GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What would you say the chances are for getting into out of state public schools? I figured a lot of schools would like having students pay for out of state tuition it's more for them?
I would check each program individually. Most schools explain their class breakdowns on their websites, and if you're concerned about it I wouldn't hesitate to contact the school and ask about preference and/or class geographic area. Typically the breakdown given for a public school on their website goes something like this "preference is given to in state students, typically enroll 80% in state and 20% out of state" When it's a smaller program such as 20-40 students it's especially hard because all the out of state students are competing for like 4 or 5 spots. That's just my experience with the out of state schools I've applied to personally, I found it easier to get into private schools out of state because they don't give preference to geographic location as long as you're a resident of the United States. Hope this helps!

Update: Also if you check PTCAS on the page where they explain all the schools they post how many are in state etc. http://www.ptcas.org/ptcas/public/allprograms.aspx?listorder=state&navID=10737426784

True sometimes in state vs. out of state doesn't matter, but sometimes it does. If you really want to go to a program though don't let it stop you, use your best discretion; it's your life after all :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What would you say the chances are for getting into out of state public schools? I figured a lot of schools would like having students pay for out of state tuition it's more for them?
When I was at the UNC interview they said they try to help out of state students establish residency because they get the same amount of funding regardless of how many students they have paying out of state tuition. So I guess it depends on the school

University: University of Florida
Major: Applied Physiology and Kinesiology
Undergrad GPA: 3.26
Post Baccalaureate GPA: 4.0
Prereq GPA: 3.38 (PTCAS)
GRE: 153 V, 159 Q, 4.0 W (I took the GRE 3 times)

Observation Hours: 28 inpatient, 106 outpatient (neuro/ortho), 240 outpatient/wellness/prevention (ortho/sports)

Applied: FIU (9/12), UCF (9/12), NOVA Ft. Lauderdale (9/12), UF (9/12), UNF (10/08)

Interviews: FIU (1/24), UCF (1/27), UNF (2/11)

Waitlisted: none

Acceptances: NOVA (12/09), FIU (1/31)

Rejections: none

Submitted PTCAS: 9/12/2016
Verified PTCAS: 9/17/2016

Congrats on your acceptances! What are your top choices?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would do your research on the PTCAS website regarding the percentage of in-state/OOS students accepted/matriculated. The school that I will be attending, UIC, actually had more OOS applicants matriculated into the program than in-state applicants according to PTCAS. In contrast, right nearby in Indiana, the majority of students matriculated as in-state students. Like the person above said, it doesn't hurt to apply to schools that you feel that you have a chance in. When I interviewed at University of Nebraska Medical Center a month and a half ago, the director said that they give slight preferences to Nebraska residents for the interviews, but he also said that all of the OOS students that were in my group were granted an interview because we had better qualifications than the in-state students. Anything is possible! (buutt as someone from the midwest, I would hesitate applying to west coast schools haha)

University: small liberal arts college
Major: Physics
Overall GPA: 3.91
Pre-Req GPA: 4.00
GRE: 165V/162Q/5.0W

Extracurriculars: Social Dance Club Officer/Teacher, Science Museum Educator, Physics Department Tutor, Biochemistry/Physics Research Assistant (3 years)

Volunteer/Observation: 100 inpatient (adult, pediatric, acute) + 50 outpatient (neuro, ortho) = 150 total

References: 2 Biology Professors + 1 MD/Research PI + 1 Physical Therapist

PTCAS complete 10/1

Applications:
Loma Linda (interview 9/16, rejected 1/31)
KUMC (no interview, waitlisted 1/10)
Azusa Pacific (interview 10/28, accepted 1/19)
Midwestern (interview 10/14, accepted 10/21)
Drexel (interview 10/26, accepted 11/11 with $63k scholarship)
Rockhurst (interview 12/3, accepted 12/13)
U Southern California (no interview, accepted 1/5)
MGH Institute (no interview, accepted 1/3 with $35k scholarship)

Attending Drexel! They are also pairing me with a faculty mentor for potential dual enrollment into the PhD program - for interested folks this is a new option for the school and you'll need to be in contact with them for more info.

Update
BYUI
Gpa- 3.92
Science- 3.87
Gre- 162 q 160 v 4.0 awa
Hours- 230
Non PT Volunteer hours- 9000
Applied- CSUN, touro, ewu, fresno, sac state, UW, puget sound, NAU, unlv
Extra- anatomy and physiology adjunct professor straight out of my bachelors

Offered- CSUN, touro, eastern Washington
Rejected- puget sound
Accepted- CSUN
Interviews- UNLV (declined), Fresno state (declined), NAU, Sacramento state

Update

Major
: Clinical Physiology
Minor: Biology
Overall GPA: 3.86
Pre-Req GPA: 3.85
GRE:
-First attempt: 146V, 142Q, 5AW
-Second attempt: 149V, 144Q, 4.5AW
Extra-Curricular: Working for 3+ years at Costco

