0 have not completed physics II, and depends on which classes
Biology major, chemistry minor
GRE: V163 Q159 A4.5
volunteer: 120+ total/ 69 hrs school for kids with brain injury, 48 hrs outpatient, 18 hrs and continuing at hospital inpatient and outpatient
Extra: Organic Chemistry tutor and team teacher, volunteer at local charities, soup kitchens, other work experience including elderly care and personal caregiver for lady with cerebral palsy
LORs: Organic chem prof, PT from the school, professor who runs the tutoring center where I work

I am planning to apply ED to Duke. then i will see what happens and apply to more schools....

The application opens tomorrow!! I am so nervous and worried, because I guess it is too late to change anything. I feel confident and then I read more and do more research and start freaking out. I am worried about the application, like how long does it take to fill out, all the paperwork needed to get my transcript, GRE scores etc. Do you guys have any advice?

My school does not have a Pre-PT club or any thing, so I am basically figuring this out on my own. I only know of one other student at my school who is on the pre-pt track, but he is only starting, so I need some advise, which is why I just joined this forum today. Also all the PTs i know went to school and got their degrees when it was still bachelors or masters, so they all tell me they dont know how this thing works now :(

Soo many students in your same position just like I was. It's super stressful trying to figure it out on your own. Theres a facebook group with a community of students, DPT students, and DPTs to help with this crazy process. We hope to see you inside! www.facebook.com/groups/predptstudents/

Hi! I am so excited to finally be applying. As I keep reading other applicant's stats, I'm getting more nervous. I plan to apply to Duke ED and I feel like my GPA is a bit low compared to others that I am seeing. I have spent a lot of time in the field and I have been very involved on my campus. Will those things make much of a difference? Does anyone have any advice?

University: Oakland University
Major: Health Science Pre-PT, Exercise Science Minor
GPA: 3.8
Pre Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 164V 155Q 4A

Hours: 1885 hrs - 30 inpatient rehab, 30 acute, 65 special needs pediatrics, 1760 outpatient clinic
LOR - PT I volunteered with, PT who I researched with and is DPT faculty at my university, Dean of Honors College, Anatomy Professor

Extra-Curric: Pre-PT Club (Vice President), Honors College, Alpha Lambda Delta Honors Society, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, Sunday School Teacher, Anatomy Lab Teaching Assistant, Honors College Teaching Assistant, Admissions Ambassador, Orientation Group Leader, Physics Grader, Physical Therapy Tech, Swim Instructor, Nightwatch (housing job), OUCARES (volunteering to run programs for people with autism)

Applying: Duke ED, Emory, Oakland University, UM Flint

Whoa you have GREAT stats. I know 2 students going to Duke who are in this group Log into Facebook | Facebook

UPDATE!!!

Hey guys! Here are my stats!

University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
Overall GPA: 3.87
Science GPA: 3.88
Science & Math GPA: 3.91
GRE: 152V 151Q 4A

Observation Hours: 51 outpatient pediatric clinic, 84 inpatient rehabilitation hospital/acute care facility

LOR: Physical Therapist (x2), Employer, Hospital Administrator

Extra-Curriculars: University Rehab Club, 2 organizations that hold events for children with disabilities and their families, association for promoting health care to low income areas, Special Olympics, employed as a Pharmacy Technician (I have this job because it pays really well and I graduated high school with this certificate!)

Applying to: UTMB, UTHSCSA, Texas State, and TWU

Interviews: UTMB (09/15)
Accepted: UTMB (09/19)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
University: University of North Georgia
Major: Biology & A.S. in Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.81
Pre-req GPA: ~3.75
GRE: 155/155/4.0

Observation hours: 40 NICU, 100 sports medicine, 50 outpatient ortho, 55 peds neuro/aqua/hippotherapy

Experiences: musician in ministry group, pre PT honor society, college of health professionals Star Student, 4H county president, various jobs through out high school

LORs: 2 PTs

Applying to: UT Chattanooga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I am a 2016 graduate of University of South Carolina (VA resident) and applied to 4 schools (USC, MUSC, Murphy Deming, and ODU) this last 2016-2017 cycle and was rejected from USC and wait listed at MUSC, Murphy Deming, and ODU and ultimately never received admission. I am reaching out to those schools on how to improve my application but also wanted to post in here to get some advice!