Observation Hours:
50 hours outpatient, 400+ hours inpatient

Applied:
CSULB, CSUN, Chapman, Pacific University, University of Puget Sound, University of the Pacific, University of Washington, West Coast University

Accepted:
n/a

Waitlisted:
CSULB (high-tier) on 1/18, Chapman (1/20)

Denied: CSUN (wrong physics class) on 1/13, University of Puget Sound (2/1)

Interviews:
West Coast University on 1/27, University of the Pacific (2/3), Pacific University (2/11)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
Jan 25, 2017

Update

Major
: Clinical Physiology
Minor: Biology
Pre-Req GPA: 3.85
GRE:
-First attempt: 146V, 142Q, 5AW
-Second attempt: 149V, 144Q, 4.5AW
Extra-Curricular: Working for 3+ years at Costco

Observation Hours:
50 hours outpatient, 400+ hours inpatient

Applied:
CSULB, CSUN, Chapman, Pacific University, University of Puget Sound, University of the Pacific, University of Washington, West Coast University

Accepted:
n/a

Waitlisted:
CSULB (high-tier) on 1/18, Chapman (1/20)

Denied: CSUN (wrong physics class) on 1/13, University of Puget Sound (2/1)

Interviews:
West Coast University on 1/27, University of the Pacific (2/3), Pacific University (2/11)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
Jan 25, 2017
I just got denied by puget sound too. Everyone who applied and got in must have had perfect stats.

I just got denied by puget sound too. Everyone who applied and got in must have had perfect stats.

I just got waitlisted at Puget Sound. My stats are very in the middle of the road, but I'm a non-traditional student, I think thats the only reason I got waitlisted.

For those of you who have heard back from Puget Sound, did you receive an email? I haven't heard anything yet; hoping that's a good sign...

Anyone attending Columbia University class of 2020?

Wondering if there is a Facebook page?

Members don't see this ad :)
University: University of Florida
Major: Applied Physiology and Kinesiology
Undergrad GPA: 3.26
Post Baccalaureate GPA: 4.0
Prereq GPA: 3.38 (PTCAS)
GRE: 153 V, 159 Q, 4.0 W (I took the GRE 3 times)

Observation Hours: 28 inpatient, 106 outpatient (neuro/ortho), 240 outpatient/wellness/prevention (ortho/sports)

Applied: FIU (9/12), UCF (9/12), NOVA Ft. Lauderdale (9/12), UF (9/12), UNF (10/08)

Interviews: FIU (1/24), UCF (1/27), UNF (2/11)

Waitlisted: none

Acceptances: NOVA (12/09), FIU (1/31)

Submitted PTCAS: 9/12/2016
Verified PTCAS: 9/17/2016
We must have interviewed at UCF together. Did you hear back yet? I just accepted my spot

UPDATE:

University: U of Alabama
Major: Human Performance and Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.21
Pre-Req GPA: 2.97 (PTCAS)
GRE: Q 157 V 157 W 4.5

Extra-Curric: Not many. Some community service (~40 hours total). Competitive powerlifter.

Volunteer: See above. I worked with students that have disabilities as a part of a class that I took. I taught them how to exercise and play some sports. I also volunteered in the relief efforts after a tornado.

Applied: Alabama St, Augusta, Belmont, Georgia St, Mercer, Tennessee St, Central Florida, North Florida, North Georgia, South Alabama, Western Kentucky, Arkansas State, Tennessee Health Science Center, St. Augustine

Interviews: Tennessee State (10/21), Augusta University (11/18), Memphis Mingle invite for Tennessee HSC (declined due to Augusta interview), and St. Augustine (12/2), Mercer (1/14), Western Kentucky admissions event invite (declined due to nah)

Rejections: Belmont, UNG, UCF, UNF, and now my #1 choice South Alabama. The class GPA is 3.90 cumulative and 3.75 prereq science GPA and the GRE 304/4.0. I guess they put a lot of stock into the GPA, so it just wasn't in the cards for me.

Acceptances: Augusta University (11/23), Tennessee State University (11/24 - Declined), University of St. Augustine (12/20)

At this point I'm just waiting to hear back from Mercer. If I do not get in there, I will most likely be going to Augusta!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone attending Columbia University class of 2020?

Wondering if there is a Facebook page?
Hi! I am attending Columbia in the Fall! I don't think there is a Facebook page, yet. That typically gets created around April, once a full class list is finalized. Excited to meet everyone!

Cheers!

Gpa- 3.9
Science- 3.87
Gre- 162 q 160 v 4.0 awa
Hours- 230
Non PT Volunteer hours- 9000
Applied- CSUN, touro, ewu, fresno, sac state, UW, puget sound, NAU, unlv
Extra- Adjunct Anatomy and Physiology Professor

Offered- CSUN, Touro University, Eastern Washington, NAU
Interview offers- CSUF (decline), NAU (12/12), UNLV (decline), Sac State
Rejected- Puget Sound
Accepted- CSUN

Hi Everyone,

I have applied to 6 schools and have only heard back from one (waitlisted). I was pretty late on getting applications in (PTCAS was done end of October any supplementaries were don't shortly after that )
This thread is showing a lot of people hearing back from schools that I applied to. Is this because my applications were later than normal?
This is my first time applying so any feedback would be great!