University: University of South Carolina
Major: Exercise Science/ Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.23 (Retook two Pre-requisites I got C+ in at community college last year and received As)
GRE: 152 Verbal/ 151 Qualitative (my scores from last August/ thinking I should retake)

Extra-Curric: Exercise Science Club Member (4 years), Competitive/Recreational Gymnastics Coach (5 years), Restaurant Server, employed as PT technician currently

Observation hours: 415 hours outpatient clinic/ 55 hours in patient nursing home/ beginning hours as a PT technician currently

Applying to: MUSC, ODU, Shenandoah, Marymount, UMD Eastern Shore, Lynchburg, VCU (possibly want to add a couple more out of state schools as well)

So I am a 2016 graduate of University of South Carolina (VA resident) and applied to 4 schools (USC, MUSC, Murphy Deming, and ODU) this last 2016-2017 cycle and was rejected from USC and wait listed at MUSC, Murphy Deming, and ODU and ultimately never received admission. I am reaching out to those schools on how to improve my application but also wanted to post in here to get some advice!

University: University of South Carolina
Major: Exercise Science/ Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.23 (Retook two Pre-requisites I got C+ in at community college last year and received As)
GRE: 152 Verbal/ 151 Qualitative (my scores from last August/ thinking I should retake)

Extra-Curric: Exercise Science Club Member (4 years), Competitive/Recreational Gymnastics Coach (5 years), Restaurant Server, employed as PT technician currently

Observation hours: 415 hours outpatient clinic/ 55 hours in patient nursing home/ beginning hours as a PT technician currently

Applying to: MUSC, ODU, Shenandoah, Marymount, UMD Eastern Shore, Lynchburg, VCU (possibly want to add a couple more out of state schools as well)

USC (S Carolina) weighs your stats as follows:
  • GPA (45%)
    • Overall GPA (15%)
    • Pre-req GPA (30%)
  • GRE (55%)
    • Quantitative (20%)
    • Verbal (20%)
    • AW (15%)
As you can see your GRE essay is weighed the same as your cum GPA. So for USC at least, you could benefit a lot from increasing your GRE and doing a few more retakes to get that pre-req GPA up. Bury yourself in Magoosh for a month and it can be done.

Last edited:
USC weighs your stats as follows:
  • GPA (45%)
    • Overall GPA (15%)
    • Pre-req GPA (30%)
  • GRE (55%)
    • Quantitative (20%)
    • Verbal (20%)
    • AW (15%)
As you can see your GRE essay is weighed the same as your cum GPA. So for USC at least, you could benefit a lot from increasing your GRE and doing a few more retakes to get that pre-req GPA up. Bury yourself in Magoosh for a month and it can be done.
That's really great information! How do you know this?

Update: Acceptance and Attendance Update!!!

University: Winthrop University

Major: Exercise Science

Overall GPA: 3.90

Pre-req GPA: ~3.95

GRE: Verbal= 158, Quant= 155, Writing= 4.0

Extra Curricular: YMCA Summer Camp counselor, Resident Assistant for 3 years at WU, Baptist Collegiate Ministry (BCM) small group leader, BCM Lead Team member, Member of Phi Epsilon Kappa Honors Fraternity, Exercise Science club member, 2016-2017 Student Marshall at WU.

Observation hours: 70+ hrs in outpatient ortho, 50+ hrs free-standing outpatient, 10+ hrs outpatient near. (roughly 130-140 outpatient hrs combined). Also have an internship coming up Spring semester where I will receive another 100+ hrs.

Applying to: MUSC, LSU, University of Kentucky, VCU, Augusta University, NOVA University (ft. Lauderdale), University of Tennessee.

Invited to interview: Augusta University (10/27)

Accepted: Augusta University and MUSC

Attending: MUSC!

Last edited:
This application process has been so nerve-wracking! I am glad to finally have my application completed, but now it is time for the waiting game. It is so hard to avoid comparing yourself to other people :/

University:
UNCG
Major: Kinesiology (Sports Medicine Concentration)
Overall GPA: 3.82
Pre-Req GPA: 3.65
GRE: 160V 156Q 3.5AW

Extra-Curricular:
Kinesiology Club, Bronze Leadership Challenge, Kinesiology Commencement Honor Marshall, Club Lacrosse Secretary, Campus Activities Board Member, Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, Employee for my University's Facilities and Game Operations (2+ years), Retail Sales Associate (5+ years), Retail Store Lead/Key holder (new position), Volunteer for a Summer Enrichment Program for refugee and immigrant youth (42 hours), Muscular Dystrophy Association Summer Camp Counselor (144 hours), Muscular Dystrophy Association Muscle Walk Volunteer (8 hours)

Observation:
138 hours [30 outpatient orthopedics, 30 inpatient rehab, 30 geriatrics (SNF/Extended-care facility), and 48 outpatient pediatrics (@ a Duke University Health System location)]

LOR:
Kinesiology professor/academic advisor, Duke DPT alumna (from pediatric location), Duke DPT alumna (from inpatient rehab location)

E-submitted:
8/01
Verified by PTCAS: 8/03

Applied:
Duke (ED)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Major: Physical Education Sports & Fitness
Overall GPA: 3.34
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 164 V 153 Q 3.5 AW

Extra Curricular:

N.A.S.M. Personal Trainer
N.S.C.A. Strength & Conditioning Specialist
Own/operate mobile fitness business (2 years)
Personal Training experience in variety of settings (6 years)
Physical Therapy Tech (3 years)
Capstone internship at local Strength & Conditioning gym

Observation: 2200 outpatient, 100 inpatient at local VA

Applying: Army-Baylor, University of Miami, University of Florida, University of Central Florida, Florida International University, NOVA, University of South Florida
Interviews: University of Miami, Florida International University
Attending:
Waitlist:

Last edited:
UPDATE!!!

Majors:
Biology and Athletic Training (completing both in 3 years)
Observation:200 in outpatient, SNF, inpatient, sports, and women's health; 400 hours in athletic training room (I know this doesn't count for PT school)

Xtras: Special Olympics, RA, Big Brothers and Big Sisters, anatomy lab TA, worked all through school, Sunday school teacher, Lions Club, school tour assistant~200 hours

Applying: AT Still, Midwestern Glendale, Loma Linda, Chapman, Fresno State, Sac State, UNLV, Touro, Regis, Montana

Interview Invites: Midwestern University!!!!

University: Oregon State University
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 4.0
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Didn't take

Observation: 249 outpatient general/ortho @ 2 different clinics, 10 inpatient hospital

Extra Curricular:
Pre-Physical Therapy/Allied Health Club, Walk MS volunteer, IM softball, currently work as PT aide

Applying: Pacific University, George Fox University

I am set on staying in-state for PT school and due to the competitive nature of applying, I know that it is a risk to limit my applications to only 2 schools. I was wondering if anyone had any advice about what I can do now to improve my chances of getting in to either Pacific University (Oregon) or George Fox University? Any specific advice on the interview process or what these schools emphasize for admission?

Last edited:
UPDATE!!!

Majors:
Biology and Athletic Training (completing both in 3 years)

Interview Invites: Midwestern University!!!!
You already have an interview invite? Very cool.

APPLICATIONS GOING IN:

Major- English
Cum GPA- 3.6
GRE- 162 V 148 Q 5.0 AW
Observation- 120 Total: 30 Outpatient, 30 Acute, 30 Skilled Nursing, 30 Private Practice/Sports Performance
Extra Curricular- AmeriCorps Energy Express Mentor, School teacher for 5 years, Sigma Tau Delta International Literary Conference Published Author.