Additional question incase I need to reapply next cycle.. any advise on inpatient care settings? I can't seem to find anywhere in PTs.

I should note..
University of Minnesota
BS in Biological Sciences
GPA: 3.48
pGPA: 3.37
V:156 Q:155 W:3.5

Extra: Div 1 athlete, National team athlete, EMT 2 years

Hours: +1000 at sports med. clinic alongside PTs, hospital volunteer 3 years, 4 years working as strength and conditioning coach

Certs.: Certified Strength and Conditioning Coach, EMT (former), basic first aid/CPR

Last edited:
University: University of Arizona
Major: Microbiology
cGPA: 3.73-3.76
pGPA: 3.53-3.8 (depending on school)
GRE: 155 v 163 Q 5.0 AW
Hours: 130 across 3 different settings
APPLYING:
Belmont University
California LB
Chapman University
Northern Arizona University
Midwestern
University of Puget Sound
Seton Hall
University of Colorado

University of Washington

Interviews: Midwestern (Glendale), Belmont, NAU (decided not to go)
Offers: Midwestern, Chapman University, Seton Hall
Acceptance: Chapman
Waitlisted: UPS, CSULB, Belmont
Rejections: University of Colorado

Just waiting for UW now

Undergrad: College of Charleston (Exercise Science)

Overall GPA: 3.93
Pre-req GPA: 3.87

GRE: 156 V, 150 Q, 4 AW

PT Hours: 200+ outpatient

Applied: University of Tennessee Chattanooga, University of South Carolina, MUSC, Nova Southeastern, Armstrong State

Acceptances: Nova

Waitlisted: UTC, USC, MUSC

Getting super discouraged that I got waitlisted at both of my in-state schools. Hopefully I get in by the end of March or I'm going to have to go to Nova.

I got waitlisted at USC and MUSC too (I live in SC too). I think they're really picky about have experiences in multiple settings. I had 175+ hours in outpatient, but I think they really want people who have experience in both inpatient and outpatient.

Hi! I am attending Columbia in the Fall! I don't think there is a Facebook page, yet. That typically gets created around April, once a full class list is finalized. Excited to meet everyone!

Cheers!
Hey when did you hear back from Columbia and when was your interview

Update!
Welp, I've been waitlisted everywhere I applied, so it's just a waiting game now. I'm okay with it though. If I don't get accepted, I'll just take this year to save up some money and boost my application. But congratulations and good luck to everyone who got accepted somewhere!!

University: Clemson University
Major: Biological Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.78
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5
GRE: 155 V; 160 Q; 3.5 A

Extra-Curric: Volunteer with a program for kids and adults with special needs, volunteer in the children's department at my church, lead high school girls Bible study, various mission trips, volunteer at local homeless shelter

Volunteer: 150+ hours in various outpatient settings - ortho, lymphedema, oncology, sports, etc.

Applied: Belmont University, University of South Carolina, Medical University of South Carolina, Temple University

Acceptances: none

Interviews: Belmont (11/18)

Waitlisted: USC, MUSC, Temple, Belmont (11/28 - they only had 6 spots left b/c they filled the other 42 spots w/ ED)

Update.... meh.

University:
Ball State University
Major: Exercise Science
Overall PTCAS GPA: 3.22 (lot of retaken courses)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.5 (depending on school)

GRE: 152V, 155Q, 3.5 AW

Letters of Rec: 2 PTs and an Exercise Science Professor

Extra-Curric: Rehab Aide @ inpatient hospital, Full-Time Patient Transporter, Personal Trainer/Wellness Staff at YMCA, CPR certified

Observation hours: 65 hours in outpatient clinic, 35 at Acute Care Hospital, 50 hrs at Rehabilitation Hospital (where I work as transporter and aide) Plus on going hours through work.

Applied: Trine University (Non PTCAS) Indiana State University, Mount St. Joseph University, Walsh University, Marshall University, Rockhurst University, Southwest Baptist University, Bellarmine University

Interviews: Indiana State (12-2-16), Trine (Declined), Mount St. Joseph (1-13-17), Marshall (1-4-17), Rockhurst (12-3-16 and 2nd interview via skype 2-11-17), Bellarmine (Declined), Walsh (1-27-17)

Acceptances: Southwest Baptist (10-21)

Waitlists: Indiana State, Marshall

Rejects: Mount St. Joseph

Submitted PTCAS 9/22
Verified PTCAS 9/28

I'm really hoping to get into Indiana State, Marshall, or Walsh at this point. If I do I have a feeling its going to be right before classes start lol.
I

I was at the 1-4 interview at Marshall and was waitlisted too. Best of luck!

Update!
Welp, I've been waitlisted everywhere I applied, so it's just a waiting game now. I'm okay with it though. If I don't get accepted, I'll just take this year to save up some money and boost my application. But congratulations and good luck to everyone who got accepted somewhere!!