Applying to: WVU, Marshall, Wheeling Jesuit, Chatham

Does anyone have any opinions on my application chances? Any suggestions of another school or two I should put on my application?

APPLICATIONS GOING IN:

Major- English
Cum GPA- 3.6
GRE- 162 V 148 Q 5.0 AW
Observation- 120 Total: 30 Outpatient, 30 Acute, 30 Skilled Nursing, 30 Private Practice/Sports Performance
Extra Curricular- AmeriCorps Energy Express Mentor, School teacher for 5 years, Sigma Tau Delta International Literary Conference Published Author.

Applying to: WVU, Marshall, Wheeling Jesuit, Chatham

Does anyone have any opinions on my application chances? Any suggestions of another school or two I should put on my application?
You have a good chance. I would suggest applying to a couple of more schools though just to be safe.

You have a good chance. I would suggest applying to a couple of more schools though just to be safe.

Forgot to mention in my post that I'll be completing my Physics prereqs during this application cycle. Will that be held against me? The schools I'm applying to allow in-progress prereqs.

Also, any suggestions as to what other schools to look into? I'm from the Appalachian region, so anything in that area.

University: Central Michigan University
Major: Clinical Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.96
Pre-Req GPA: 3.92
GRE: 151V 151Q 4.5AW

Extra-Curricular:
Alternative breaks site leader (week long volunteer trips), Global Brigades Med/Dent participant (volunteered in Darien, Panama setting up a medical clinic), teaching assistant for Intro to the Health Professions, St. Jude Children's Hospital Up Til-Dawn E-board, Pre-physical therapy club, running club, mentor for HS student in Health Careers program, Health Professions Residential College (dorm community member), Nursing home volunteer, local food truck volunteer, office assistant at CMU, tutor for anatomy & physiology

Observation: 125 total: 20 acute in-patient, 105 outpatient in orthopedics, geriatrics, pediatrics, aquatics, sports, and neuro.

LOR:
Pathophysiology professor, academic adviser/professor, PT

E-submitted:
7/21
Verified by PTCAS: 7/24

Applied:
Central Michigan University, Grand Valley State University, University of Michigan-Flint

University: University of Vermont
Majors: Italian Studies (BA) & Exercise and Movement Science (BS) '18
Overall GPA: 3.55 (3.89 from Junior year on)
Prereq: 3.41-3.57
GRE: 159V, 161Q, 5.5W

Volunteer: 200 observation hours in 2 suburban outpatient clinics (~130), 1 rural outpatient (~30), 1 rural hospital (~30), and 1 city nursing home (~10).

Extracurricular: UVM prept club founder and first president, 2 year rugby team treasurer (~60k in assets managed), 2 year rugby captain, working for Delta Air Lines planning and verifying flight payloads, fluent in Italian, competent in Spanish, 4 year rugby player, worked at Subway for 7 years.

LOR: Italian Professor, Outpatient PT, Outpatient PT, Subway Manager

Submitted application on 8/13 to: Creighton University, Washington University in St Louis, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Jamestown, Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions, University of Vermont, College of St Scholastica, Idaho State, Northern Arizona University.

Will post an update later for those curious, good luck to everybody this application cycle!

Just sent in my apps so naturally freaking out...

University: Boston College (2016)
Majors: Biochemistry (BS) and Applied Psychology/Human Development (BS)
Certificate: Specialization in Autism Spectrum Disorders (Fall '17)
Overall GPA: 3.56
Pre-Req GPA: 3.45 (finished some pre-reqs post grad at BC or MGHIHP)
GRE: 160 Q, 161 V, 4.5 AW

Extra-Curric: For the past year (and through the application cycle) I have worked as an aid at the Boston College Campus School which serves students with severe physical, medical, and intellectual disabilities. President of Boston College EMS- over 1000 clinical hours as an EMT. Resident Assistant. Worked at the gym all through undergrad. Research Assistant at Brigham and Women's Hospital (Pain Management) for a summer. Research Assistant at Boston Children's Hospital (Autism Center) for a summer.

Observation: Around 75 hours but will be doing more throughout cycle. ~50 at Campus School, ~25 outpatient aquatic PT.

LOR: BC Dean of Students, Professor from a Grad Class, Boss at Campus School, PT at Campus School

Applied: MGHIHP, Boston University, Northwestern, University of Illinois Chicago, Midwestern (DG).

Updated on 2/11

University: College of Charleston
Overall GPA: 3.57
Pre-Req GPA: varies
Sciences GPA: 3.04
GRE: 161 V, 157 Q, 4.0 AW

Extra-Curric: Treasurer of PT/OT Club, employed all through college (including over 1.5 years at a local hospital)

Observation: 800+ outpatient ortho (paid)

Volunteer: Fitcatz Aquatic and Motor Therapy Program for children with special needs

Schools Applying: Duke, Emory, MUSC, USC, Armstrong State, High Point, Western Carolina, Elon

Acceptances: Armstrong State, MUSC

Rejections: USC

Waitlist: Duke, High Point (withdrew application)

ATTENDING: MUSC!

Interviews: High Point on 10/27, Armstrong State on 12/8, WCU on 12/15 (declined), Emory on 1/19, Elon on 3/2 (declined)

Last edited:
Interview Update!

Texas State University
Overall: 3.82
Last 60: 3.78
Avg Pre Req for all schools applying to: 3.74-3.8
GRE: 150 Q, 144 V, 3 AW (might hurt me, I already retook it and improved only a point on verbal, if anything I'll retake next cycle. I applied to schools that really don't weigh the GRE)

Schools: TXST, UTHSCSA, UNT, TTUHSC, UTMB, and Angelo State..
debating if to add TWU cause of my low GRE scores and debating on Mary Hardin Baylor bc of cost=85K

Hours: 600+ (inpatient, peds, outpatient, ortho, neuro, wound care, geriatrics and still have 200 more hours to do at an internship)
I have a PT tech job/student worker my the school's dpt clinic as well.

EC's: I'm involved in our Pre-Physical Therapy Org, I was the secretary last year and VP this year. Thru the org I have been able to volunteer at numerous events in San Marcos and neighboring Texas cities.
I was also a Research Assistant for the athletic training department here (effects of laser therapy on fatigued muscles)

Jobs (past and present): Supplemental Instructor for A&P, PT tech, A&P Lab instructor, PE daycare coach, wileyPLUS student partner.

Honors & Awards: deans list, full ride scholarship for this coming year, presidents award (Community college)

Letters of rec: 3 PT's and my a&p prof. Two of the PT letters are from a DPT program.

Should I bother applying to TWU? they have no cut off for the GRE but they are super competitive with their scores. I feel like I have great letters of rec. Also, has anyone attended Mary Hardin Baylors program? How did you manage a private school cost?..

What do yall think?

INTERVIEW: UTMB, Texas Tech

ACCEPTED:

REJECTED:

WAITLIST:

Last edited:
University: Northern Kentucky University
Overall GPA: 3.58 (before being calculated by PTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.0-3.2 depending on school (self-calculated)
GRE: 149 V, 147 Q, 4.5 AW

Experience: 600 hours working as an aide in an inpatient setting, 60/350 (at the time of application) hours as an intern at a sports medicine outpatient clinic as an aide, 25 observation hours at an outpatient clinic

Schools Applying: Mount St. Joseph, Bellarmine, Western Kentucky University, Dayton, Regis, Evansville, Arkansas State

Acceptances: none yet

Rejections: none yet

Interviews: none yet

Any input would be appreciated i.e. chances, more schools etc. (limited due to outstanding pre-reqs).

Hey, rather unfamiliar with the way PTCAs works. Is there anyways you can figure out whether or not the schools might reject a pre-requisite, and also figure out how to calculate your gpa for the prereqs?