University: Clemson University
Major: Biological Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.78
GRE: 155 V; 160 Q; 3.5 A

Extra-Curric: Volunteer with a program for kids and adults with special needs, volunteer in the children's department at my church, lead high school girls Bible study, various mission trips, volunteer at local homeless shelter

Volunteer: 150+ hours in various outpatient settings - ortho, lymphedema, oncology, sports, etc.

Applied: Belmont University, University of South Carolina, Medical University of South Carolina, Temple University

Interviews: Belmont (11/18)

Waitlisted: USC, MUSC, Temple, Belmont (11/28 - they only had 6 spots left b/c they filled the other 42 spots w/ ED)

Have you tried contacting them to see where you are in the waitlists? Some people I know got accepted around March/April after moving up on waitlists, so you still have a chance! Wish you the best, and keep us updated!

Final Update + Decision

Undergrad:
UIC
Major: Biology
cGPA: 3.73
pre-req GPA: 3.64-3.75 depending on how schools calculate it (self-reported pre-req GPA: 3.69, so right in the middle)
GRE: 152 V, 161 Q 4.5 AW
Observation Hours: around 100 hours outpatient ortho (mixed in with sports), 25 outpatient neuro, 25 inpatient acute care (150 hours total)
Extracirriculars: 2 years of missionary work prior to college, pre-PT club, tutor science for high school students at a prep school.
Applying: UIC, Rosalind Franklin, UNMC, Drexel

E-submitted: 9/7
Verified: 9/13

Interviews: Rosalind Franklin (10/15), Drexel (10/28), UNMC (12/20)
Rejections: Rosalind Franklin (10/24), Drexel (11/9)
Waitlists: UNMC (2/1)
Acceptance: UIC (12/15, sent official deposit on 1/17)

Well, I am officially finished with the application process after I heard from UNMC. I was hoping for an acceptance at UNMC, but I consider it a victory, since they do give a slight preference to in-state students. Also, the fact that I was placed on the waitlist most likely meant that my interview wasn't a disaster (haha), so I feel encouraged that my interview skills improved as the process went on. It's funny how the only school I got accepted to was I felt the most competitive one I applied to, but I guess you never know what could happen in life haha.
I really learned a lot about myself throughout this process, both my shortcomings as well as how I want to move forward as an individual/future professional throughout PT school, and I feel that this community played a part in getting to where I am today. I can't wait to graduate already and start PT school at UIC this August!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
*** UPDATE **** (plus decision time....)

Undergrad
: CU BOULDER
Major: Integrative Physiology
GPA:
Prereq-GPA: 3.92 (PTCAS)
GRE: 152V, 155Q, 4.5W
Observation Hours: 25 neuro/inpatient, 15 hospital/acute, 950 ortho outpatient
Extras: Anatomy TA, cadaver lab TA, neuroscience and calculus tutor, service trips to Thailand, middle school youth group leader, two years experience in neuroscience research labs running fMRI studies, crisis text line volunteer

Applied: U of Colorado, Duke, Northwestern

Acceptances: Northwestern (10/10), Duke (12/13), U of Colorado (2/2) :claps:
Declined:
Northwestern (1/5)

Duke or U of Colorado? U of Colorado or Duke? :shrug:

Have you tried contacting them to see where you are in the waitlists? Some people I know got accepted around March/April after moving up on waitlists, so you still have a chance! Wish you the best, and keep us updated!
Thanks! I haven't, because all of them (literally) said in their emails something like "Our Department's policy is not to share with applicants the number of students placed on the wait-list, the applicant's position on the wait-list, or the number of students pulled from the wait list for admission." (this specific quote is from Temple's email, but all of them say something similar.)

University: SDSU
Major: Kinesiology Pre-PT
Overall GPA: 3.51 (upward trend)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.41 (retook Physics 1)

GRE:
(1) V- 148 Q-153 AW- 4
(2) V- 149 Q-152 AW- 4

Extra-Curric: Assistant Instructor in Self-defense , Rehab Biomechanics research lab, Physio TA, and a lot of work experience

Volunteer: 288 Outpatient, 34 Inpatient

Applied: UCSF/SFSU (#1 Choice), SDSU, CSU Long Beach, CSU Fresno, Drexel, University of South Carolina, Medical University of South Carolina, Pacific University (assumed declined; no interview offer), NAU

Interviews: Drexel (12/9), UCSF/SFSU (1/27 & 1/28), CSU Fresno (2/4; declined)
Rejections: NAU (12/13 & 1/30; officially), CSU Long Beach (1/18), University of South Carolina (1/27)
Waitlisted: Drexel (1/6), Medical University of South Carolina (1/27)
Acceptances: UCSF/SFSU (1/30!!!)

UCSF/SFSU has been my number 1 choice since before I started my application process and I was very excited to be accepted. This is where I will be attending regardless of hearing from other programs. I can’t wait for the summer!