University: University of Akron
Overall GPA: 3.479
Pre-Req GPA: 3.15-3.3 (depending on school, 3 pre-reqs in progress)
GRE: 155V 159Q 4.5W

Extra-Curric: 4 year member of track and field team, 3x varsity athlete, Exercise Science Club, Midwest ACSM Speaker 2017, Journal publication

Volunteer: 108 observation hours (40 hospital outpatient, 40 free-standing sports med outpatient, 20 inpatient sub-acute, 8 acute care inpatient), 120 Hour Strength and Conditioning internship, 100+ volunteer hours otherwise.

Schools Applying: University of Colorado, Northern Arizona University, Texas State, Sacramento State, University of New Mexico, Western U, University of Utah.

Any input?

University: University of Georgia (2017)

Major: Exercise and Sport Science

Minor: Spanish

Overall GPA: 3.4

Last 60 GPA: 3.6

Pre-Req GPA: 3.3 - 3.45

GRE: 153 V, 154 Q, 4.0 AW

Extra-Curric: Collegiate cheerleader, club gymnastics team member, Camp Kesem, Pre-PT club, Health 4 Kids club (leadership role as Fitness Advisor), Spanish Honor Society, Spanish interpreter on various occasions, score flasher for UGA's gymnastics team, FOCUS student teacher (taught science in elementary school classroom through program at UGA to emphasize importance of STEM), Peru Medical Spanish Program (study abroad that included a medical Spanish course and volunteering in hospitals/special needs schools), undergraduate research assistant in biomechanics lab for 2 years - presented research at annual symposium both years, ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, taking CSCS exam next month

Employment: personal care attendant for muscular dystrophy patient (during senior year), now I work as a durable medical equipment coordinator (fitting braces, orthotics, ambulatory devices) for an orthopedic clinic, I also work as a physical therapy aide in an acute care hospital

Observation: 235 outpatient, 45 inpatient with more planned from my job

LORs: 2 from PTs, 1 from professor, 1 from research mentor

Applied: Armstrong, Augusta, Brenau, GA-PCOM, Georgia State, Mercer, University of North Georgia, Midwestern, Medical College of New York

Interviews: TBD

Acceptances: TBD

Rejections: TBD

Any input would be appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I go to UNG. They for the most part only admit students from ED and yesterday I overheard the admissions director say that this year the GPA of applicants has gone way down (normally it's ~3.75 I believe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Undergrad Texas A&M University: Bachelor's of Science in Nutritional Sciences
Graduate University of Houston: Master's of Science in Exercise & Health Sciences

Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-req: 3.6
Postbac: 4.0
GRE: 153V 154Q 4.0W
Experience: 3000 hours outpatient as PT tech, 350 inpatient neuro, 40 back-to-work program

This will be my second time applying after being rejected the last cycle.
Applying: Duke, Elon, Wingate, USF, UTMB, UNT, Northwestern, UTHSCSA, UIW, Sacred Heart, University of the Sciences in Philly, Texas Tech
Interviews: UTMB (9/15)

Overall GPA: 3.36
Last 60 GPA: 3.67
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4

GRE 1: 152 V, 153 Q, 4.0 AWA
GRE 2: 152 V, 156 Q, 4.5 AWA

Experience: 1200 hours, 5 settings - 1000 outpatient (sports, ortho, women's health, general, peds, neuro), 200 inpatient (neuro, geriatrics, wound care)

Applied: Augusta, Elon, Idaho State, Shenandoah, University of New England

Interviews: Augusta (10/15)

Overall GPA: 3.36
Last 60 GPA: 3.67
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4

GRE 1: 152 V, 153 Q, 4.0 AWA
GRE 2: 152 V, 156 Q, 4.5 AWA

Experience: 1200 hours, 5 settings - 1000 outpatient (sports, ortho, women's health, general, peds, neuro), 200 inpatient (neuro, geriatrics, wound care)

Applied: Augusta, Elon, Idaho State, Shenandoah, University of New England

Interviews: Augusta (10/15)

Wow! interviews already! That's awesome. I'm still waiting......Good luck!

I received an invite for an interview at UMHB for their Doctor of Physical Therapy program. Current and past students, what is the interview like? Is it a one on one interview or panel? Any ideas on what the essay portion is about? or the structure of their essays? Any information regarding UMHB would be greatly appreciated.

-Pursuit.of.DPT

University: University of Louisville
Overall GPA: 3.93
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.73
GRE: V 152, Q 154, 4.0 AWA

EC: three different internships (research, one pt-related, wellness coaching), variety of jobs (physical therapy technician, healthy living coach at YMCA, federal work-study student, alley coordinator at Red Lobster), few volunteer experiences (IRONMAN, Habitat for Humanity, American Heart Association, Louisville Grows, Our Revolution, Student Outreach Uniting Louisville)
Observations: INPATIENT: SNF, sub-acute; OUTPATIENT: general orthopedic, industrial/occupational, wellness/prevention/fitness = 4 sites (~860 hours total)
Achievements: 8 various awards/honors/scholarships
LORs: 2 physical therapists, 1 major professor, 1 science professor

Applying: Bellarmine University, Chatham University, Youngstown State University, Marshall University, Mount St. Joseph University, Western Kentucky University, University of Pittsburgh, University of Kentucky (open to other suggestions!)
Interviews: Bellarmine University (11/3) Chatham University (11/11) Mount St. Joseph University (11/17)
Acceptances: N/A
Hold: Bellarmine University (11/10)
Rejections: N/A

Last edited:
University: Northern Kentucky University
Overall GPA: 3.58 (before being calculated by PTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.0-3.2 depending on school (self-calculated)
GRE: 149 V, 147 Q, 4.5 AW

Experience: 600 hours working as an aide in an inpatient setting, 60/350 (at the time of application) hours as an intern at a sports medicine outpatient clinic as an aide, 25 observation hours at an outpatient clinic

Schools Applying: Mount St. Joseph, Bellarmine, Western Kentucky University, Dayton, Regis, Evansville, Arkansas State

Any input would be appreciated i.e. chances, more schools etc. (limited due to outstanding pre-reqs).
I'm a current student at Mount St. Joseph..highly recommend

University: California State University, Long Beach
Major: BS in Kinesiology: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.84
Pre-Req GPA: 3.76
GRE: 156 Q, 149 V, 4.5 AW

Extra-Curric: Southern California Special Olympics Volunteer, Orange County Food Bank Volunteer

Observation: Aide at Outpatient Facility (Adult Day Health Care, Child Development Program, Aquatics): 1780 hours, Aide at Private Outpatient Clinic: 230 hours, Volunteer at Skilled Nursing Facility: 150 hours

LOR: 1 outpatient physical therapist, 1 inpatient physical therapist, 1 major professor

Applied: Chapman, Western, CSULB, CSUN, CSU Fresno, CSU Sacramento, UNLV, NAU, Rocky Mountain, Regis, Mount St. Mary's
Acceptances: Mount St. Mary's (12/12)
Rejections:
Interviews: Rocky Mountain (waitlist May' 18), NAU (1/26), CSU Fresno (1/27)

Last edited:
Update 2/23/18

University: University of Washington, Seattle
Major: Biology (Physiology)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2
GRE: 152 V, 158 Q, 4.5 AWA

Extra-Curric:
DPT acute care patient actor (25 total hours over 2 years)
Athletic Training Internship (7 months)
Student Officer of a registered student organization (1 year)
Undergraduate Researcher in Pathology Lab (1 year)
Hospital Volunteer (8 months)

Observation Hours:
Outpatient Ortho: ~ 40 hours (3 locations)
Outpatient Peds: ~ 25 hours (1 location)
Outpatient Neuro: ~ 20 hours (1 location)
Inpatient SNF: ~ 45 hours (1 location)
Inpatient Rehab: ~ 400 hours (2 locations) [350 hours as a rehab aide]
Inpatient Acute: ~ 380 hours (1 location) [350 hours as a rehab aide]