Update Mehhh
University: California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo
Major: Animal Science
Overall GPA: 3.60
Pre-Req GPA: depends on school 3.5-3.6
GRE: didn't take

Observation Hours: 45 Inpatient Hospital, ~100 Sports Outpatient, ~70 Inpatient Rehabilitation

Applied: Clarkson University, Western University of Health Sciences, University of North Texas at Fort Worth

Acceptances: Clarkson University

Rejections: University of North Texas at Fort Worth

Interviews: Western University of Health Sciences (1/17)

Waitlisted: Western University of Health Sciences (02/02)

Any idea how many people are accepted to WUHS off of the wait list?

University: UC San Diego
Overall GPA: 3.5-3.6 depending on school
Pre-Req GPA: 3.68 PTCAS
GRE:157/159/5.0

Extra-Curric: Red Cross volunteer, competitive powerlifter, NPC MP competitor.

Volunteer: 600 inpatient at SNF (paid), 100 outpatient neuro clinic

LOR: 1 director of rehab (PT), 1 staff PT, 1 Physiology professor.

Applied: USC, University of St Augustine, Mt Saint Mary, Chapman, West Coast U, SDSU, APU (2018)

Rejections: SDSU (2/2)

Waitlist: Chapman, MSMU

Interviews: West Coast University (declined)

Last edited:
Unfortunately a lot of rejections this week :/
University: California State University
Major: Kinesiology
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7-3.8 depending on the school
GRE: 151Q, 153V, 5.0AW
Hours: 500 outpatient hours and 100 pediatric hours
Recommendation Letters: 4 total: 1 physical therapist from pediatrics as a student volunteer, 2 physical therapists from the same outpatient clinic (internship that turned into an aide position), and kinesiology major professor

Applying: CSULB, CSUN, Chapman, Eastern Washington, NAU, UCSF/SFSU, Pittsburgh, Puget Sound, Washington, SDSU
Interviews: NAU (declined), SFSU (declined)
Acceptance: Chapman (11/23)
Rejections: EWU, Puget Sound, SDSU
Waitlist: Pittsburgh (12/6), CSULB (High-tier), CSUN (#27)

Congrats on your acceptances! What are your top choices?
Thank you!
My top is UF or UCF.
I really liked the open house at UNF so UNF was next but after attending the interview at FIU...I really enjoyed the faculty there so FIU is tied with UNF haha.
NOVA is my backup last choice so I'm going to decline my spot now that I know I got accepted to FIU.

We must have interviewed at UCF together. Did you hear back yet? I just accepted my spot
Did you have the morning or the afternoon interview? I was in their morning one!
Unfortunately I have not heard back from them :/

UPDATE

University: SDSU
Major: Kinesiology Pre-PT
Overall GPA: 3.51 (upward trend)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.41 (retook Physics 1)

GRE:
(1) V- 148 Q-153 AW- 4
(2) V- 149 Q-152 AW- 4

Extra-Curric: Assistant Instructor in Self-defense , Rehab Biomechanics research lab, Physio TA, and a lot of work experience

Volunteer: 288 Outpatient, 34 Inpatient

Applied: UCSF/SFSU (#1 Choice), SDSU, CSU Long Beach, CSU Fresno, Drexel, University of South Carolina, Medical University of South Carolina, Pacific University (assumed declined; no interview offer), NAU

Interviews: Drexel (12/9), UCSF/SFSU (1/27 & 1/28), CSU Fresno (2/4; declined)
Rejections: NAU (12/13 & 1/30; officially), CSU Long Beach (1/18), University of South Carolina (1/27)
Waitlisted: Drexel (1/6), Medical University of South Carolina (1/27)
Acceptances: UCSF/SFSU (1/30!!!), SDSU (2/2)

UPDATE!

University: Elmhurst College
Over All GPA: 3.48 (Last two years 3.82)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.49
GRE: Q146 V159 W4.0

Extracurricular: 4 years active duty military
Observation Hours: 6 inpatient geriatric, 75 inpatient acute care, 75 out patient ortho
PTCAS submitted: 9/17/2016
PTCAS verified: 9/20/2016

Applied: UIC, Northwestern, Rosalind Franklin, Midwestern, Boston U, MGHI, Simmons College, Uni of Puget Sound, Uni of Washington

Interviews: Midwestern (declined 2/3)
Accepted: Northwestern, UIC, Simmons College
Waitlisted: MGHI (1/2/17) (1/5/17 declined), UPS (2/1/17)**
Rejected: n/a

**Received an email saying I am an alternate for UPS.

Attending: Northwestern

Still no word from Rosalind Franklin or Uni of Washington, but I will be declining if I hear anything from them. Best of luck to everyone out there trying to decide where to go and still waiting!

University: USC
Major: Public Health
Over All GPA: 3.1
GRE: Q157 V159 W5.0

Extracurricular: 4 years St. Jude's volunteer, 3 years Animal Shelter volunteer, various scholarship student associations
Awards: Gates Millennium Scholarship, Dell Scholarship, USC Academic Scholarship
Certificates: CPR Adult/Child Certified

Observation Hours: 32 inpatient geriatric, 1500+ out patient ortho/hand therapy
PTCAS submitted: 9/18/2016
PTCAS verified: 9/27/2016

Applied: USC, CSU Long Beach, CSU Northridge, Chapman, Mount Saint Mary's, Western U, West Coast

Interviews: Western U (Declined 2/2)
Accepted: Mount Saint Mary's
Waitlisted: Chapman
Rejected: CSU Long Beach, CSU Northridge, West Coast
Still Waiting: USC

Attending: Mount Saint Mary's

Last edited:
UPDATE!