LOR:
2 PTs, 1 Professor, 1 Volunteer Coordinator

Applying:
Pacific University, MGH, Shenandoah, Northwestern, CSUN, CSU Sacramento, NYU, UColorado, UIC, Chapman (sum+fall), NYIT, EWU, Regis, Simmons, Northeastern, USC, Midwestern in Glendale, UW (re-applicant), WUSL

Interviews: Midwestern (10/23), NYU (11/11), Shenandoah (12/14 Declined)
Interview Waitlist: Regis (12/15) CU (12/27)
Rejected: NYIT (12/4), UIC (12/13), CSUS (12/13) EWU (1/6) Pacific (1/10) CSUN (1/20) CSU Sac (12/15) Chap sum/fall (2/13) UW (2/23)
Waitlisted: Northwestern (11/30) WUSL (12/22) CSLB (1/18) USC (2/18)
Accepted: Midwestern (11/1) NYU (12/5) MGH IP (12/20) Simmons (12/20) Northeastern (2/16)
Attending: MGH IHP!

Last edited:
You're GRE, hours and EC's definitely make up for your GPA.
University: University of Washington, Seattle
Major: Biology (Physiology)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2
GRE: 152 V, 158 Q, 4.5 AWA

Extra-Curric:
DPT acute care patient actor (25 total hours over 2 years)
Athletic Training Internship (7 months)
Student Officer of a registered student organization (1 year)
Undergraduate Researcher in Pathology Lab (1 year)
Hospital Volunteer (8 months)

Observation Hours:
Outpatient Ortho: ~ 40 hours (3 locations)
Outpatient Peds: ~ 25 hours (1 location)
Outpatient Neuro: ~ 20 hours (1 location)
Inpatient SNF: ~ 45 hours (1 location)
Inpatient Rehab: ~ 400 hours (2 locations) [350 hours as a rehab aide]
Inpatient Acute: ~ 380 hours (1 location) [350 hours as a rehab aide]

LOR:
2 PTs, 1 Professor, 1 Volunteer Coordinator

Applying:
Pacific University, MGH, Shenandoah, Northwestern, CSUN, CSU Sacramento, NYU, UColorado, UIC, Chapman (sum+fall), NYIT, EWU, CSULB, Regis, Simmons, Northeastern, USC, BU, Midwestern in Glendale, UW (re-applicant), NYMC, WUSL

Interviews: N/A
Rejected: Not...Yet...
Accepted: N/A

What do you guys think about the GPA? I believe that is the weakest part of my application. That prompted me to apply to way too many schools.

Pretty nervous about my applications

BS in Kinesiology
cGpa 3.42 (ptcas calculated)
pGPA 3.1 to 3.4 depending on the school

GRE: 151 Verbal, 156 quant, 3.5 AW

LoRs: 2 PTs I aide for (should be strong letters) and my ex phys professor

Hours: 30 inpatient (SNF), 1200 as outpatient PT aide, 20 hours in outpatient vestibular rehabilitation. 3 settings total

Extracurriculars: Research assistant volunteer in a sports psych research study, volunteer coach for children in underserved communities, admin in on campus bodybuilding group.

Applied to: CSU Sacramento and CSU Northride, Mt St Mary's, Touro Nevada, Midwestern Glendale, AT Still, Franklin Pierce

I feel like my application is very average and I'm not sure what to expect. I think the CSUs are probably long shots but you never know. The other 5 schools seem more realistic.

Feedback would be appreciated

UPDATE
University:
University of North Georgia

Observation hours: 40 NICU, 100 sports medicine, 50 outpatient ortho, 55 peds neuro/aqua/hippotherapy

Accepted: UT Chattanooga
Attending: UT Chattanooga

Reactions: 5 users
UPDATE
University:
University of North Georgia

Accepted: UT Chattanooga
Attending: UT Chattanooga

Wow you've been accepted already, that's awesome! Congrats :)