University: Elmhurst College
Over All GPA: 3.48 (Last two years 3.82)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.49
GRE: Q146 V159 W4.0

Extracurricular: 4 years active duty military
Observation Hours: 6 inpatient geriatric, 75 inpatient acute care, 75 out patient ortho
PTCAS submitted: 9/17/2016
PTCAS verified: 9/20/2016

Applied: UIC, Northwestern, Rosalind Franklin, Midwestern, Boston U, MGHI, Simmons College, Uni of Puget Sound, Uni of Washington

Interviews: Midwestern (declined 2/3)
Accepted: Northwestern, UIC, Simmons College
Waitlisted: MGHI (1/2/17) (1/5/17 declined), UPS (2/1/17)**
Rejected: n/a

**Received an email saying I am an alternate for UPS.

Attending: Northwestern

Still no word from Rosalind Franklin or Uni of Washington, but I will be declining if I hear anything from them. Best of luck to everyone out there trying to decide where to go and still waiting!

I am also still waiting from Rosalind Franklin! Hopefully you declining will free up a spot for me if you're offered an interview!

When did you hear from midwestern about an interview?

University: USC
Major: Public Health
Over All GPA: 3.1
GRE: Q157 V159 W5.0

Extracurricular: 4 years St. Jude's volunteer, 3 years Animal Shelter volunteer, various scholarship student associations
Observation Hours: 32 inpatient geriatric, 1500+ out patient ortho/hand therapy
PTCAS submitted: 9/18/2016
PTCAS verified: 9/27/2016

Applied: USC, CSU Long Beach, CSU Northridge, Chapman, Mount Saint Mary's, Western U, West Coast

Interviews: Western U (Declined 2/2)
Accepted: Mount Saint Mary's
Waitlisted: Chapman
Rejected: CSU Long Beach, CSU Northridge, West Coast
Still Waiting: USC

Attending: Mount Saint Mary's

Congrats on your acceptance! :) Just out of curiously did they tell you why you were rejected from CSU Long Beach? I thought they waitlist all qualified applicants

UPDATES IN BOLD

***ATTENTION***
I am in desperate need of advice/motivation. This is my 3rd year applying to PT programs. I graduated in Dec 14 with my bachelors in Kinesiology and immediately applied to four PT programs (UIC, Midwestern, Rosalind Franklin, Governors State). I was immediately denied. I spent the spring semester taking Biology II and medical terminology to increase my GPA and again applied to 8 schools (UIC, Midwestern, Rosalind Franklin, Governors State, Bradley, Northwestern, UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee). I was denied to all 8, no interviews. The following year I retook A&P 1&2 (received A's in both) at a community college because I received a "C" in both classes. I have applied to the following schools below.

I recently had an interview at Concordia University St Paul (1/13). I thought it went well, but I guess not. Although I was nervous I felt like I answered the questions well and had good questions to ask them. I need TIPS on nailing my next interview if I get one.

I am so passionate about PT; however I'm beginning to lose hope, especially if I get denied to all these schools again. I would literally do anything to become a Physical Therapist and I just want schools to see this. ANY ADVICE FOR ME?!

University: University of Illinois-Chicago
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.16
Pre-Req GPA: 3.11 (according to PTCAS) - 3.40
GRE:
2014 - 139V, 147Q, 4.0W
2015 - 145V, 151Q, 4.0W
2016 - 148V, 148Q, 3.5W

Extracurriculars/Work: Certified Personal Trainer (since 2012), PT Technician (about 2 years),

Volunteer: 3000+ hours outpatient as PT Technician, 40 home health, 8 inpatient

Applied: UIC, Midwestern - Downers Grove, Rosalind Franklin, Governors State, Briar Cliff University, University of Mount Union, Concordia University - St Paul, University of Minnesota, Trine University, Missouri State University, University of Missouri, University of Evansville, UW-Lacrosse, Southwest Baptist University

Acceptances: N/A

Rejections: UIC, Governors State, Concordia University - St Paul (1/20), Missouri State University, UW-Lacrosse, Mizzou

Interviews: Concordia University - St. Paul (1/13)

Waitlist: Briar cliff university (w/o interview)

Getting pretty discouraged here at this point. Still waiting on Midwestern, Rosalind Franklin, University of Minnesota, Trine University, and SBU but it's time to start planning how I'm going to strengthen my application this year.

I am already planning on re taking the GRE again and killing it this time. Also, I have a C in both physics 1 & 2. Should I retake one or both these classes?

BUMP

Getting pretty discouraged here at this point. Still waiting on Midwestern, Rosalind Franklin, University of Minnesota, Trine University, and SBU but it's time to start planning how I'm going to strengthen my application this year.

I am already planning on re taking the GRE again and killing it this time. Also, I have a C in both physics 1 & 2. Should I retake one or both these classes?

Definitely retake both physics. You'll want As in both of these retakes. In general, your stats (GPAs and GREs) are too low to be competitive for a lot of programs, so you'll need to try to get them up as much as possible (possibly with additional pre req class retakes). I'd also suggest looking for and applying to programs that have accepted student stats closer to what you have. Look for programs that will replace (instead of averaging) grades for prereqs that you've retaken. You'll want to do your research to find programs that better fit your profile. Also look at some of the threads in the Frequently Asked Questions sticky at the top section of this forum- lots of good information and suggestions that apply to your situation.

Congrats on your acceptance! :) Just out of curiously did they tell you why you were rejected from CSU Long Beach? I thought they waitlist all qualified applicants
They actually did not tell me why, but I assume it has something to do with how they calculate GPA's. I retook a bunch of classes post bacc, so that may have factored into their GPA calculations. MSMU was highest on my list anyways so I'm not too bummed about it. :)

Last edited:
UPDATED WITH DECISION

University: Thomas Edison State University
Major: Natural Science/Math
Over All GPA: 4.0
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Q159 V157 W4.5

Observation Hours: 30 inpatient/skilled nursing facility, 50 outpatient clinic
References: 2 PT's, 1 Anatomy & Physiology Professor, 1 Academic Advisor

Applied: UDel (Early Decision), Ohio State, Thomas Jefferson, Temple, Belmont, Mount St. Joseph
Interviews: UDel (Sep 12), OSU (n/a, open house 1/28), TJU (12/1), Temple (12/2), Belmont (11/18), MSJ (1/13/17)
Accepted: OSU (12/21), TJU (12/19)
Rejected: UDel, Belmont

Waiting to hear from Temple - anyone know how many offers they've made and/or how many seats are left?

Probably going to decline interview at Mount St. Joseph, was my 4th choice anyway

UPDATE!

Waitlisted: Temple
Declined: Ohio State

Attending Thomas Jefferson University!!!!!!!!!

Though Temple was my top choice, TJU offered me a $5000 per year Dean's scholarship (who doesn't love free money!) and already has significantly lower tuition than Temple. Ultimately it came down to location and proximity to my family and that's why I chose Jefferson.

Hi! So this was also my third year applying to PT school. I graduated in May of 2015, and I have some advice because if becoming a PT is what you really want, it will happen! So, these were my stats and where I applied:

Major: Exercise Science, Business Admin Minor
GPA: 3.42, 3.36 (PTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.05-3.3 (depending on what school) 2.79 (PTCAS)
GRE: 147V 152Q 4.0W (out of 4 times)
Observation Hours: 3000+ (in 4 different settings) 40 pediatrics, 40 hospitol, 1000 sports therapy, the rest in outpatient
LOR: 1 academic, 2 PT's, 1 community service supervisor (for UM Baltimore)
Extras: Student Athlete (Leadership award), Member of SAAC, Member of a Sorority (held a position), Honors Society for Major (held a position), CPR certified, current pt tech at outpatient clinic, Volunteer with Boys and Girls Club, Children's Attention Home, Breast Cancer Education and Awareness (sorority)

Applied: Kean U, Mary Baldwin, MCPHS, Shenandoah U, U of Maryland Baltimore, UNE, URI, Wingate, AIC, LIU Brooklyn, Franklin Pierce, and Plymouth State
Rejected: Mary Baldwin, Shenandoah, UMB, URI, Franklin Pierce
Interviews: MCPHS (2/1), Plymouth State (2/22)
Accepted: MCPHS!! (2/3) AIC (2/8)

So, my first time around I received absolutely nothing, and I only retook the GRE again and got more observation hours in between. The second time, I only got one interview and then waitlisted at 3 schools, which was definitely an improvement. Then, for my third round I got more observation hours, retook the GRE AND a prep course, and I'm retaking classes now. I finally got some interviews and my first acceptance! My grades and GRE scores are not all that competitive, but I think the fact that I was dedicated to improving my application and kept applying and applied to schools that saw that, helped me a lot this round. I've learned that every school is competitive, but every school weighs something more than others. I think having an interview at MCPHS helped me out a lot because they could see that I was more than what my application told them. DO NOT give up! It's tough getting so many rejections, but it makes it all worth while in the end when you've finally reached your goal. It looks like you've applied to some pretty top notch schools and they can be pretty harsh and have a narrow range of who they accept. I would say try branching out to different schools even if they're far away. If you really want to become a PT, you should be willing to go anywhere. I'm from Virginia and am going up to Massachusetts in the fall haha but yesterday was the most exciting day of my life. I did a lot of research on every school that I was qualified for and contacted them and just got my name out there. Try giving the schools you haven't heard from a call and asking about your status. I did that and got my two interview offers the next day. It is possible! Especially if you want it badly enough! Hope this helps!

Last edited:
UPDATE:

School: North Central College
pGPA: 3.2-3.35 (depending on school)
cGPA: 3.55
GRE: V - 155, Q - 154, Writing - 4.5
Hours: ~ 1000 in 3 settings
Applied: Univ of St. Augustine, Governors State, Midwestern U (Downers Grove), Rosalind Franklin, Mayo, Des Moines U
Interviews: Univ of St. Augustine (done), Governors State (done), Mayo (done), Rosalind Franklin (2/24)
Acceptances: Univ of St. Augustine
Waitlist: Mayo, Governors State
Rejections: Des Moines U

UPDATE:

Undergrad: University of Denver
Major: Biological Sciences (cum laude)
PTCAS Cumulative GPA: 3.79
(Self-reported) Pre-req GPA: 3.75
Last 60 Semester Credits: 3.84
GRE: 161V, 152Q, 5.0W
Letters of Recommendation: (3 total): Biology professor, Former employer (Intramural/Club Sports director), 1 PT

Extra Curricular: Vice president and team captain of men's club ice hockey, American Heart Association CPR/AED certified, 60 hours of research in human dynamics lab/center for orthopedic biomechanics (tracing CT scans to make 3D images/models of pelvis), intramural sports referee and adult hockey scorekeeper at my university, completion of an EMT-basic training program, iLEAD international leadership while studying abroad in Australia, cooking matters classroom assistant, middle school science fair judge.

Observation hours: 30 in Craig Hospitals inpatient TBI/spinal cord injury floor, 76 in Craig Hospitals outpatient TBI/spinal cord injury floor, 24 at Porter Adventist acute care hospital, 13 at Swedish Medical Center acute care hospital, 30 at Seaport 17th skilled nursing facility, 50 at Forsters PT outpatient sports/orthopedic.
= 97 inpatient, 126 outpatient = 223 total hours
(since sending my apps out I have gotten ~400 more hours working in an outpatient ortho clinic)

Applied: California State University-Northridge, Mount St. Mary's, University of California-San Francisco/San Francisco State University, Pacific University, San Diego State University (top choice)

Interviews: UCSF/SFSU, Pacific University

Accepted: San Diego State University (2/2), Pacific University (2/22)

Rejected: UCSF/SFSU (1/30)

Waitlist:
CSU-Northridge (#16), Mt. Saint Mary's

Attending: SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY! I will not hear back from Pacific for 2-3 weeks but barring an offer of free tuition, I will just attend SDSU, lol.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Undergrad: University of Denver
Major: Biological Sciences (cum laude)
PTCAS Cumulative GPA: 3.79
(Self-reported) Pre-req GPA: 3.75
Last 60 Semester Credits: 3.84
GRE: 161V, 152Q, 5.0W
Letters of Recommendation: (3 total): Biology professor, Former employer (Intramural/Club Sports director), 1 PT

Extra Curricular: Vice president and team captain of men's club ice hockey, American Heart Association CPR/AED certified, 60 hours of research in human dynamics lab/center for orthopedic biomechanics (tracing CT scans to make 3D images/models of pelvis), intramural sports referee and adult hockey scorekeeper at my university, completion of an EMT-basic training program, iLEAD international leadership while studying abroad in Australia, cooking matters classroom assistant, middle school science fair judge.

Observation hours: 30 in Craig Hospitals inpatient TBI/spinal cord injury floor, 76 in Craig Hospitals outpatient TBI/spinal cord injury floor, 24 at Porter Adventist acute care hospital, 13 at Swedish Medical Center acute care hospital, 30 at Seaport 17th skilled nursing facility, 50 at Forsters PT outpatient sports/orthopedic.
= 97 inpatient, 126 outpatient = 223 total hours
(since sending my apps out I have gotten ~400 more hours working in an outpatient ortho clinic)

Applied: California State University-Northridge, Mount St. Mary's, University of California-San Francisco/San Francisco State University, Pacific University, San Diego State University (top choice)

Interviews: UCSF/SFSU, Pacific University

Accepted: San Diego State University (2/2)

Rejected: UCSF/SFSU (1/30)

Waitlist:
CSU-Northridge (#16), Mt. Saint Mary's

Attending: SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY! I will not hear back from Pacific for 2-3 weeks but barring an offer of free tuition, I will just attend SDSU, lol.
Free tuition?

University: UC San Diego
Overall GPA: 3.5-3.6 depending on school
Pre-Req GPA: 3.68 PTCAS
GRE:157/159/5.0

Extra-Curric: Red Cross volunteer, competitive powerlifter, NPC MP competitor.

Volunteer: 600 inpatient at SNF (paid), 100 outpatient neuro clinic

LOR: 1 director of rehab (PT), 1 staff PT, 1 Physiology professor.

Applied: USC, University of St Augustine, Mt Saint Mary, Chapman, West Coast U, SDSU, APU (2018)

Rejections: SDSU (2/2)

Waitlist: Chapman

Interviews: West Coast University (declined)

Im also a powerlifter, albeit not competitive. What's your squat, bench, and deadlift?